John c

314H drive belt idler part # trouble

John c

I'm going through this new 314 I just got, clean it up, change fluids, gas lines, tank grommet etc. I ordered a new idler pulley for the drive belt per the part number given in the parts lookup charts (112426) and the one that arrived is bigger than what's on it now.

I looked in all 6 serial number ranges and they all show the same number. 

Have any of you 314H guys ran into this before ?

wallfish

What exactly is the problem besides the size of it? Does it not fit or work properly?

John c

nothing besides the new one is larger diameter, no sure if the larger pulley would cause any issue or not 

John c

Here's what I'm looking at 3.25 vs 3.75

large idler increased belt tension, increased load on the driver and the driven shafts. Enough to cause undue wear on bearings, bushings, seals etc ? 

drive belt idler pulleys.jpg

peter lena

@Johnc, staring right at you , see it ?  notice the wide rubber bearing side shields ?  on the old pulley ?  small flat thin pocket screwdriver , or small flat putty knife , carefully remove those shields , no tearing / ripping , wipe out what left in there , replace with a hi temp chassis grease , after a flush out with carb cleaner , then repack and replace shields , notice / feel  the bearing moving easily / smoothly ?  also get some penetrating lubricant in all related , linkage movement points , make the rust run out , notice how the new pulley has a smaller bearing ?  tight side access ? poor / design set up , basic stuff , easy , pete

John c

I used to do that when I had a honda 4518, idler prices from honda where ridiculous, or I'd drill the spot welds and replace the whole bearing and bolt it back together.

I'd rather replace the whole thing, my record on picking out bearing seals without boogering something up is less perfect, plus the existing bearing feels a little rough.

Despite the rotary number does cross reference to toro 112426, I think they either flubbed the dub, or mis-packaged it, it was still sealed in the rotary package, but it won't fit anyway. I've ordered a stens brand to see what it looks like.  

Anybody else with a mid 90's 314H ran into this before ?  

Repack will be a last resort I guess. I'll see what stens looks like, if not a match I see if I can locate a toro brand, or drill it and replace the bearing. 

won't clear frame.jpg

part number cross.jpg

Fordiesel69

I have had to yes.  But when I bought mine the toro dealer had the exact match.  I agree with the low hours use a pocket screwdriver and peel off the seal, wash out with cleaner then repack with new fresh grease and pop the seal back on.

The new pulley is not correct.

Also I always enguage the drive at a low to mid throttle as I have had the belt jump and shred up.  (usually during the winter when it is stiff)

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, John c said:

large idler increased belt tension, increased load on the driver and the driven shafts. Enough to cause undue wear on bearings, bushings, seals etc ?

Get the right pulley, if you can!

A larger idler by itself won’t change the belt tension by an appreciable degree (adds less than ¼” to the clutch spring travel) nor affect bearings (except it’ll spin slightly slower 😁). Similarly, little to no effect on the belt length. The extra weight might provide some addition damping via inertia. The biggest issue to me would be interferences--what would the larger size bump into? Can the clutch be adjusted for the different throw?

wallfish

John c

I got a stens brand yesterday and it's a match to the original. 

I guess for whatever reason my first line of thought was that there was a change in design or part number supersede or similar, I way overthought it.  

Jeff-C175
Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 7:21 AM, John c said:

I got a stens brand yesterday and it's a match to the original. 

Same issue here John. The one I ordered claiming to be a direct replacement for the 7434 (112426) is too large.  Hits the top of the panel when you try to operate the lever.  The inner surface the belt rides on is also too large, even if the idler didn't hit the panel, it would be too tight and not release. 

What Stens part # did you find that fit?  Was it the 280-081 ?

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175
Posted (edited)
On 4/30/2024 at 10:39 AM, John c said:

Despite the rotary number does cross reference to toro 112426, I think they either flubbed the dub, or mis-packaged it, it was still sealed in the rotary package, but it won't fit anyway.

Maybe they did goof, but their current look up shows that the 723 does NOT cross to the 112426.  Perhaps they fixed it.  They show the 723 crossing to the 112425:

image.png.8428544cc81e0bf4cb0ca90b30262664.png

They now show their part 722 crossing to the 112426, and those dimensions appear correct:

image.png.f6210c2c01f79f3d49fc277ad3ee2f07.png

Also, the Stens 280-081 appears to be the same as the Rotary 722.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
Posted (edited)

Further, it appears that the STENS 280-586 is a heavier duty than the 280-081, but both will work.

The 586 has a much beefier bearing and appears to be heavier metal.

It is a bit more costly though, but I think worth the difference.

Edited by Jeff-C175

John c

Was it the 280-081 ?

Yes sir that's the one I wound up using, perfect fit and function

• Like 1