Chevy_59

Couple of rookie questions

Chevy_59

Been working  the last few days getting ready to make our first pilgrimage to the big show. We stopped for a couple hours last year on our way home from New York but this will be our first time coming and bringing a couple tractors. Anyways, what would be the best route for a fool to bring his wife and kids in a 40 year old motorhome towing a trailer with 60 year old tractors from Northeastern Ohio? I definitely don't want to take the route we went home on last year. It was kinda fun in a suburban with no trailer but would be white knuckle in my rig. Been trying to look on google maps but it doesn't seem to be giving me a good judge of the terrain. Also, when should I shoot for getting there to get a spot with electric? I haven't had the time to make sure the generator works in the motorhome and it's been a few years since I ran it last. Was originally planning on driving suburban and tent camping but with the heat the wife would rather take the Winnie. Looking forward to a couple days of red tractors and hopefully learning some stuff and getting some parts for projects.

• Excellent 1

JoeM

@Pullstart Runs from Michigan to the show every year in tow and camper. He will be the guy that knows.

• Like 1

WHX??
Posted (edited)

Best bet is to get ther early Thursday morning to get that electric spot. Pullstart may be kind enough to save you a spot but it is first come first serve.

As for the best route coming from the west I'll let the PA boys chime in on that. There are are some "hills" you may want to avoid with your rig. 

Edited by WHX??

Pullstart

Here’s a link to this topic, but whatever you do, don’t get off the turnpike until 997!

Follow the red arrows on this map!

IMG_8727.jpeg

• Like 2

Mike'sHorseBarn

You're gonna have several mountain ranges to over regardless of how you come. Honestly when I was out at @Pullstart plow day this spring I came though Cleveland on the way home and took I80 across to avoid tolls on the tunpike. They'll nail the crap out of you with a camper. Off 80 you take exit 123 to Route 22 to Route 522 and then 641 into Shippensburg and you're almost there.  

715798349_NEOhio.JPG.ce26cec14c9d3707d4b6d9245df7238c.JPG

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
28 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

You're gonna have several mountain ranges to over regardless of how you come. Honestly when I was out at @Pullstart plow day this spring I came though Cleveland on the way home and took I80 across to avoid tolls on the tunpike. They'll nail the crap out of you with a camper. Off 80 you take exit 123 to Route 22 to Route 522 and then 641 into Shippensburg and you're almost there.  

715798349_NEOhio.JPG.ce26cec14c9d3707d4b6d9245df7238c.JPG

Did you and Ally go through Sandusky to Toledo too?  I am thinking maybe a hybrid pass, taking the turnpike through Ohio, then staying 80 instead of 76.  I have an ezpass too, so the toll that tolls take is less tolling…

Mike'sHorseBarn
10 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Did you and Ally go through Sandusky to Toledo too?  I am thinking maybe a hybrid pass, taking the turnpike through Ohio, then staying 80 instead of 76.  I have an ezpass too, so the toll that tolls take is less tolling…

We did and it wasn't bad at all. Cleveland sucked so I'd go around that next time. On the way out we went a little more south and went though more central Ohio through Akron and turned north in Findlay Ohio. Very scenic that was. Lots of tractor sitting in weeds along that route lol

As far as 80 vs 76 I'd do that. Much more scenic and places to pull over if the need arises. 

• Like 1

squonk
Posted (edited)

I'm not sure on the electric capacity of the fairgrounds. With the heat, everyone who is plugged in will be running or trying to run their AC units. My wife worked at a state park a few summers. Burned up cords and a few burned up campers! :shock: When the voltage is low the amps go up and that means heat!  I stay at a hotel every year and the cost is worth it when it's hot and when it rains.

Pro Tip: If you run your AC either by cord or by Genny, run your fridge on gas. Your food and wiring will stay cooler. I made a few bucks the same time my wife was at the park by just turning a camper's fridge to gas. Got some good lunches too! :banana-wrench::banana-linedance:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

WHX??
6 minutes ago, squonk said:

stay at a hotel every year and the cost is worth it when it's hot and when it rains.

Sally! :lol:

• Haha 3

Horsin'round
41 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

As far as 80 vs 76 I'd do that. Much more scenic and places to pull over if the need arises

I would opt for the northern route through PA, rather than the king's highway.  If you stay on 80 to the Bellefonte exit,  then navigate 322 to Harrisburg,  it may take a bit longer,  but the line is a lot less squiggly on the map. Pulling a trailer,  that would be preferable to me. Just my :twocents-twocents:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

11 minutes ago, Horsin'round said:

I would opt for the northern route through PA, rather than the king's highway.  If you stay on 80 to the Bellefonte exit,  then navigate 322 to Harrisburg,  it may take a bit longer,  but the line is a lot less squiggly on the map. Pulling a trailer,  that would be preferable to me. Just my :twocents-twocents:

:text-yeahthat: No tolls and good interstate highways,  but you still have to climb the Appalachian unless you pay the price and use the tunnels on 76.

• Like 1

squonk
35 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

My tractor shed doesn't have any "Flower Pots" in it! :lol:

• Haha 5

Chevy_59
44 minutes ago, Horsin'round said:

I was planning on taking 80 just was trying to decide the best place to get off, was looking at the 322 option or was also seeing about going over by Watsontown and taking 15 to Harrisburg and then on down to  234 are come into the fairgrounds from the East. I remember a few years back taking 80 to 322 to 522 to get to Beaver Springs towing my car and there were a few spots that i wouldn't want to tackle in the RV, just not sure whether they were on 322 or 522.

Chevy_59
1 hour ago, squonk said:

I'm not sure on the electric capacity of the fairgrounds. With the heat, everyone who is plugged in will be running or trying to run their AC units. My wife worked at a state park a few summers. Burned up cords and a few burned up campers! :shock: When the voltage is low the amps go up and that means heat!  I stay at a hotel every year and the cost is worth it when it's hot and when it rains.

Pro Tip: If you run your AC either by cord or by Genny, run your fridge on gas. Your food and wiring will stay cooler. I made a few bucks the same time my wife was at the park by just turning a camper's fridge to gas. Got some good lunches too! :banana-wrench::banana-linedance:

I've never ran the fridge on gas yet, but not afraid to try. Just never took the time to figure it out. 

squonk
25 minutes ago, Chevy_59 said:

I've never ran the fridge on gas yet, but not afraid to try. Just never took the time to figure it out. 

Quite often with a lot of campers on the same line running the AC there isn't enough power to run the fridge properly. They will cool some but don't plan on it being 38°

rjg854
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Nice comfy bed, all the hot water you could want, internet, and good home cooking at the Chambersburg Restaurant.   :text-bravo: 

Don't even have to eat off the ground.  :teasing-neener:

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??
4 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

Nice comfy bed, all the hot water you could want, internet, and good home cooking at the Chambersburg Restaurant.   :text-bravo: 

Not nice to see he's got you turned to the dark side too....:disgust::lol:

adsm08

I agree with the few guys who said to stay off the turnpike.  The extra you spend on gas will be made up in what you save on tolls.

The route through Bellfonte is a good one if you know it, or have a GPS. For someone unfamiliar with the route I would take I80 across to Lewisburg and get off on to US15 south bound. From there it is a straight shot down 15 to 234/Heidlersburg Rd. From there you can literally follow the signs into Ardentsville, turn right a the T in town, and that goes to the fair grounds.

I've run both routes coming home from Erie, and despite what the GPS will say, travel time is very similar.

• Like 2