Richard Wahlstrand

Fluke 101 digital multimeter - a good value

Richard Wahlstrand

After going through about three multimeters in recent years, I decided to invest in a Fluke model 101. I read good reviews about it.

It measures voltage and resistance/continuity , but no current/amperage.

I use mine primarily to check voltage and continuity on my garden tractors and household alkaline battery condition.

The device does not have a hook, so sometimes I need a third hand.

It does not have a lit display screen.

If one needs those features, there are other Fluke multimeters that cost hundreds of dollars more.

The 101 is compact and has a quality feel to it. It meets my needs.

It is available on-line for under $50.

Several years ago, I decided that when I buy a durable good like a hand tool, I will spend more for a good quality item that should last the rest of my life.

Fluke instruments have good reputations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
Just now, Richard Wahlstrand said:

Several years ago, I decided that when I buy a durable good like a hand tool, I will spend more for a good quality item that should last the rest of my life.

Exact same here. 

I've been buying more "vintage/antique" tools and repaired or repainted a few. 

We have a Craftsmen multimeter I've had so long I don't remember not having it. 

Sparky

Fluke fan here as well. I’ve had this one for around 20 years. When I was an electrician in the field it was used daily, now its semi-retired in my garage tool box.

IMG_8617.jpeg

• Like 1

JoeM
12 minutes ago, Richard Wahlstrand said:

Fluke instruments have good reputations

:text-yeahthat:

Carried one for over 30 years, I still have it works great.

• Like 1

squonk

I have about 6 brands of meters. I'm a tool junkie!  (Sorry @WHX?? no UEI self electrocuting models dragged out of the trash) :) Sometimes a Fluke was too sensitive. I carry a Fieldpiece HS36 at work. I got called to a school with a Sanyo mini split AC not working in an IT room. Nothing made sense so I got on the phone with a Factory guy. He wanted me to test the signal from the indoor sensor right at the sensor. The school lead mechanic was with me (I called him Pete The Hammer) :helmet: and he hands me his Fluke. I measured the sensor resistance with it and it showed it was within spec. The factory guy was sure I was going to find the sensor bad. I then tried the Fieldpiece and it showed out of range. I ordered the sensor and the issue was fixed. 

I just got this Zotec meter to play around with now. Testing speed drives at work now will be more interesting

merseyradar on X: "Just received my latest order from #Kunkune, 50mhz , New  range of Zoyi/Zotec. Dual trace scope/25000 count meter for £99 GBP. They  have the single channel for £60 GBP .

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Yep just keep reminding me why I retired...B)

• Haha 2

squonk
26 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yep just keep reminding me why I retired...B)

Yup. Some times I wonder why I went back 2 days a week. But when the check comes then I remember why. :lol:

Had to "horse" a 50HP motor into an air handler this past Wednesday. Loads of fun! 

Chaz54
3 hours ago, Richard Wahlstrand said:

The device does not have a hook, so sometimes I need a third hand.

Richard,

Get a “roach clip” and crimp it down so that it will fit snugly on the tip of the lead. Then you can just clip that lead to what you’re measuring.

kpinnc

My little Fluke 107 gets used a bunch. The magnetic strap is very helpful. Back when I was a field tech, we had  Flukes. They never let me down. 

Also got a cheepo Harbor Fright model with an Amp clamp. Comes in handy sometimes. 

But I still love large face analog meters. I guess the Neanderthal in me gets a "kick" out of seeing the needle move... Had a Simpson at work, but this knock off is good enough. 

IMG_20240413_105109969.jpg

IMG_20240413_104936666.jpg

IMG_20240413_105144092.jpg

• Like 1

squonk

My Zotec Zoyi can give readings with the digital and analog at the same time

EEVblog 1540 - The $80 Zotek ZT-702S Osciloscope Multimeter REVIEW

• Like 1

Handy Don

I learned on Simpsons and Techtronix (sp) oscilloscopes in electronics labs in college and with my high-tech cousins. But, like @ebinmaine, my trusty Craftsman has been in my “go” bag longer than I remember. My handy spouse made me a nice carry sack to hold the meter and the test leads and clips, etc. a few years back.

JoeM

That old Triplet is awesome. Used those for troubleshooting trailing cables when looking for moisture. Digital ones were to sensitive. 

image.png.96b714a8d2cfd8f8595812f99521ecb4.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick3478
3 hours ago, JoeM said:

That old Triplet is awesome. Used those for troubleshooting trailing cables when looking for moisture. Digital ones were to sensitive.

I have a couple Triplett 60's that I use pretty regularly, and some other randoms.  My first was a Micronta (remember Radio Shack?) that has retired to a place of honor in my showcase.  The lower ohms/volt of analogs is much more immune to noise and such, and don't need a battery unless you go for a resistance measurement.  I do have a good full-blown digital somewhere (I think) that is rarely needed.  Just not much call for four digit accuracy around here.

JoeM
1 hour ago, Rick3478 said:

Triplett 60's that I use pretty regularly,

666 was model we used. 

my digital was a fluke 12

Any real high tech stuff we called in the what we called communications persons. they had the scopes and high tech instruments. The two meters I listed covered 98 percent of the jobs.

Handy Don
13 hours ago, Rick3478 said:

Just not much call for four digit accuracy around here.

I remember when I first encountered a digital VOM. Being a nerd, I carefully read the instruction manual and learned how to alter the range precision from zero to multiple decimal places. Very handy to move the decimal point to where it’s relevant and not distracting!