squonk

Easily Remove rusted parts

squonk

Tried this trick on a K181 with a really stuck Nelson muffler. The muffler almost fell off! :helmet: :banana-wrench:

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

adsm08

I did something like this on the Speedex steering shaft. The shaft was seized in the tube. I had the advantage of a grease fitting. I pumped it full of grease then heated the tube on low heat while tapping the steering hub with a hammer until the shaft dropped in the tube.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Excellent. 

Heat. Quench. 

I've done a light duty version of this using a propane torch and penetrating oil. 

• Like 2

WHX??

I have a pepper pot to get off a nipple. Will have to try it. 

• Like 1

wallfish
39 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Maybe put one on the other nipple instead of taking that one off! :lol:

• Haha 6

OoPEZoO

I have been wanting to try this on the rear sleeve hitch that I pulled off of my RJ58.  The pin that mounts it to the rear of the transmission is seized solid to the hitch.  I originally figured I would have to cut off the whole pin/tube and weld on a new tube, but I would be interested to see if this would potentially break it loose.

• Like 2

kpinnc

While this is clearly effective, you need to have some idea of what you're doing this procedure on. Mild steel will be most tolerant, but...

Quenching any red hot steel with water makes it brittle. High carbon even more so. Cast iron will crack or break altogether. If the steel is tempered, it won't be when you're finished. 

DO NOT USE THIS PROCEDURE ON AXLES OR WHEEL HUBS!!! 

I don't remember if the 36 rear tillers have a hardened center axle or not, but I wouldn't use it for those either. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

IMO --  9 times outta 10 there isn't a need to do the cold water quench anyway. The expansion of the steel from heating to cherry red will typically break the bond. So try that first and maybe quench the stubborn stuff if need be.

I wouldn't do it on cast parts either

• Like 2

kpinnc
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

IMO --  9 times outta 10 there isn't a need to do the cold water quench anyway. The expansion of the steel from heating to cherry red will typically break the bond. So try that first and maybe quench the stubborn stuff if need be.

I wouldn't do it on cast parts either

Agreed, though if the part is hardened it will lose that if allowed to cool slowly. It's a catch 22 if you're dealing with tempered steel. 

Mild steel? Probably ok to just allow slow cooling. 

• Like 1

adsm08
On 5/27/2024 at 7:28 PM, WHX?? said:

I think the wife might object if I try that.

• Haha 3