horseman with no horse

picked up a few onans finally

horseman with no horse

i picked up a p218 complete but partially disassembled its got the 1 7/16 inch crank. paid 160. ordered a gasket kit for it plus a spare. got a p220 complete and assembled its got the 1 7 /16 crank too, apparently it looses spark when its warmed up. and a b48m (not sure the crank size but it came out a case 446) with its whole ignition missing minus the points plunger and the spark plugs in the heads. its also missing part of the carb and the whole air cleaner. paid 250 for the pair. all in all i think im gonna want to fix mainly the p220 as it fits so good on ruby. im definitely gonna make the p218 nice too. i really like the b48m but i dont know where i can get an ignition kit and carb for reasonable price. also does anyone know where i can get a pulley for it? im gonna run it pullet swapped anyway but the smallest i could find that would fit was a 6.75 inch pulley on Mcmaster-carr

• Like 2

horseman with no horse

762967403_Screenshot2024-06-26223729.png.7e3c2db568cbd66472fff99e705d4bcb.pngthe p220 on ruby the speed horse

• Like 1

lynnmor

Check Surplus Center and see if they have a pulley that will fit or can be bored to fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RED-Z06

That crank size was used by Deere on the 300/400 series.

Compression test the 220 before you get too far along...you want to see 120ish both sides 

• Thanks 1

horseman with no horse
8 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

you want to see 120ish both sides 

that seems a bit hopeful on an old Flathead? id be happy to see 90-100. im gonna do a leakdown test since that will be more definitive of the engines over all health. if that turns out good then its probably mechanically intact.

horseman with no horse

as for the b43m does anyone have any input on where i can get ignition/carb parts for a fair price?

RED-Z06
29 minutes ago, horseman with no horse said:

that seems a bit hopeful on an old Flathead? id be happy to see 90-100. im gonna do a leakdown test since that will be more definitive of the engines over all health. if that turns out good then its probably mechanically intact.

B series was a bit lower, 95ish.  But the P series, 115-130 is the healthy range.  My p220 blew 125 on both sides with no liquid added the the cylinders.

RED-Z06
32 minutes ago, horseman with no horse said:

as for the b43m does anyone have any input on where i can get ignition/carb parts for a fair price?

166-0772 should be the points coil on Amazon, usually comes with condenser.

Points also readily available 

Screenshot_20240627_203600_Chrome.jpg

• Excellent 1

horseman with no horse

LOL i noticed the condensor was loose on the p220, i tightened it up and proceeded to run it on ruby in test bench mode for 25 plus minutes with throttling up and down here and there. didnt skip a beat. im hoping that was the issue, also im gonna do a leak down test once i do spark plugs.

Edited by horseman with no horse