CJTractorKid

I'm a kid with questions

Achto

:WRS:

Plenty of people on this sight that are more than willing to give you information to help you get your tractor running. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

That’s quite the muffler you have there.  It looks like a spark arrestor.  Any info from the previous owner about it’s past life?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

My son was gifted a C 105 when he was 15 to help / use with his lawn and snow business... Really made him productive and helped him make good money. He went on to college and is now an engineer. I got to keep the tractor and still use it to this day!

Here he is making money...!

You won't regret getting it going!!!

IMG_0383.jpeg

IMG_0426.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

rmaynard

Being the current owner of a 1977 B-100, and having owned a 1976 B-100 like yours, I can tell you that they are the best looking tractor of Wheel Horse's entire fleet (I am biased though). If after you put a battery in it, air up the tires, and see how it runs, I would value the B-100 alone at around $500.00. I sold one two years ago for $400.00 with a snow plow, a dead battery, and a lot of rust. Yours with a snow plow, mowing deck, cast iron wheel weights, and what looks like good paint is worth every bit of $950.00 to $1100.00 to the right buyer.

BUT...and this is a big but, I would not sell it just to be able to buy a 4-wheeler. I have two grandsons who have gone through two mini bikes, two four-wheelers, and currently two go-carts. But their Wheel Horse tractor will still be around working long after the "toys" are gone.

• Excellent 8

The Freightliner Guy

hey there! im kollin im 14. id say keep that guy as it has a deck and a plow! you can use it all year long! thatd be a good rig to use to make money. the plow is in great shape and i dont see why youd want to part out something so clean. does it turn over? that where you want to start then you need to check for spark and fuel. you may have to clean the carb thats easy.  if you use this tractor all year long for jobs im sure you can save up for a dirtbike. i like three wheelers more but dirtbikes are still great. this guy would be a good money maker and a good learning project on how things work and how to fix them. 

Edited by The Freightliner Guy
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 6

Jon Paulsen

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 2

daveoman1966

You will soon find out that this little Wheelhorse will be the bestest gift.... These tractors are very easy to work on, giving you lotsa good hands-on experience in fixing things.  Few kids today take interest in such things...and I congratulate you.  Secondly, you've found the bestest website for help and direction on bringing this little guy back to life.   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

c-series don
3 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

hey there! im kollin im 14. id say keep that guy as it has a deck and a plow! you can use it all year long! thatd be a good rig to use to make money. the plow is in great shape and i dont see why youd want to part out something so clean. does it turn over? that where you want to start then you need to check for spark and fuel. you may have to clean the carb thats easy.  if you use this tractor all year long for jobs im sure you can save up for a dirtbike. i like three wheelers more but dirtbikes are still great. this guy would be a good money maker and a good learning project on how things work and how to fix them. 

I must say Kollin for a 14 year old kid that was well said! 
 I started mowing and plowing with my own Wheel Horse when I was 14 and saved enough money to buy a pickup truck with a plow just before I turned 16. Nothing fancy but it did the job. 

@CJTractorKid That B-100 is a great year round tractor, like everyone else has said, you should keep it. On this forum there are some of the nicest people you could meet online. Everyone is friendly and will help you with whatever you need. With just basic tools we can help you get your tractor running and get you on your way to your lawn business as you get a little older. I started my lawn business with my dad’s Wheel Horse when I was 12. He didn’t want me to wear his out so he made me get my own! I’ll also say that the first time you plow snow with it you’ll want to plow the entire neighborhood! There was/is a community basketball court in the neighborhood where I grew up. I used to go plow it just for fun even though I knew nobody was playing basketball in the winter! Good luck with it, please keep it, I promise it will make you happy!! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, CJTractorKid said:

Unfortunately, my parents don't know much about them, and aren't overly good at fixing things. I am trying to decide if I should try to fix this one up

:WRS:

If your parents are interested in gaining a bit of mechanical and electrical knowledge and want to get involved with you we can make this happen. This could be a great family bonding opportunity and we will be happy to furnish information and tips. The tools needed to work on a Wheel Horse are common wrenches and will not be a big expense.

We are always glad to have new members and will walk along side you as your Wheel Horse adventure takes shape. None of us were born knowing anything, we all have learned from others and are glad to help you.       :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

The Freightliner Guy
42 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I must say Kollin for a 14 year old kid that was well said! 
 I started mowing and plowing with my own Wheel Horse when I was 14 and saved enough money to buy a pickup truck with a plow just before I turned 16. Nothing fancy but it did the job. 

