cmort

New member. Save an old Wheel Horse or buy a new (old) Wheel Horse

cmort

Hello! 

I am a new member looking for advice to get a working Wheel Horse back in my life.

When I was about 7 or 8, my dad got the family a new 308-8.  Within a few years, I joined my brothers in using the tractor for mowing chores.  It got a mix of abuse, maintenance, and neglect for 24 years or so, and never let us down.  Since then, family commitments have gotten in the way and it's been pure neglect for old horse.  The maintenance of my mom's property has fallen to landscapers whose fees were at first reasonable, and are now absurdly high (she lives in an area that has been largely taken over by NYC weekenders and remote-workers, which has driven up rates).

I now have a little more time and a son who is getting into his 'mowing years'.  I want a functional garden tractor for my mom's property again.  It would be used for regular mowing, what I'll call 'rough mowing' (keeping brush I've cleared recently down), and pulling a cart.

I considered a few different options before recognizing that I won't be satisfied or happy using a different kind of garden tractor.

My first thought was to fix up the old one (it was run dry, stored in a garage, and it was always easily brought back to life in the past).  The obvious problem is that it needs 4 new tires.  New that seems like a few hundred bucks unless the rims are too rusted.  I found a listing for 4 used rims and tires for 100.  The next problem is I don't really know how much will have gone wrong after it sitting for 10 years. 

Now I'm looking at used listings, and it looks like working Wheel Horses can be had for 500 and up, most of which are more powerful than our old one.  

The second option seems more sensible to me, but I am open to advice on the topic. 

Can someone point me to a post describing what a good pre purchase inspection should include? 

Will I find someone here to give the old one to (free) to save it from the scrapyard?

Any models to avoid for reliability or parts availability concerns? 

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any advice!

• Like 4

ri702bill
Posted (edited)

Welcome!! Hard to go wrong with a properly preserved Wheel Horse...  DO look over the compiled Document about New to Herd WH Tractor Checklist. Full of Do's and Dont's for a new owner....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 8

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to :rs:

There are many models from 1972 up that would use the implement(s) you already have. 

Given that you're familiar with the 300 series you could add a little power and get a 312 314 414 416 etc. 

To keep wiring and maintenance simple you may want to shy away from  (but not avoid completely)  the 500 series. 

Your timing is particularly good because the annual Wheelhorse Big Show is coming up in June down in PA. 

We have a thread going about what's for sale or wanted at the show or before. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

adsm08

I think everyone has overlooked the most obvious first step here.

Assess the existing machine. Yes, it needs tires, but throw a little fuel in it, get it hooked up to some power, and see if she'll fire.

I pulled my 855 out of a barn where it sat, WITH FUEL IN IT, for 10 years. Cleaned tank, fresh fuel, new spark plug, new battery, and it started.

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:

Always love to see a second or third generation giving a Wheel Horse some love.. You would be amazed at how well a neglected old Kohler will run with a little simple maintenance.

In my opinion the decision will hinge on your mechanical ability and time available to bring the 308-8 back to life. Having been stored indoors is a BIG plus.

Start by removing the flywheel cover from the engine and cleaning the cooling fins, You would be amazed at the number of insect and rodent nests can be found behind the engine tins. While the cover is off you can rotate the engine by hand to make sure nothing is frozen up.Once you know it will turn over freely you can remove the spark plug, use some jumper cables from your car battery to crank it over and see if you have spark. Presuming you have spark buy a ney Champion H-10 spark plug and take care of some deferred maintenance.

Drain the old engine oil and anything in the fuel tank. Replace the fuel hose and put a fuel filter in place. A couple quarts of fresh oil and and a bit of non-ethanol gas will be a good start toward success. Allow fuel to flow down to the front of the fuel line prior to putting it on the fuel pump, tank is higher than the pump. Now crank it over with the hose off of the carburetor to be sure the fuel pump works. Put the hose on the carb and with any luck it will start. May want to put a little gas in a spray bottle to help it along, don't use starter fluid.

