EDAEB7F5-7DD1-453C-9770-B095C8540394.jpeg.3204e51b8c493b3af5f3d5d61925d97b.jpeg

Then some time at the park. 
Tractors on another day!

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 7

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)

Leaving in an hour for a week of crabbing, fishing, and swimming  with the sons and grandsons. on the Chesapeake Bay.     Pictures to follow.

One of our VRBO rentals yet.     Poor Wi Fi, so pics will not load.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Handy Don

Today we return three (12, 8, and 3) to their parents after a week here at our house. Right now taking a coffee break from the scavenger hunt for their clothes, shoes, toys, books, etc.

It’ll be interesting to hear how they adapt back to having bedtimes and not having their favorite foods at every meal--we grandparents are good at messing with the status quo, aren’t we?!

• Haha 8

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

we grandparents are good at messing with the

I believe that's the very first line in "Grandparents 101"

This one's only less than a month old but within 2 or 3 blinks he'll be hiking and camping with us. 

IMG_20240704_174508.jpg.ffdf49771adbfb5c6804accf1b5ddd2c.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 6

SylvanLakeWH
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

This one's only less than a month old but within 2 or 3 blinks he'll be hiking and camping and finishing Colossus 

with us. 

There, fixed it for ya... :handgestures-thumbupright:

:ychain:

• Haha 4
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

:ROTF:

Well played Jim. 

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@ oliver 2-44  @ebinmaine , grandkids are so special , the time goes by so quickly  , off to collage  , marine corps , electric boat , welding submarines . enjoy it , pete

• Like 2

adsm08

Just got back from a morning of boating/fishing with the wife and daughter (I fish, they just come for the boating). The boy got made to stay  home after throwing up last night.

• Like 2

oliver2-44
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I believe that's the very first line in "Grandparents 101"

My wife wrote that book!

• Haha 1

Sparky

I got to do my first babysitting gig “alone and unsupervised” for 90 minutes for my first and only granddaughter Grace 2 days ago! 
  Wife and daughter in law went blueberry picking and I got quality time:handgestures-thumbupright:

Grace is 3 months old. 

IMG_4177.jpeg

IMG_4180.jpeg

IMG_4184.jpeg

• Heart 7

peter lena

@Sparky  good for you ! its a humbling  / loving experience , my mother took in abandoned babies ,from the NYC  catholic charities , for 27 years x 2 babies a year , thats 54 babies ,my sisters and I were taught all the aspects / details  about  your little brother / sister . to this day  can hardly resist holding and watching over a baby . most gut wrenching part was turning over your little brother / sister , to one of the nuns , and getting another one . last photo , is telling you she is happy with grandpa ,  another grandpa , pete

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish

Being a grandparent is the best of all worlds. There's no downside to it! So much fun when they're little and really miss having young'ins around. Now the granddaughter starts her senior year of college and the grandson just graduated HS and starts college in the fall. Man did that go by too quickly.

We're lucky enough to be involved in their lives every single day since the day they were born. We had bought a 2 family house together so we all live on the same property. One of the best moments was making it on to their kindergarten stick figure artwork of their family. Yeah, I came in after their dog Sophie and on the curve down edge when they run out of space on the paper but still made it. LOL  

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

lynnmor
18 hours ago, Sparky said:

I got to do my first babysitting gig “alone and unsupervised” for 90 minutes for my first and only granddaughter Grace 2 days ago! 
  Wife and daughter in law went blueberry picking and I got quality time:handgestures-thumbupright:

Grace is 3 months old. 

Perfect timing, diaper change due in 91 minutes.  :eusa-hand:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Sparky
7 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Perfect timing, diaper change due in 91 minutes.  :eusa-hand:

LOL! I did feed her, but didn’t have to do a diaper swap. 

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

Some of you might remember my grandson Mason from the Big Show. Mason is 15-1/2 and has been saving money for a car. He and I test drove this 2004 Mercedes yesterday. I think he looks good in it...

IMG_20240715_084431.jpg.1a5fe6605f014891cb6e20e077ba783c.jpg

But as a grandad, I also think he should stick to his Wheel Horse's.

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
43 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

IMG_20240715_084431.jpg.1a5fe6605f014891cb6e20e077ba783c.jpg

If that’s in his price range, he is one successful saver! Good for him.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

When the time comes for a few parts, the savings will end.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

The guy (neighbor) that he does lawn cutting and landscaping for, is a golf pro and part owner of a golf club. He bought the car from a friend. He's offered it to Mason for $5500.00. Though Mason wants a classic Volvo station wagon with orange interior and stick shift, the Mercedes is enticing to say the least. Yes Mason has saved enough that he can pay cash for it.

• Excellent 4

Handy Don
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

The guy (neighbor) that he does lawn cutting and landscaping for, is a golf pro and part owner of a golf club. He bought the car from a friend. He's offered it to Mason for $5500.00. Though Mason wants a classic Volvo station wagon with orange interior and stick shift, the Mercedes is enticing to say the least. Yes Mason has saved enough that he can pay cash for it.

Thoroughly favorably biased owner of my third Volvo wagon here...

A low miles (<150k) 2004 to 2007 V70 can be found at surprisingly low prices--folks want SUVs not wagons. Some even with stick. My ’04 lasted to 300k. Not sexy, but immensely practical.

