sqrlgtr

Hello All, I am converting the rear hubs on a c-160 from lug bolts to lug studs and was wondering if the run of the mill auto parts store 7/16-20 lug nuts fit the Wheel Horse rims or not. The last time I did this a purchased a kit with the studs and lug nuts all together. The lug nuts I have on hand look like the taper is too big but these might be m12.5 nuts and I dont have any 7/16-20 handy to compare Hoping someone might know before I go through the trouble of ordering/buying some lol. I like the looks of the original lug bolts but studs sure make mounting loaded tires easier to mount lol...

Sparky

I thought they were a finer thread than that :eusa-think:

Might be wrong, I’m wrong a lot! 

• Haha 1

sqrlgtr

Thread in hub is definitely 7/16-20, I already have some grade 8 bolts screwed into hubs. Just unclear if the 7/16-20 lug nuts will match the wheel lug nut hole taper on the Wheel Horse rims.

• Thanks 1

squonk

I use Chevy Camaro 7/16 nuts. They don't exactly match the taper on the hole but we're not running at Talladega with them either. I torque them to 50 ft. Lbs. And have no issues.

• Like 2

sqrlgtr
22 minutes ago, squonk said:

I use Chevy Camaro 7/16 nuts. They don't exactly match the taper on the hole but we're not running at Talladega with them either. I torque them to 50 ft. Lbs. And have no issues.

squonk,

Thanks thats what I was looking for I thought they looked a little different but as long as they will work I will be satisfied lol... 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, squonk said:

:text-yeahthat:

I've been using stock replacement 1960s Chevy lugnuts for several years on several tractors. I believe it was @squonk that gave me the info in the first place. 

My tractors are HEAVY and I pull heavy too. 

Never an issue. 

(I also have never run mine at Talladega)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

kpinnc

Yes 7/16 x 20 are correct. I use 1 and 3/4 bolts with lock washers and regular lug nuts. 

This pic has spacers, but still the same thing. 

IMG_20240425_121609912.jpg

• Like 3

Tonytoro416

I also did the same thing on my 416.  These are 300 series John Deere rear wheels. They are 8.5” wide.  I wanted to use a 10.50 tire but also flatten out the contact point of the tire for a wider footprint 

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0254.jpeg

• Like 3

Lee1977

The Chevy lug nuts fit down in the recess area and work great in the Wheel Horse wheels, they just don't fit down in the hole taper.