cJ_3D

Hello everyone! 

Thought I would post a new thread on this as I wasn't able to find the information I was looking for. But I'm trying to get this drive belt on my 252-H and no matter what I try I can't get it on. I got a 1/2" x 76" so I know its the correct size belt. I followed the steps outlined in the manual which I've attached, and is shown on page 15. So I loosened the cross bar nuts and the flat idler adjustment pulley. And followed the routing from this guide: http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/wheel_horse_hydro_252-h_drive_belt.asp

I just can't get enough slack on it to get it over the engine pulley! Right now it's pinched up between the body and the pulley so possibly I can't get enough leverage, do I need to somehow work it from below the pulley? Doesn't help the pulley keeps coming off the shaft so I have it propped up using a scissor jack which is cumbersome to work around. I don't have a shop or anyway I can think of to safely stand the mower up and not sure about tipping it on it's side. Anyone who has done this particular belt on this mower before have any tips or suggestions for how to get this thing on?

Thanks for the help friends!

CJ

492-4003 Eaton 7 & Peerless 1320 SM.pdf

gwest_ca

The flat idler closest to the engine is mounted in a slotted hole. That would give you a bit of slack. Try putting the belt on this pulley last. It would require less slack than the engine pulley.

https://www.partstree.com/models/22-13ke01-252-h-toro-yard-tractor-1988/drive-belt-and-pulleys-automatic-model-9/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
Posted (edited)

On the later hydro horizontal-shaft WHs, the drive belt can be very challenging to fit--especially a new one that hasn’t been “broken in” to flex easily.

The solution for me was to remove the tensioner pulley, thread the belt, and then, with the belt in the pulley groove, re-attach it.

Is something like that an option for you?

Edited by Handy Don
  • Thanks 1

cJ_3D
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

On the later hydro horizontal-shaft WHs, the drive belt can be very challenging to fit--especially a new one that hasn’t been “broken in” to flex easily.

The solution for me was to remove the tensioner pulley, thread the belt, and then, with the belt in the pulley groove, re-attach it.

Oh! Thats a good idea! Is that pulley hard to get back in its slot to tighten back up once its off? I considered this but wasn't sure of I was then gonna have some issues with getting that pulley back on. But I'll give that a shot too! Thanks so much Handy!

cJ_3D
21 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

The flat idler closest to the engine is mounted in a slotted hole. That would give you a bit of slack. Try putting the belt on this pulley last. It would require less slack than the engine pulley.

https://www.partstree.com/models/22-13ke01-252-h-toro-yard-tractor-1988/drive-belt-and-pulleys-automatic-model-9/

Hey Gwest! Nice tip! Ok I'll give this a shot first and see if I can get it and if not I think between this and Handy's suggestion I may be able to get it. Thanks again guys you all are the best! 

CJ

• Like 1

cJ_3D

Still couldn't get it. I just can't get enough slack. Calling in one of my mechanic buddies whose a little more adept than I at these things to see if he can finagle it. If anyone else has any tips would love to hear any and all of them. May help him out as well. 

CJ

cJ_3D
11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Hey @Handy Don, by removing the tensioner pulley, are you referring to part number 10 in the parts link that Gwest posted? Or do you mean one of the pulleys in the rear near the transmission? 

Thanks! 

CJ

Handy Don
13 hours ago, cJ_3D said:

removing the tensioner pulley,

I was referring to the setup in the horizontal engine WHs with hydro transmissions and wondering if there was a similar mechanism in your vertical engine machine. I don’t have any first hand knowledge of the 200 series drive system. Sorry.