I’d think carefully before buying an R model (the incredibly sexy and fun to drive ones with the orange leather and stick) unless your disposable income can cover significant regular maintenance--on the order of 1-2k per year.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Handy Don had / have volvo,s forever , been bombproof for me , of course  I am very into MAINTIANCE ,  also actually  interested in how things are going , the shop that I have been going to , for decades is  getting towards the end , imagine someone actually telling you what's going on ?  also , regularly stay after   body  lubrication . rustproofing . you do a 100 k , service , and you are good for years . regularly check things out . zero rust on my cars , always look at  under side , chain / cable spray first , overspray with  heavy open gear spray , especially body seaming / joint areas , every time its on a lift , i,m there , with lubrication enhancement . do a service as it shows , stay in the safe zone . notice more of the new cars , are laying out , BRAKE LINES , IN THE WHEEL WELLS , DEFINETLY NOT A GOOD IDEA , people rarely wash acar let alone wash down the indreside , corrosive salt sit is eating cars alive , regularly , spray down hidden areas , regularly chain / cable lubrication , rather have an oil film in a seam / than rust , pete  

Beap52

There are great looking kids pictured in the above postings.  

Spent the past 13 days with grandbabies.  Left Southwest MO passing through Hannibal, MO but town was too full of folks so we continued to the "Field of Dreams" where the movie was made (and this picture taken).  Stayed several days at the Dells in Wisconsin the onward to  Mackinac Island for a visit and then homeward.  Pretty interesting trip.  The grandbabies did pretty good.  A lot of it was due to our daughter planning stops to stretch their legs and the movies playing in the back seat as well a plethora of video gadgets. The oldest, 10 years old, found it hard to believe that we vacationed without air conditioning, video gadgets and I don't remember dad ever stopping the car so we could stretch our legs!  

The youngest is special needs.  Papa and him are buds so he and I spent a lot of time together while the older ones got to do activities that he is not willing or able to do. 

20240707_134133.jpg

• Heart 3

Ed Kennell

Back home after spending the week with our two sons, wives and our four grandsons. 

Great time at a 23 acre VRBO  on the Choptank river eating, crabbing, swimming, wildlife watching.   

Rabbits, deer, herons, and bald eagles were there all week.

FullSizeR(9).jpg.87759d088ee9d60af0d084d28f01dc66.jpg

Too much sun or beverage?

IMG_0403.jpg.055d3a1ccb58f129de8c938f1c750a27.jpg

1251173190_100_0479-Copy.JPG.33891fb1c99b3467a8f92666cb28de1f.JPG100_0469.JPG.80fdb476ddb93a8faeb28319ce50d4d5.JPG100_0509.JPG.f607a1feff55c1dd08b0a20884bd9501.JPG100_0494.JPG.0270b6b604d5fdf8b40072aef61c2531.JPG100_0486.JPG.4e5e588c227116800473674589634312.JPG

And what made my life complete.

1393900961_IMG_8408-Copy.jpg.45bb0f5aa8dfce9ff714a80174a40790.jpg

L to R

Reed    25yo

Grad of Penn State with Astro Physics and Astro Eng. degrees.   Worked 2 years at Hershey medical center lab.    Was accepted a Lehigh U. for for Astro Physics  grad work and just received a fellowship after his first year.   Works as a TA at Lehigh U. and is an accomplished musician playing guitar and singing in the Lehigh area.   Just bought a house in Lehigh and is busy remodeling  to get ready to move in this fall and rent to a couple classmates.

Reed's brother Jacob     21yo

Grad of Gettysburg College this spring with music and enviro. sci. degrees.    Jake is an amazing  piano and drum musician performing in the Gettysburg College marching band, concert band, and jazz bands and performing in many concerts  at the Gettysburg Majestic Theater.

He will be returning to his high school to work in the music dept.

Reed's cousin  Owen   20yo

Starting his final year a Penn State this fall  and will graduate with Business degree.   Owen is a manager for the PSU football team and will probably be looking at a career in sports business.

Owen's brother    Clayton 22 yo

Clayton graduated from Penn State this spring with Accounting and Business degrees.     He is currently working as a counselor at a youth camp while he completes the requirements to secure his CPA license.    He will be starting with a local corporate accounting firm this fall.

Is Umpa proud of his six boys ...you betcha.

• Like 4
  • Heart 3

adsm08
On 7/15/2024 at 12:48 PM, rmaynard said:

I question his choice of interior colors. Otherwise that Volvo is a solid car.

wallfish

My grandson said his car was making a weird noise. So I said "Hop in and let's take it for test drive" . Drove to auto parts on the test drive and bought some front brake pads.

I did the first side to show him what to do and he did the other side. We inspected the rotors and they were flat and fine with no outer lip from being worn. His brakes don't pulse at all so pads only this time.

"Thanks Pop, I can probably do this by myself the next time" he said

Looks like a tool set is the gift for Christmas.

He was never really interested in mechanical things but he's 18 now and driving, plus a few of his friends are into car stuff. I think the majority of us probably started out learning on cars / motorcycles.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, wallfish said:

I did the first side to show him what to do and HE DID THE OTHER SIDE 

Nicely done John

• Thanks 1