squonk

Reminds me of a miniature Rumley Oil Pull :banana-wrench:

IMG_7035.jpeg

Advance-Rumely - Wikipedia

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

I am already enjoying this tractor, and have done some side trail maintenance by running it at a 45 and trimming the overgrowth on my back driveway, including small shrubs and trees up to 1” diameter.  They fall like they were zapped with a laser beam!  I did find out that it becomes quite unbalanced when the weight is hanging like that, and feel like a little more left side weight would be smart.  Luckily I operate this at a very slow and manageable speed and am kind of always on the defense, so it tipped a bit and I was ready to counter the movement.  

I think I need a sticker, “WARNING! Safety Flip Flops Required!”  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

sqrlgtr

Well done sir, I mean what can you buy for $150 anymore? I always wanted me a WH side mount sicklemower. Looks like they would be perfect for mowing under fences...

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I saw that one go by in the Big Show cruise videos.  Thought it was @Pullstart driving.

Was wondering what the apparatus was on the front.  My initial thought was maybe a wood gas generator.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

cafoose
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

Well done sir, I mean what can you buy for $150 anymore? I always wanted me a WH side mount sicklemower. Looks like they would be perfect for mowing under fences...

I got a 50 inch sickle that I'm currently adapting to a 953 I got at last year's show from @Ed Kennell sitting in my garage. I still have a few things to do to complete it. Hopefully I can get it going before long :banana-wrench: @sqrlgtr you're welcome to check it out sometime :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by cafoose
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart
41 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Was wondering what the apparatus was on the front.  My initial thought was maybe a wood gas generator.

A gasifier would be a cool :wh: attachment!

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)

74094777480__E1C69FF6-B2D9-479B-BA8D-0237057FAC2A.jpeg

Another one Red Green would like.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, cafoose said:

I got a 50 inch sickle that I'm currently adapting to a 953 I got at last year's show from @Ed Kennell sitting in my garage. I still have a few things to do to complete it. Hopefully I can get it going before long :banana-wrench: @sqrlgtr you're welcome to check it out sometime :handgestures-thumbupright:

I will if you ever get back home :laughing-rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

cafoose
1 hour ago, sqrlgtr said:

I will if you ever get back home :laughing-rofl:

Can't help it, I don't get away much and it's good to see family and friends :) 'sides my sister is a good cook :lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

Retired Wrencher

Hi Kevin Nice set up and sickle bar looks to do a good job. Enjoy the ride. I sent you a pm. 

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
19 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I picked up a front sickle mower for $30, thanks to @cafoose for that assist!  That could give me about an 80” cut if I were to make the, work together.

I really like the cement weight hanging up front too, just a little more creativity!  As Paul tried to convince me, there isn’t a ton of room to adapt my HY3 kit.  The electric pump will stay.

I spent some time giving it a grease job, checking oil, etc.  the 8 speed trans makes a funky noise in 2 hi, but @roadapples brother Guy gifted me another 8 speed.  I’ll keep it aside just in case that noise proves to be detrimental.

IMG_7044.jpeg

IMG_7045.jpeg

IMG_7054.jpeg

74094776159__5DC182AF-6C1B-4346-B406-DA0AFD23B4BB.jpeg

74094777480__E1C69FF6-B2D9-479B-BA8D-0237057FAC2A.jpeg

You have a gift of thinking out of the box

• Thanks 1

ri702bill
19 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

Looks like they would be perfect for mowing under fences...

'Til you get to the next post.....

ri702bill

The last thing a varmint sees coming at them..... Great start for "tick abatement"

IMG_7045.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

I did a little spiffing up this morning.  I stacked two wheel weights on the left rear, as a counterbalance.  Thanks @rjg854!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

IMG_7092.jpeg.ff81ccd443df48c44cfebeafd06f8378.jpeg

There were a couple sharp zip ties, so I trimmed them up flush and added a few more on the hydraulic hoses to keep them in place.  The battery strap lost it’s nuts, so I placed a backer on each bolt and tightened new ones in place.

IMG_7093.jpeg.0c16c44955520ebbb859e49422b42e9d.jpeg

So far, the hydraulic cylinder has backed out of the end twice or maybe three times.  I used a 1/4” bolt as a set screw.  I did the trick by tightening snug, then backing off, then snugging further, etc.  eventually I got about 1/2 turn more than tight before the bolt snapped, then I filed it smooth and added a jam nut.  I’ll keep an eye on that.  If it backs out again, I might tack weld the shaft to the clevis, or drill it out and place a pin where the set screw was, or back the clevis off and grind a flat, for a real set screw to hold tight.

IMG_7094.jpeg.dd7a76d78c3dd3b81e305dbf5ce980c3.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

squonk
38 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

drill it out and place a pin where the set screw was, 

IMG_7094.jpeg.dd7a76d78c3dd3b81e305dbf5ce980c3.jpeg

Yeppers! :tools-hammerdrill:

Tractorhead

Would give em two spotwelds on the shaft.

I had on all my Hydraulic cylindre welded up the ends.

Get a newspaper and an old rag and wind it arround to be shure you have no spots on it after welding process.

Keep the newspaper and the rag moisty but not too wet.

when it began to damp take a break for cooling.

first upperside than underside, than after cooling left side and at least right side.

So it will not move in a direction you don‘t want.

Distance from the wrapping Area to the weldingarea about 1/2“ 

That lasts forever.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

• Excellent 1

sqrlgtr

Nice Pullstart makes me want one even more!!!!!!!!:D

• Thanks 1

cafoose
7 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

Nice Pullstart makes me want one even more!!!!!!!!:D

@sqrlgtr if you're good you can play with my 953 when it's finished :lol: I'm heading home today :auto-driving: Hopefully I'll be there sometime this evening :auto-swerve:

sqrlgtr

Quick ? How much of an angle will the sickle come up and still work?

sqrlgtr
Just now, cafoose said:

@sqrlgtr if you're good you can play with my 953 when it's finished :lol: I'm heading home today :auto-driving: Hopefully I'll be there sometime this evening :auto-swerve:

Looking forward to it....

• Excellent 1

cafoose
2 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

I've heard most any angle but I never ran one yet. I believe @Racinbob runs his at an angle sometimes.

Sickle_Bar_102621_b.jpg.3317e6ae4838c341c66a7676f1fce3d4.jpg.110978520eff0e00ea57457ebfa957e2.jpg

• Excellent 1

Racinbob
11 minutes ago, sqrlgtr said:

As long as it's got the same wobble box as mine any angle from horizontal to vertical. The box moves with the cutter bar so there absolutely no mechanical issues and it runs full of lube so that's not a problem. I use mine at a 45° =/- angle almost 100% of the time. :)

• Like 1