Racinbob

Eaton 11 Oil Capacity

Racinbob

Over 6 decades of experience with these machines yet this is my first time servicing a hydro transmission. Manuals are easy. Drain completely, 1-1/2 Quarts in 3 and 4 speeds. 2 quarts in 6 and 8 speeds, close it up and go back to work. When I first got this Eaton 11 equipped 314 I checked the fluids and all were on the money. Well, I drained the tranny, making sure the drain was low. Including the filter I only got just under 3 quarts out. It calls for 5 and says to only dump 80% (4 quarts) in the then check and top off. What am I missing here? :eusa-think:

pfrederi

Lots of fluid left in lift cylinder, lines, and charge pump.  What you observed is not unusual...

• Like 2

Racinbob

I wish I could say I thought about that but dang it manuals ain't got all that. :wacko:

Looks to me like dumping 3 quarts in and working my way to the full mark is the hot ticket. :)

Thanks Paul. :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

squonk

Fill it slow. may have to burp it. Keep the filter loose or take out one of the bolts that holds the lift cable tube. 

• Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Fill it slow. may have to burp it. Keep the filter loose or take out one of the bolts that holds the lift cable tube. 

I learned that real quick Mike. The first burp was almost a face full. You almost need one of those hospital IV drip do dads.

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

You almost need one of those hospital IV drip do dads.

A short section (12- 18 inch) of IV line would actually help. Run it down in the funnel when you fill her back up to allow airflow and it would solve your problem. 

If you decide to remove a tranny bolt instead, be sure to clean it thoroughly before. Just one grit of dirt will destroy that hydro. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

I always lay a piece of wire on the filler to vent it. Didn't work this time. Bout got me :blink:

• Sad 1

Ed Kennell

Try the straw in a funnel trick.

• Like 2

Racinbob

I have a one quart gear lube bottle with a pointy spout on it that I dedicate for measuring and adding lube in many situations. This ended up being one of those. Still a bit slow but it worked. :)

• Like 1

adsm08
1 hour ago, Racinbob said:

I have a one quart gear lube bottle with a pointy spout on it that I dedicate for measuring and adding lube in many situations. This ended up being one of those. Still a bit slow but it worked. :)

If you get that pointy-tipped cap from one of the newer wide-mouth quart bottles most of those will fit 1-gallon coolant bottles.

Not really relevant to the topic at hand, but its good to know because coolant bottles can be cleaned out and used for other fluids.

• Like 1