cafoose

Got my band saw working

cafoose

A few years back at the Steam-O-Rama show in Windsor, PA  I got this horizontal band saw for $20 at the auction. Since all my time was taken up by moving to Tennessee and not really needing it right away it was on a back burner. I got a 1/2" by 8" by 14" steel plate from a local machine shop to use on my sickle bar to 953 project that I needed to cut for the rear mount. I got a new blade from amazon for $19 and installed it. I also put an automatic shutoff toggle on it that shuts it off when the cut is finished which needs some adjustment.

20240514_132928.jpg

20240516_193400.jpg

20240516_193406.jpg

• Like 5

ri702bill

Getting one of these old girls to track properly can be an adventure. Best done with 2 coffees and the cell phone off...!!

• Like 1

cafoose
4 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Getting one of these old girls to track properly can be an adventure. Best done with 2 coffees and the cell phone off...!!

I didn't fool with any adjustments other than blade tension and it seemed to cut pretty well :banana-wrench:

ri702bill

Buy a lottery ticket!!

Even the blade itself can have a negative effect on tracking. My then new HFT saw would NOT track at all with the supplied blade. Switched to a premium blade - no issue. Switched back to the OE - all problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cafoose
1 hour ago, ri702bill said:

Buy a lottery ticket!!

Even the blade itself can have a negative effect on tracking. My then new HFT saw would NOT track at all with the supplied blade. Switched to a premium blade - no issue. Switched back to the OE - all problems.

I got this blade from amazon and it had good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G429C9K?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

image.png.af20ebe8b3edd274f4d1d28ad04d557e.png

Also found this online:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=5221

image.png.503e36939c4498282583257786d6a1b7.png

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, cafoose said:

I got this horizontal band saw for $20 at the auction

I think I paid $40 or mine.   Mine lead off with the blade that came with it.  Not difficult to understand why when I looked at the blade teeth.  There was no set at all on the side that was against the wheels.    I think the PO had the blade running too deep on the wheels and over time mashed the set off that side.    I bought the same 14-18 tpi bi metal blade and it cuts perfect.   I also made a small table to I can use it as a vertical band saw. I can't believe I used a 4.5" angle grinder to cut steel all these years. 104_2366.JPG.d4e87a6613ead5217f43acdfc50488b9.JPG104_2368.JPG.fee55f4a08a92206412c8748b7e22ba4.JPG

Also added a couple wheels to made it easier to turn to cut long stock.

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

JoeM

Mine is a $12 road side special. Needed a little work but has cut a lot of metal. 

Some things that i have found out. 

Olson blades seem to last forever....are pricey.  I use 18TPI Hardback, no lube. (I like to keep the oil out and away from welds.)

I have tried those cheaper blades and they work ok for the money. 

I use the slowest speed. and as far as tracking,

The cam guide rollers need to be a little on the loose side. I have had to replace the guide bearings just this year. 

And those cheap bed frame angle irons can ruin the best of blades in a hurry, I think they make those from old junk leaf springs??

image.png.34c216da7b83b4f40185f223646c2566.png

• Like 2

cafoose
55 minutes ago, JoeM said:

The cam guide rollers need to be a little on the loose side

I read that in my manual I downloaded. I did see a little smoke while cutting. I think it shows up in the video. Seems to be coming from the rollers closest to the motor. Rollers didn't feel warm though :eusa-think:

JoeM
11 hours ago, cafoose said:

I did see a little smoke while cutting

Might be a little to much down pressure? 

How hot was the blade?

Mine gets pretty warm and is uncomfortable to the touch. 

I have seen some use WD40 for cooling oil, have used it a couple times on thicker material.

cafoose

The blade wasn't even warm. I played with the down pressure adjustment which does work and holds the saw in place if I close the valve completely. I had it moving very slowly. Took several minutes to do the cut. I poured come motor oil into the cut while it was cutting.