adsm08

Craftsman Walkbehind Tiller

adsm08

Anyone know anything about the gearboxs in Craftsman walkbehind tillers? My wife has a big 17" one that she likes, but it's acting like the gearbox is stuck, we just don't know what gear it's in.

I have not tried starting it and engaging the belt yet, but the gear box on this thing has always been screwy in the 20+ years she has owned it. It acts to me like a detent is broken inside. The shifter over-travels and you have to bump it so the indicator is one range past where you want to land.

ri702bill

Can you download an exploded view?? IMHO - a good wife & a good tiller that play well together  - both are keepers!!!!

adsm08
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Can you download an exploded view?? IMHO - a good wife & a good tiller that play well together  - both are keepers!!!!

I have not yet. I've been having trouble finding manuals for it because the info tags are largely illegible from age. The thing was stored outside for many years because her parents just didn't take care of a lot of stuff, either through ignorance, or lack of money.

All I'm sure of is it's the 6.5HP Briggs engine, 17 inch wide tines, and green.

This is the same model, but of course this listing doesn't give me the data I need to find the books either.

https://www.midlandbidjunkies.com/lot/52680686/craftsman-heavy-duty-17--rototiller

I'd love to ditch it for one for the Horse, but of course I have the manual transmission on the 855, so I'd need the super-rare one with the 2hp Clinton engine on the unit, and having to deal with another engine defeats the purpose.

Edited by adsm08

ri702bill

OR - the 6 or 8 speed swap, like I did on the 854....

adsm08
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

OR - the 6 or 8 speed swap, like I did on the 854....

I have one of those sitting in my garage waiting for me to have an excuse. It may also have an internal issue because I can't turn the input with it in low range. My understanding of the issue though was that the manual transmissions have no way to power the tiller.

So how does this work?

ri702bill

It is done thru a rear jackshaft tensioner and lift cable- chech with Lowell at WheelHorsePartsandMore...

6wheeler

Depending on what tiller it is. Mine has a pinion gear in the chain drive system inside the chain case. (rear tine tiller). Oddly enough. Almost all of the parts are still obtainable. Except!  That pinion gear. I could not fix mine. The engine found its way onto another project and is still being used now. The tires are being used on the front of my C-160.  The transmission/chain case  is still in my shed. So, If you do decide to split yours? I may just have the parts you need. Except obviously, The little pinion gear.      Pat 

bds1984

My dad has an old Ariens rototiller that suffered from rough shifted and a terrible running Tecumseh.  After upgrading to a Honda clone engine over a decade ago we had a terrible time shifting.  Long story short, my dad changed the oil in the gear case and it has been great ever since.  He never mentioned how much oil had drained out, but I suspect it was running low.  

• Like 1