MainelyWheelhorse

Replacement spring size and number for 312-8 clutch gas cylinder

MainelyWheelhorse

Hi All, the gas cylinder that assists my clutch in my 92 is spent. I’ve heard of people replacing the cylinder with a spring. I searched here and didn’t find a direct answer. What size, and number at a hardware store etc… is it? Thanks!

ebinmaine

@Ed Kennell or maybe @953 nut

Might have the answer.  

peter lena

@MainelyWheelhorse  agree on the spring / source , while that set up is down , take the time to lubricate every related lever / linkage point , make the rust  out , actually rare to see a tractor with  everything functioning well. ever put penetrating oil on / in your choke / throttle cables ? just got  thru cutting , everything was smooth / easy . nothing sarcastic / intended . stay after it , pete 

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thanks Ed. I thought that was the one but I haven't done this conversion yet.

So this is basically taking off whatever's on the later models and replacing it with the spring that's on my 70s C Series?

Ed Kennell
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

So this is basically taking off whatever's on the later models and replacing it with the spring that's on my 70s C Series?

Should work.

• Like 1

oldlineman

I might be wrong but  isn't the spring already there and the damper just dampens or softens  the clutch engagement too make it smoother. Bob

• Like 1

MainelyWheelhorse
52 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

I might be wrong but  isn't the spring already there and the damper just dampens or softens  the clutch engagement to make it smoother. Bob

That’s what I’m looking for. The spring equivalent to the gas cylinder damper and what number that is as mine has had it. So, my clutch engagement is pretty rough.

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, MainelyWheelhorse said:

That’s what I’m looking for. The spring equivalent to the gas cylinder damper and what number that is as mine has had it. So, my clutch engagement is pretty rough.

Yepp that's the one above. 

Toro 108035. 

I keep em here in stock.  

Should be able to find them online for $12 to $15. With shipping.  

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:

1867286633_Screenshot(393).png.a8cdb4a5b5edf87ca2ee0a1deece4c8b.png643203296_Screenshot(394).png.061578b03c19d6cf9b3b97cd41021e65.png

• Like 3

Lagersolut
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

18 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Should work.

Yes and It does - converted my 315-8 from gas cylinder to old school spring number of years ago - personally I didn't like the cylinder - the way it engaged the belt or that it bottomed out and belt slipped after a few years of use and stretch on a belt .

No regrets

• Like 1

Rick3478
21 hours ago, oldlineman said:

I might be wrong but  isn't the spring already there and the damper just dampens or softens  the clutch engagement too make it smoother. Bob

No, the thing you are calling "damper" is (was) an air spring, probably nitrogen filled actually, which has leaked out.  The old school steel extension spring goes on the other side of the tractor.  I like to leave the leaked-out air spring in place to provide damping and add the old style spring, to get the best of both worlds.  All of the tractors I've seen already had the holes in the transmission casting and clutch lever, and I just had to pop the spring on.

• Like 1

oldlineman

Well, my 1989 414-8 has the spring and the dampener on it from the factory. The spring on the left side is what provides the pressure to tighten the drive belt. The dampener on the right side provides some restriction to soften the engagement of said belt. The two items provide two separate functions. Bob

Ed Kennell
Posted (edited)

My 310-8  has the spring on the left side and a clutch damper on the right.   Not a gas cylinder, but a spring loaded piston that is compressed at the top of the clutch up travel.

104_2626.JPG.c5fcd63b008d816d73fb148a91a2c549.JPG

This is the way I bought this tractor.   The too long belt allowed the plate to drop below the piston rod and lock up the clutch.

Edited by Ed Kennell

oldlineman

As seen in this diagram for the 1989 414-8, the spring # 48 and dampener #53 are both installed on the transmision linkledge, the tractor will work and drive without the dampener #53 but will not without the spring #48. Bob

414-8 transmision.gif

oldlineman

Ed that dampener pin should be hitting that plate not overtop  of it. Bob 

Ed Kennell
1 minute ago, oldlineman said:

Ed that dampener pin should be hitting that plate not overtop  of it. Bob 

Exactly, this happened because of a too long belt.      The PO sold it for cheap because he said " the engine won't start and the clutch is locked up".

Yep, that  damper locked the clutch in the up position.    The engine won't start because you can't depress the clutch to close the clutch safety switch.

• Like 2

Rick3478
16 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

My 310-8  has the spring on the left side and a clutch damper on the right.   Not a gas cylinder, but a spring loaded piston that is compressed at the top of the clutch up travel.

104_2626.JPG.c5fcd63b008d816d73fb148a91a2c549.JPG

This is the way I bought this tractor.   The too long belt allowed the plate to drop below the piston rod and lock up the clutch.

I hadn't seen one of those before.  Learned something new today. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
42 minutes ago, Rick3478 said:

Learned something new today.

A first for me also.

ebinmaine
On 5/17/2024 at 1:27 PM, MainelyWheelhorse said:

Hi All, the gas cylinder that assists my clutch in my 92 is spent. I’ve heard of people replacing the cylinder with a spring. I searched here and didn’t find a direct answer. What size, and number at a hardware store etc… is it? Thanks!

Were you able to get that tractor fixed up?

MainelyWheelhorse
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Were you able to get that tractor fixed up?

No, Work has been busy, I haven’t messed with it. It looks like a PITA to access. I did repaint the bodywork though. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, MainelyWheelhorse said:

No, Work has been busy, I haven’t messed with it. It looks like a PITA to access. I did repaint the bodywork though. 

Hey! Progress is progress.

They aren't too awful bad to get at. I have a 312-8 project and some older 8-speed tractors that would have used that spring originally. If you need comparison pictures let me know.

MainelyWheelhorse
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Hey! Progress is progress.

They aren't too awful bad to get at. I have a 312-8 project and some older 8-speed tractors that would have used that spring originally. If you need comparison pictures let me know.

Yeah! That’s a good way of looking at it. Ok, good to know. I’ll keep that in mind.Thanks!

• Like 1