ebinmaine

DR Chipper. Free to me but needs an engine.

ebinmaine

@Stepney   Spenser was nice enough to bring this up to me a few days ago.

He got it from an older fella that bought it new late 19 or early 20.

After a couple years of light usage the engine lost spark and being from the old school the guy decided that it needed POINTS which in theory were under the flywheel. 

In the process of trying to find parts that are obviously not there, he broke the crankshaft and one of the engine block mounting bosses behind the flywheel.

Spenser and I shot the breeze about some ideas.

Maybe an engine swap?

Maybe bolt it to a pull cart or trailer and run it off a Lovejoy connector and a short shaft through a PTO or engine sitting on a carriage with it.

Below are a couple pictures of the tags I can find on it. Access is limited so the angles aren't the best.

IMG_20240511_143123~2.jpg

IMG_20240511_143123.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don

Chippers like this are interesting designs and easy to manufacture. DR is a quality brand and makes some nice equipment. 

Still, on this unit the chipping/shredding flywheel is directly attached to the keyed engine output shaft. There is no support for a bearing or external drive system via pulley or Lovejoy--you’d have to fabricate a strong support to replace the engine block or, I guess, use a block with a crankshaft only (no rod or piston) and a pulley on the engine crankshaft and then deal with a way to power it separately. 🙃

A new engine (with suitable ball/thrust bearings) is the efficient path forward if the machine is to be put back into service.

• Like 4

ri702bill

No centrifugal clutch like a go cart??? A solid direct drive is not the best setup. ALL the shock load is transferred back to the spinning crank....Look up the load co-efficient factor for a chipper - MUCH higher than a fan or compressor......

• Like 3

Achto

@ebinmaine DR was bought out by Generac. None of the DR products are made in the facility that I work at, but I (may ?) be able to get some technical help for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Achto said:

@ebinmaine DR was bought out by Generac. None of the DR products are made in the facility that I work at, but I (may ?) be able to get some technical help for you.

Most helpful thing at this point would be some manuals. Something that shows how the beast is set up. 

It's either I figure it out and build/repair.. or pass it along to someone who will. 

I have multiple powerplants that could be used but I'm not sure I want to mess with creating a stand for holding the connection to the existing chipper flywheel. 

Achto
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Most helpful thing at this point would be some manuals

Think this is the right one. DR premier 300  https://dam.generac.com/ImConvServlet/imconv/cec75f8a4bc86abc073ef9fe8b8db136e638a717/original

Our DR web site has a good list manuals

https://www.drpower.com/pages/content/customer-support/product-support/chippers

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, Achto said:

technical help

I took a quick look at the parts diagrams last night. I can see what @Handy Don  means about how the flywheel is directly supported by the engine itself.

Kind of looks like a piece of keyed shaft and some pillow blocks at the right position could be used to replace the engine block........ ((??))

Achto
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Kind of looks like a piece of keyed shaft and some pillow blocks at the right position could be used to replace the engine block

Should work if you plan to run it as a belt driven unit.

A Briggs or a Harbor Freight engine would most likely be a direct replacement if you want it to be a stand alone unit.

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Kind of looks like a piece of keyed shaft and some pillow blocks at the right position could be used to replace the engine block........ ((??))

Generally, yes.

Be careful not to underestimate the forces that the chipping blade and hammers will put on the shaft -- the original engine is 8 or 9 hp, right? Both the supports and the bearings should be very stout. I’d build it as a complete “motor block” replacement that bolted to the chassis.

Also, consider the direction of rotation of the unit’s flywheel--clockwise looking from the engine side. So running a direct belt from a WH PTO to the chipper would have the chipper positioned offset to the right instead of directly in front of the tractor (or a figure 8 belt run?). A stabilizer bar to keep them apart would likely be needed.

• Like 1