Jordanjames

Transmission overhaul and model

Jordanjames
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Jordanjames

I'm just curious if you know EXACTLY when your transmission stopped? 

Catastrophic event or over time?

Just boom one shot. Ran amazing all winter . Was going to cut the grass short before tilling and boom no more movement . Had to lift it on forks to get it to the garage 

Jordanjames
8 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

My thoughts exactly Mike.  Not much there, but it is fixable...maybe.  Jordenjames needs to give us some good pictures of all the gears and the indside of the trans cases...especially where that shaft goes.  :occasion-xmas:  I would also like to have pictures of that plate that shows the model numbers.

He said it was a 1974, but his numbers aren't matching up.  I am thinking it is a 16 hp 1-0380 "C-160" with a #5091 trans.  8 speed with 1 1/8" axles and an 8 pinion differential.  :bow-blue:

20240610_200904.jpg

• Thanks 1

Jordanjames

IMG_03841.jpg

• Excellent 1

Jordanjames

20240818_220510.jpg

• Excellent 1

Jordanjames

Purchased from original owner 

Jordanjames

20240818_220209.jpg

Jordanjames

20240818_220121.jpg

squonk
9 hours ago, Jordanjames said:

IMG_03841.jpg

That's the 2nd fork bolt I 've seen broken like that. Can't tell if the fork is damaged or not. Do not throw those away. I'm hoping to find someone who can reproduce them. 

How does the transmission case look where the gear pin passes through? 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

The "9" was throwing me.  Your model number is 1-0380.  The "9" is your spec number...and I believe you take the 9 subtract 5 from it and you get "4" which means 1974 (the year of your horse).  Your transmission is the Wheel Horse #5091 with 1 1/8" axles and an 8 pinion differential.  The horse is a C-160.  (16 hp) :handgestures-thumbupright:

Jordanjames

I've found most of the parts but I'm looking for the high low shifter and bolt assembly 

stevasaurus

Have you tried Toro dealer ??  How about Lowell at Wheel Horse Parts & More and/or A to Z...both vendors on this site ??  :occasion-xmas:

squonk

Brian has some of the shifter forks. 

20240802_221635[2].jpg

• Like 1

Jordanjames

It is now looking a new transmission is the more economical way to fix the tractor. 

• Like 1

Jordanjames

My question is what's the year range for compatible transmisions. I'm going to see one tomorrow 

953 nut

Any Wheel Horse eight speed transaxle will bolt up to your frame, the brake linkage configuration changed in about 1969, @stevasaurus will know the year. Axle sizes are another consideration if you are using your hubs on the replacement unit.

Take a picture of the brake band mounting on your transaxle with you to compare it to the one you plan to buy to be sure they are the same.

stevasaurus

The #5091 trans was used from 1973 to 1976 if you want the same trans.  Any 8 speed should bolt right in, but check axle diameter in the newer ones...they came with both 1" and 1 1/8" axles.  I'm not sure if the linkage is the same in the newer ones.  :handgestures-thumbupright: