ClassicTractorProfessor

1946 Allis Chalmers WC

Pullstart

Nice to hear from you Bryce, awesome tractor!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Nice to hear from you Bryce, awesome tractor!

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

squonk
Posted (edited)

Mag ignition. Points prolly got some Caa-Caa on them. :banana-wrench:

My dad had a 39 B that would start if you just looked at it. We tested the mag and it threw a spark almost a foot long. One day it failed to start. Governor gear decoded to "retire" :(

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

pfrederi

Good luck on the tires....

Having new sneakers on the M.  Had to have the tire Dr. make a house call...pump the beet juice out of the old ones and back into the new.  Found that one rim was in bad shape so a new one of those is coming,  Tubes tires and rim +/- $1800 plus house call and labor.....

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

• Like 8

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Tubes tires and rim +/- $1800 plus house call and labor.....

Those big fellas are pricey!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
19 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Good luck on the tires....

Having new sneakers on the M.  Had to have the tire Dr. make a house call...pump the beet juice out of the old ones and back into the new.  Found that one rim was in bad shape so a new one of those is coming,  Tubes tires and rim +/- $1800 plus house call and labor.....

13.6-38s? Yes those are pricey, I priced a pair of 14.9-38s for my M a couple years ago, tires and tubes were right around 1300 and that was my cost through the tire shop I work at. I found a guy in the Tulsa OK area that has brand new 12.4-28s for the Allis for $325 each, not sure how he’s able to get them that cheap but worth the 4 hr road trip to pick up a pair.

Messed with the old tractor some more yesterday, discovered a broken impulse spring, swapped mags for another I had on the shelf and we have spark again, didn’t have any gas at the farm so didn’t get to make her run, maybe tonight after work

• Like 4

peter lena

@ClassicTractorProfessor in addition your other   areas , a mineral oil , spray down on that would quickly  , save patina . just get paint wet  and lit soak , the longer the better , then an oiled clean cloth for a easy rub down . the oiled patina look would be perfect , in its state , and you would hold any paint stage in place . that can be working for you , while you are on the mechanical areas , pete 

John2189
Posted (edited)

So why is the duct tape on the oil filter?  Insulation for the spark plug wire?

nice looking tractor 

Edited by John2189
  • Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
32 minutes ago, John2189 said:

So why is the duct tape on the oil filter?  Insulation for the spark plug wire?

nice looking tractor 

Previous owner attempt at fixing an oil leak :eusa-doh:that of course didn’t work, remedied that problem yesterday with a brand new Napa Gold oil filter and 6 quarts of fresh Rotella 15W40

Did get the tractor to run last night for a short time, running it off an IV tank I rigged up, don’t think I was getting enough fuel flow as it would run for a few seconds and die, then start back up and repeat. But we did hear it run so we can keep moving forward, otherwise we would’ve had a $500 yard ornament and photo prop :lol:

Hearing it fire was the good news, but with every bit of good news around my shop has to come some bad, and the bad reared its ugly head tonight while pulling off the gas tank, it was rusted so bad that with the slightest pressure on a wrench to unhook the fuel line from the sediment bowl and the bowl ripped right out of the bottom of the tank, so now we are on the hunt for a replacement tank. I’ve found several unstyled WC tanks but none for the styled models. Tanks for the WD are plentiful as well, does anyone know if a WD tank will fit a styled WC? Maybe @Pullstart or @ACman can shed some light on this for me

Was really hoping to be able to salvage this tank because of the very unique gauge panel built in to it, not sure the story on that, I’ve yet to find any model of tractor with anything like it, but it looks way to clean of an install to be an old farmer add on so I don’t know

IMG_0295.jpeg

IMG_0294.jpeg

IMG_0302.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

Was really hoping to be able to salvage this tank because of the very unique gauge panel built in

Once something is broken out like that you're at a 0% chance of screwing it up any more than it already is. 

If you or someone you know has a fair set of metal working skills or wants to experiment,  that tank can be rebuilt. 

Maybe combine the good bottom of another with the top of this one?

ClassicTractorProfessor
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Once something is broken out like that you're at a 0% chance of screwing it up any more than it already is. 

If you or someone you know has a fair set of metal working skills or wants to experiment,  that tank can be rebuilt. 

Maybe combine the good bottom of another with the top of this one?

That thought crossed my mind, I’m a pretty good welder but never have done much sheet metal work, I’m on the lookout for another tank now to get it running, but plan on putting this one on the shelf and maybe repair it one of these days

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

That thought crossed my mind, I’m a pretty good welder but never have done much sheet metal work, I’m on the lookout for another tank now to get it running, but plan on putting this one on the shelf and maybe repair it one of these days

I can see why you would want to try to use that tank being unique like it is.

I think it would be a worthwhile experiment to do a stitch weld at the seam in several stages. Pressure tested of course but even if you can't get it perfect you might be able to get a liner in there.

Handy Don
7 hours ago, ClassicTractorProfessor said:

That tank is just plain cool, whoever first made it.

I’m adding my vote that you attempt to repair it. You might want to consider brazing it instead of welding.

ClassicTractorProfessor

Finally got the replacement tank delivered to the shop today, gonna clean and seal it before installing on to the tractor, but we are one step closer to bringing this one back to life

IMG_0489.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

ClassicTractorProfessor
Posted (edited)

Been a while since I’ve messed with the old WC, been focusing all my attention on the Cub LoBoy and the old Allis got shoved in the back of the shop. But now we’re at a standstill on the Cub looking for parts so figured why not pull the old WC up and get it running. Hope to have some decent weather before long that’s not too hot where we can seal the fuel tank, but we have a runner

Edited by ClassicTractorProfessor
  • Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

Finally had some cooler weather (80s is cool for us this time of year) so took advantage of it and sealed the fuel tank for the WC. I usually use RedKote to seal tanks but decided to try something different this time around, ended up going with a KBS Coatings fuel tank sealer kit purchased from Eastwood. Still in the curing stage for a couple more days but should be able to paint and install the tank on the tractor by this weekend

Here is part one of that process where we clean and etch the tank in preparation for the sealer

• Like 2

ClassicTractorProfessor

Sad news for the old WC, I tried to push it back out of the way a few nights ago and it wouldn’t move. First though was a stuck brake, but it turned out much worse than that. It’s been put out to pasture for now until we can find the needed parts to repair or a donor tractor. 

• Sad 4