@CJTractorKid That B-100 is a great year round tractor, like everyone else has said, you should keep it. On this forum there are some of the nicest people you could meet online. Everyone is friendly and will help you with whatever you need. With just basic tools we can help you get your tractor running and get you on your way to your lawn business as you get a little older. I started my lawn business with my dad’s Wheel Horse when I was 12. He didn’t want me to wear his out so he made me get my own! I’ll also say that the first time you plow snow with it you’ll want to plow the entire neighborhood! There was/is a community basketball court in the neighborhood where I grew up. I used to go plow it just for fun even though I knew nobody was playing basketball in the winter! Good luck with it, please keep it, I promise it will make you happy!! 

in the winter as a job i go plow driveways with my four wheeler. we got a scrambler 500 with a plow should do great once i fix the carb. reese probably wont plow again in his life

• Like 2

OoPEZoO

Keep it....learn how to work on it and maintain it.  There is plenty of info out there and friendly people here to walk you through issues if you are willing to get learn.  Not only will you have an excellent piece of equipment that will serve you as long as you want it to, but learning how to work on it will teach you lessons that will last your entire life.  I got my 314-8 when I was in my mid 20's......I just needed something to mow my grass, and it fell in my lap for $300.  I had no idea what it was capable of at the time.  I'm now 44 and use it for all sorts of things.....mowing, plowing, winching, wood chipping, etc.  I wouldn't sell it for 3x times what I paid for it.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

RED-Z06
5 hours ago, Pullstart said:

That’s quite the muffler you have there.  It looks like a spark arrestor.  Any info from the previous owner about it’s past life?

Might be a 12v horn?

• Like 2

RED-Z06

These are simple enough to maintain and do most repairs with a fairly basic tool kit.  My C100 sat 15+ years and was running with just fresh fuel and a fresh battery.  Yours could need the points filed, or a carburetor cleaning..but its an excellent basis to operate a plowing business with. If you've got the arm to lift the blade 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Hello @CJTractorKid,

Nice to have you aboard.

I would advise seeking help from a grown up for their guidance, experience, and safety reasons.

What you have there is not a toy, although it can and will provide loads of fun.

Start with the basics. Fresh fuel, do you have spark ? If you get it running, notice how it runs-does it idle smooth, and take the gas when you push up on the throttle ?

Just keep coming to us for help. You will learn a lot and in no time you will be plowing and mowing.

I’ll be following along…

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :rs: !!!

• Like 4

Retired Wrencher

:WRS: CJT like said above keep it for for now get running well just enjoy it and make a little $$ with it that way you save up for a dirt bike. Or keep it and ride it on nice days. Enjoy the ride. 

• Like 3

Lee1977

It's worth what it will cost to make repairs and keep and use. 

• Like 1

rjg854

:WRS:  There's not much more I can add to what the others have posted.  Read some of the other threads and you'll find that others have had similar problems.  There's no questions that can be asked that won't have an answer, except questions not asked. There's lots of experience here, don't be afraid to seek it.  ;)

• Like 1

CJTractorKid

thank you! do you have a idea of what battery i would need?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Freightliner Guy
7 minutes ago, CJTractorKid said:

thank you! do you have a idea of what battery i would need?

Walmart has the exact battery its the standard lawnmower battery its about 46 bucks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ed Kennell

EverStart Lawn and Garden Lead Acid Battery, Group Size U1P 12 Volt, 275 CCA - Walmart.com

This is what I use.       Be aware the battery post go to the front of the tractor and the positive(red) and negative (black) post can be found on either side.  Buy the post arrangement that best fits your cable location.    From your picture, It appears the red cable is on the right side.

Correction on the post location.    The post on my 3,4,and 500 series go to the front.   It may not matter on a B-100.    

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3

CJTractorKid

thank you:):)

• Like 4

ML3

CJ......

Great to see your interest. I was around your age (many years ago🙄) when I started messing with old tractors, mowers, or anything with an engine. I would garbage pick discarded equipment & work until I got it running. Back then I didn't have internet resources like there is today so you have all the advantages. 

Like others said in posts- we are all here to help you. I still often seek help on this forum for my 7 Wheel Horses. 

Good luck & keep us posted. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1