Bill D

Metal cutting chop saw

Bill D

What do you folks have for a metal cutting chop saw?  My abrasive saw died.  I'm looking at various dry cut metal chop saws from Evolution and Fein.  Any recommendations and why?  Thanks.

peter lena

@Bill D  https://www.google.com/search?q=porta+band+saw+table&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=porta+band+&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgGEAAYgAQyBwgAEAAYgAQyCQgBEAAYChiABDIGCAIQRRg5MgcIAxAAGIAEMgcIBBAAGIAEMgcIBRAAGIAEMgcIBhAAGIAEMgcIBxAAGIAEMgoICBAuGIAEGOUEMgcICRAAGIAE0gEJMTc2MzdqMGo0qAIAsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  worked in a metal / weld shop , had a porta band , on every bench end , was always making up brackets / fittings , also had pipe / tube flaring , set up . also had a ridgid tubing bender , set up , make anything , good ideas , pete

wallfish

Go with a band saw instead is my recommendation

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Bill D

My neighbor is giving me an abrasive chop saw for free.  That solves my short term needs.  I see the wisdom of buying a band saw, or converting my current bandsaw to metal cutting duties.  One of my neighbors uses a metal cutting chop saw at his job and likes it.  Anyone here own a dry cutting metal saw?

OoPEZoO

Yup....I have a run of the mill Craftsman 14" chop saw that came with an abrasive wheel on it.  The first thing I did was swapped it out for a 14" diamond edge cutting blade.  The blades are not cheap, but In my opinion, its the only way to go.  Especially for cutting things like angle iron or box tubing.  If you let the saw do the work, and not lean into it, the blade will last a very long time.  They cut clean and it doesn't heat up the metal nearly as much as an abrasive wheel or band saw.  I have a band saw as well, and it serves its purpose, but when I want easily repeatable cuts for things like angled brackets, I always reach for the chop saw.  I have mine mounted to a piece of plywood with mounting brackets on it so I can snap it on to my miter saw stand.

Those metal cutting blades have come a long way in the past few years.  In fact, last time I was cutting 1/4" plate, I grabbed one for a circular saw and was blown away by how good of a job it did.  I clamped a straight edge to the plate, and just zipped right through it.  Previously I had always used my plasma cutter for big things like that, but the circ saw left a perfect clean edge that I didn't have to go back and clean up.  Saved me a ton of time for the big cuts.

sqrlgtr

Mine is a cheap off brand I got from Tractor Supply, maybe Black Bull or something like that. I did melt the wires going to the switch when I was cutting old carbide tippred snow blade edges that came off of state trucks :laughing-rofl:, but after fixing that it's still going strong. 

Mickwhitt

Steer clear of the evolution type saws, one the expensive blade dulls you are sunk.

I use a milwaukee M12 hand held bandsaw. It's pretty good for most stock chopping jobs and way easier to handle than lugging a chop saw about. 

I use a Donkey saw for most big cuts, power hacksaw that is. 

sqrlgtr
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

Steer clear of the evolution type saws, one the expensive blade dulls you are sunk.

I use a milwaukee M12 hand held bandsaw. It's pretty good for most stock chopping jobs and way easier to handle than lugging a chop saw about. 

I use a Donkey saw for most big cuts, power hacksaw that is. 

I already have a corded electric band saw but will defiantly go cordless if it ever bites the dust. Chop saws and bandsaws both have there place but if I could only have one it would be the portable bandsaw.

• Like 1