The used tires on rims would be a good buy, be sure the backspacing on the rear rims is the same as your 308, some rims have more backspace and would hit the gas tank.

Hope this helps, let us know how you nare doing.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

2 hours ago, wallfish said:

For the 308-8 -- Spend some time with your son resurrecting his grandfather's machine

'Fish beat me to it. If you even just have the basic tools & a garage no better way to teach your boy some mechanical skills. 

Plenty of help here along the way. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Both!  Get the old one going, and keep an eye out for more!  :banana-wrench:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

You have a heirloom that should never leave the family.      Replace the tires  and go thru EBs check list with your son.  He will use the 308 for 50 years and eventually  give it to your Grandson.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Achto

• Like 1

cmort

Wow, so many great replies.  Thanks everybody. 

I think it makes sense to try to revive the old one first (with my son) as long as I can get tires for a reasonable price.  My mom's place is an hour away so I won't be able to get to it right away.  I will have someone check the back spacing of the original rims.

Here is the set of tires I found listed for 100.  They're a little bit cracked.  What do you guys think?  I couldn't find anything that would cost much under 300 when I first looked online, and at that point a used tractor might make more sense.

Screenshot_20240530_123101_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240530_123053_Chrome.jpg

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, cmort said:

back spacing of the original rims.

Should be around 1 3/8 to 1 1/2 inches backspacing.

5 minutes ago, cmort said:

Here is the set of tires I found listed for 100.  They're a little bit cracked.  What do you guys think?

Not sure if you're trying to stay with that particular size but you can definitely go up one.

A 23 x 8.50 x 12 tire should fit that tractor just fine.

That might open up your shopping range quite a bit.

• Like 1

oliver2-44

To give you even a little more shopping range I run a 23x 9.5 x 12 on a 312-8 which is the same basic tractor 

• Like 2

wallfish
3 hours ago, cmort said:

Here is the set of tires I found listed for 100.  They're a little bit cracked.  What do you guys think?  I couldn't find anything that would cost much under 300 when I first looked online, and at that point a used tractor might make more sense.

You could get brand new tires for a little over $50 each? And as mentioned 23 x 8.5 or 9.5 or 10.5 x 12 will fit on those rims

https://www.walmart.com/search?q=23x8+5+12+tractor+tire

Put tubes in the original tires maybe

Or find them used like this

https://albany.craigslist.org/grd/d/clifton-park-lawn-tractor-rims-and/7750219540.html

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Tractorhead

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to. :rs:

In this Forum you got the most successfully and knowledged answers.

dunno how much time you can and will spent, but in 14 day‘s is the Big Show in PA

an anual meeting for and about Wheelhorses.

Here you can walk arround and thru the years and machines - from patina up to completely restored

where also things and machines will be traded and lot‘s of knowledge is also there.

would be worth a visit imho.

i‘m from the other Side of the Big Pond and got me a Wheelhorse 656 from 1966 with Patina on it.

planing it since several years go to the Big Show and this year i be there. Guess why.

i keep on my Wheelhorse the Patina because i love that look.

this machine has a history that must not being hidden with it‘s 58 springs on it.

Mine is a hard worker and is nearly each Weekend in Service. mowing about 2800 sqm,

dump all the garden gunk in a Forrest about 10 min drive away with my Cart.

never would change my Horse to another Machine.

i have also an Iseki TX1300 ( same as a Bolens) with hydraulic and threepoint hitch and with homemade FEL

but t mostly use the Wheelhorse for daily tasks. 

It must be serviced and it can be serviced.

a well maintenance give them a long live

and they be with just a little maintenance normally stressless workers.

just my 2 :twocents-mytwocents:

• Like 3

cmort

Thanks again for all the good advice. 

I didn't realize the size I was looking for in tires was such an oddball one, and that I could do much better with a different size. 

I'm leaning towards resurrecting the old 308, but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. 

I will try to post when I do get it going. 

I'm probably going to stop checking in on this thread for now, too much phone/Internet use just isn't good for me. 

Thanks all!

• Sad 1