ML3

Rust/patina preservation

ML3

Looking for advice/ideas to preserve/treat the rust on my Suburban. I get so many different opinions. I'm leaning towards clear coating it. The rust is pretty bad & it appears like there's probably not any paint left under the rust. I know people use WD40 or other products similar however, I don't want tractor to be oily to touch. Most the surfaces are so pitted that it won't be easy to even wipe with a rag. 

1st pic is what it looks like dry. The 2nd pic was from when I brought it home so surfaces were wet from rain

IMG_20230528_094931811_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230428_141301349_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

peter lena

@ML3  regularly preserve / bring back faded paint with penetrating lubricant , none of my paint is oily , the lighter penetrant will feed the base area , let that sit some time , to semi dry , then wipe off with a clean dry cloth . your wet look is what you will have . depending on condition is the base line . brought back lots of neglected paint to a deep paint shine finish . think I would keep it in the older vintage look , more fitting for the age . key is the state of used to be paint ,  good luck with your choice , Pete

• Like 2

Pullstart

I was amazed at the difference a wet sand can do.  600 grit paper, soapy water, and smooth straight strokes the length of the work piece.  You think it’s rust, but somehow it has paint underneath!  

Finish that off with a buff job and you’ll have a sweet pearl!  

• Like 2

ML3
4 hours ago, Pullstart said:

I was amazed at the difference a wet sand can do.  600 grit paper, soapy water, and smooth straight strokes the length of the work piece.  You think it’s rust, but somehow it has paint underneath!  

Finish that off with a buff job and you’ll have a sweet pearl!  

I think mine is too far gone. I've done plenty of detailing, bodywork, wet sanding. The surfaces are pretty porous & rough. I may still try. Maybe I'll get lucky?? This tractor definitely had a hard life. Hood has some bondo that I need remove. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, ML3 said:

I think mine is too far gone. I've done plenty of detailing, bodywork, wet sanding. The surfaces are pretty porous & rough. I may still try. Maybe I'll get lucky?? This tractor definitely had a hard life. Hood has some bondo that I need remove. 

Mine was pretty bad too.  Came out with me in shock

• Like 2

953 nut
22 hours ago, ML3 said:

I'm leaning towards clear coating it.

:no:            That would give you shiney rust and rust doesn't shine!          :angry-nono:        I have used 000 Steel Wool and WD-40 to smooth out the rust particles and let the paint show through. I prefer steel wool going in random directions because it conforms to the curves and gets down into the depressions without leaving telltale "Railroad Tracks" that sandpaper going in one direction would leave. 

• Like 1