PH707

WH tractor owner general locations

PH707

I posted this on another tractor site as well.  I'm located in the foothills of Northern California and am wondering if there are many of us WH owners way out west.  It seems everyone is from places way east of here.

Paul 

Sparky

:WRS:

Check out the member map (and add yourself). But yes, WH’s are scarce out your way.

• Like 1

WHX??

Not many... dealers started getting scarce west of the Mississippi so what is out there are transplants. Midwest and northern east coast are the :wh: states. 

Easton Rich

:text-welcomewave:

PH707

My B-115 came from a dealer in Lodi, CA in 1980.  They were Bechtold tractor.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

953 nut

We have had a few west coast members chime in but as Jim @WHX?? said there weren't too many dealers for :wh: out west, glad you found yours.

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:!

rjg854

:WRS:   enjoy those gas powered engines while you can out there in California.

• Like 2

87 416-8 horse

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO :rs:

953 nut
7 hours ago, rjg854 said:

:WRS:   enjoy those gas powered engines while you can out there in California.

Randy, isn't your home state of New York outlawing gas powered lawn equipment too.          :(

• Sad 1

Handy Don
46 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Randy, isn't your home state of New York outlawing gas powered lawn equipment too.          :(

I haven’t seen any NY statewide legislation get beyond the “talk about it” stage, but a number of municipalities (mine included) have implemented selective bans on blowers and string trimmers (generally noisy and two-cycle stuff) for certain times. Here June 1 to Sept 30 right now, but I expect that to become a full ban in a couple of years. The lawn care businesses and owners of large areas (25,000 sq ft & up) are pressing hard for exemptions--I can see that a truck full of batteries to get a day’s worth of trimming, edging, and blowing jobs done might be a challenge.

Other nearby towns and cities are doing similar stuff.

• Sad 1

SylvanLakeWH
46 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I haven’t seen any NY statewide legislation get beyond the “talk about it” stage, but a number of municipalities (mine included) have implemented selective bans on blowers and string trimmers (generally noisy and two-cycle stuff) for certain times. Here June 1 to Sept 30 right now, but I expect that to become a full ban in a couple of years. The lawn care businesses and owners of large areas (25,000 sq ft & up) are pressing hard for exemptions--I can see that a truck full of batteries to get a day’s worth of trimming, edging, and blowing jobs done might be a challenge.

Other nearby towns and cities are doing similar stuff.

Sad...

The bureaucrats and politicians driving this do not realize the cost, carbon footprint, and practical limitations of forcing electrification. Billions upon billions of grid upgrades etc. with materials mined and manufactured to make it happen... then there's the Billions of existing ice lawn care machines that will simply go in the landfill... not green.

And I am not anti battery powered lawn care equipment... I am 100% battery with dewalt's 20v line... mower blower weed trimmer pole saw chain saw loping shears and hedge trimmer... works great for me and the 3 small lawns i take care of... but i'm not cutting large acres or 20-25 lawns per day...

:twocents-twocents:

rjg854
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

They're trying to get rid of leaf blowers now and I'm sure the rest will follow. Whatever California does, NY has to do.

• Sad 2

squonk
Posted (edited)

There is a lot to be said for the convenience and safety of cordless equipment. 

A very well respected and well loved member of this forum (who I will not name) got hurt very badly today using A gas hedge trimmer. If it was a cordless, chances are it would have stopped running before there was to much damage.

Edited by squonk
  • Sad 3

Handy Don
Posted (edited)

It is the transition timing I wonder about. Getting design, engineering and manufacturing to bring to market suitable tools. Adapting the grid, as @SylvanLakeWH notes (so far often circumventing or running roughshod over environmental protections en route); sensibly sourcing materials; mitigating the loss of service life of existing equipment after forced transitions; winning hearts and minds--all are very tough problems that cannot be solved by bombast and rhetoric. Yet it is irrefutable that the impact of burning fossil fuels is changing the climate--there is no “keep it like it was” option.

ICE has a lot momentum and has done a lot of good. But there was plenty of disruption and damage done along the way--initially out of desire for progress, then ongoing confidence that the pollution would somehow “cure itself”, but then mainly for profit. False or selective science promoted by oil companies has make us skeptical of any science and political gamesmanship has largely replaced statesmanship thwarting progess in governmental realm. Millions of livelihoods across the world are linked with intricate interactions and a reliance on fossil fuels.

Change hurts--even when it’s needed. My expectation is that I will personally experience more than a little hardship in the remaining years of my life as this transition proceeds.

disclosure: not far from my home is the Kykuit estate built for J.D. Rockefeller an absolutely ruthless entrepreneur whose Standard Oil the U.S. forced into divesture over monopolistic business practices into three separate companies). 

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

PH707

And to think that all I was curious about is where other WH owners live.  I think the topic has changed.  To those who answered the original post, the best was to check out the WH owners map.  Thanks for all your replies.  It's nice to see that people read our posts.

Paul

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

And yes, sometimes we get off topic but our intentions are usually honorable. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

The son of my weekender neighbor runs a landscape lawn business out side Philadelphia.  The grass at the weekend place was way too tall for the old 856 his Dad uses,  So he brought up a battery Zero Turn  it cleaned it up and other than getting stuck by the pond no problem.  He has electrified his whole fleet Zero turns to weed wackers,.  He has solar panels mounted on all his trucks to charge the spare batteries during the day,  and a charger bank at his shop to top off everything at night.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, PH707 said:

And to think that all I was curious about is where other WH owners live.  I think the topic has changed.  To those who answered the original post, the best was to check out the WH owners map.  Thanks for all your replies.  It's nice to see that people read our posts.

Paul

:text-imsorry:        You will find that we do tend to get :text-offtopic:  from time to time,   just like any bunch of people sitting around talking will frequently stray away from the original topic of conversation.

• Like 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, pfrederi said:

The son of my weekender neighbor runs a landscape lawn business out side Philadelphia.  The grass at the weekend place was way too tall for the old 856 his Dad uses,  So he brought up a battery Zero Turn  it cleaned it up and other than getting stuck by the pond no problem.  He has electrified his whole fleet Zero turns to weed wackers,.  He has solar panels mounted on all his trucks to charge the spare batteries during the day,  and a charger bank at his shop to top off everything at night.

Yep, this makes sense. The capital required is not trivial and for existing businesses with depreciable equipment still on their books, the transition can be financially challenging. But even more difficult for many small/midsize company owners it to how to analyze and plan and look beyond the idea of just replacing the worn out Skag or Husqvarna with a new gas machine.

Even as a systems technologist, I’ve been laid off when the business direction changed and I had to retool my skillset to get back into the workforce.

stevasaurus
Posted (edited)

I'm glad @PH707 you came in and said somethiing.  Nice Welcome to Red Square guys.  :eusa-think:   @PH707. these guys know better then this...please know that this is not accetpable behavior on this site.

Welcome to a very good Red Square (usually), and please do not be put off by this.  There are many good people here and tons of helpful information.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus

PH707

Red Square is a great site!  You guys are cool!  The other site I posted on doesn't get anywhere near the engagement by its members.  We may get a little off topic, but at least we talk.  It's nice to be here!

Paul

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ACman
Posted (edited)

:WRS:  @PH707  ! Consider becoming a member as there’s a wealth of information and knowledge on here . There’s usually someone on here that will answer your questions and few threads that get lots of attention . We also love pictures and being a member sure makes that that easy . Add that dealership to our registry as they weren’t many :wh:Horses west of the Mississippi River let alone a Dealership .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1