Erik1979

310-8 Won't Shift into Low gear

Erik1979

Good Morning!

I recently acquired a 310-8 Wheel Horse tractor with a tiller attachment to till some fields in the back yard.  This setup was working great until last weekend when the Tractor shifted itself into High gear and wouldn't shift out. 

I generally do a lot of reading and research before posting anything in forums. I've managed to remove the Unidrive 8 speed Transmission and I've discovered the usual culprit High/low fork is completely broken. 

I'm not completely sure where I could pickup a replacement.

The Serial number (ID Number) listed under the Seat is 2110K806          35097

I'm hoping some of you guru's can help to point me in the right direction.

I am having issues removing the input shaft and would also like some advice for that process, as all the videos I've found online for this seem to jump past the process of removing this and I won't want to damage anything. 

Thank you all in advance, 

Erik

• Like 2

WHX??
1 hour ago, Erik1979 said:

removing the input shaft

Guessing you mean removing the pulley? 

If so make sure the set screw is out completely and get some penetrant oil on it. 

A small puller works if you can get behind it. other wise a couple of wooden wedges behind it. 

Most likely shift fork but who knows untill the case is split. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

This site has a couple vendors that might be able to help you out with parts. You could also place an ad in our wanted classified.

Never know who's got what laying around. I may even have that shift fork for you.

• Like 1

Erik1979

Thank you all.

I may have gotten lucky and ordered the last one available from a-ztractor.com

I've got the case split. The Differential is out.

The oil was nice and brown, and I've definitely got some cleaning up to do to remove some rust.

I've been spending some time this morning watching some rebuild videos on YouTube and reading through the Transmission Manual.

I'm glad I did. I had no idea that the shifting forks were held in by ball bearings. 

I'll make a point to take some photos when I get home and back to work on it to post here. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Erik1979 said:

back to work on it

niiiiice....

Keep asking questions.  

You'll be fine. 

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Here are my videos if you have not seen them.  The 1st is an 8 speed with the 8 pinion differential.  The 2nd is an 8 speed with the 10 pinion differential.  The hi/low mechanism is the same in both transmissions.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Erik1979

I've managed to get most of the Tranny apart. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the plug holding the ball bearings/spring in place?

I'm attaching photos (as promised) of where I'm at and the interns who are helping me out on the project. 

download (5).jpg

download (4).jpg

download (3).jpg

download (2).jpg

7dcb3fa2-45c0-4815-937d-32839bf1be28.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Erik1979 said:

interns who are helping me out

Buff Orpington?

13 minutes ago, Erik1979 said:

suggestions on how to remove the plug

Is it a solid steel plug like a baby miniature freeze plug? You might be able to drill it very carefully, then stick a screw in it. Then pull the screw with pliers.

• Like 2

Erik1979

Thanks Eric.

Yes, I got a flock of 20 Buff Orpington's this year. They've been great to have around the home. Not too good at turning wrenches, but they're trying!

I was thinking I may have to drill it out, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier method.

What should I replace this with when I'm re-assembling this? Gasket sealant? Silicone? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, Erik1979 said:

Thanks Eric.

Yes, I got a flock of 20 Buff Orpington's this year. They've been great to have around the home. Not too good at turning wrenches, but they're trying!

I was thinking I may have to drill it out, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easier method.

What should I replace this with when I'm re-assembling this? Gasket sealant? Silicone? 

5 years ago we got a dozen Buff Orpington chicks. 

Some went to neighbors. 

We still have 8 hens. Still getting eggs too.  

20240603_183027.jpg.71f615e624b96d7a81c8914be44ed345.jpg

Live shot of the backyahd. 

Silicone will work just fine to reseal.  

When disassembling...

BE VERY AWARE of where those  :bitch: balls go. 

They are considered mythical in the ability to disappear under the absolute heaviest bench. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Eric is correct...drill just enough to get through it.  It is a 1/4" hole, try a 1/8" drill 1st.  When you finish the trans, plug it with a bit of silicone grease will work also.  That sits up against the trans mounting plate, it does not leak if you do not plug it.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

Erik1979

Awesome, Thanks for all the support.

I'm not sure what this forum's policy is on recommending retailers, but I would in no way recommend small engines pro dealer. I placed an order a week ago for gaskets and seals for this project. I called today to get a status update and found they didn't actually have the parts. I cancelled the order and ordered from ebay. 

I'll do my best to keep those ball bearings once I get them out. 

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Erik1979 said:

have the parts

For future reference,  we have a few very good vendors signed up with this site. 

You found A to Z Tractor in PA already. 

K & B Horse Parts is excellent.  

Wheelhorsepartsandmore would likely have all the gaskets you'd need for that transmission.  

Whatever you need.... just ask.  

• Like 3