Keaton

two more round hoods (rj 59 and 702)

Keaton

i picked up my rj 59 and 702 this morning, nice guy got them loaded right up and he gave me a set of transmission seals and a couple manuals and brochures. i got them home, and hoped the rj ran, he said it did, it started right up. ran gread, took it down the driveway and back and started leaking engine oil through the pan, but besides that was great. it deffinetly needs a tranny rebuild, in one of packrats videos on youtube it says what the problem is, i forget right now but will give updated, the 702 is not bad, i just put it in the shead for now and am going to leave it for a bit untill i get my lawn ranger back togher and 856. i will post updates and the rj tranny case was a early one it was

D-8-59 witch if im right is april 8th 1959, and did anyone know the early rj-58 had a leather shifter boot?

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
2 minutes ago, Keaton said:

and did anyone know the early rj-58 had a leather shifter boot?

Yes’ Thats very collectible if it’s still in one piece.   Others on here might have suggestions on how to preserve it. I’m thinking clean with a soft brush. Maybe some carefully with some saddle soap. Then soak with Needs boot oil. 

• Like 2

Keaton

@oliver2-44 oh, i dont have one but that guy that sold me my rj had a rj 58 with it 

• Like 1

Racinbob

:wwp: @Keaton

What's going on with the transmission? I'm guessing it's not staying in 3rd gear. :)

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-yeahthat::banana-gotpics:

OoPEZoO

Does anyone have a pattern for an original RJ leather shift boot?  I have some contacts locally that I’m pretty sure I could talk into making some reproductions. I imagine they are relatively simple, but I’ve never had my hands on one personally. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

@wallfish don’t you have an RJ with one?

wallfish
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

@wallfish don’t you have an RJ with one?

Made it myself out of an old leather  work boot for the early RJ-58.

• Excellent 1

rjg854
2 hours ago, wallfish said:

Made it myself out of an old leather  work boot for the early RJ-58.

Any chance you can take a picture of it? 

Probably most of us have never seen one.

wallfish
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Any chance you can take a picture of it? 

Probably most of us have never seen one.

I sewed a small loop at the base with a wire in it.

IMG_0640.jpg.6fec5ea78b8998e84da0098c88765b4e.jpg

IMG_0641.jpg.6c95543efea99047a159f0487262a0e6.jpg

Very early RJ-58 with the more crude rear hitch and the round axle hubs. No cast date on the trans

IMG_0642.jpg.558769bae0514c46c2c53b21b149a293.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Keaton

sorry i got some, it runs great besided the transmission, and could. and @Racinbob it goes in 3rd fine. and i also scored a red devil load hog dump cart for $25 before i went and got thoes two, and also i got this shead all cleaned up and got 3 tracors instead of 1 in there and a bunch of other stuff

rj 59 front.jpg

rj_59_back.jpg

rj 59 left side .jpg

rj 59 engine tag.jpg

rj 59 transmission date .jpg

rj 59 (3 wheeled horse) .jpg

the red shed.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Keaton

and how does  the throttle cabel go on a rj 59, i am not shure how it goes, someone got a picture or something??

Racinbob

From what we can see the throttle is correct, at least above the hood. It goes into 3rd but does it stay there when you are driving it? What's it doing to make you think it needs rebuilt?:)

• Like 1

Keaton

it stays in 3rd but if i push it backwards it clicks, look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ7YTcJwmCs&t=40s 

and how does the throttle hookup down to the engine, i have a new cable. does it go on the head bolt or how is it routed 

Keaton

later this summer i will patina restore it, and i figured out how to hookup the throttle. the engine is also a  really nice blue green color, it runs a good low quiet idle.but nothing elese for now

• Like 1

Keaton
Posted (edited)

never mind i need help on how to route this throttle cable. i got pictures of it, i watched packrats video on his 401 but it was not the same on the k91 i got pics of it and i love the color of that block

IMG_3132.jpg

IMG_3133.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3138.jpg

Edited by Keaton
  • Like 1