matt monte

restored deck for my B80

matt monte

Figured id share some pics of the deck to my B80 that i freshened up last week. I finally perfected a media blaster i sorta made and was dying to test it out. Stripped deck and blasted it with fine coal slag from TSC. Shot deck in some summit epoxy then mixed up some red. Bought a gallon of that majic oil base enamel. Ehh paint is hit&miss. shot a hood over the summer came out lousy, lotta orange peel, however the deck came out decent. By no means show quality more of a "driver condition". Any car guys will understand.  I did that rustoleum rusty metal primer on backside because well for obvious reasons. Again wouldnt  enter it in a show but considering this tractor was saved from going to the scrapper, not to bad. I scored a second B80 that i stripped down and was gonna start resto for my winter project however Today i scored a C100 on MP for $50 complete. Has not ran in years however deck is rust free. My question is this. Does it pay to strip this one down and do this one since it apparently has a larger wheelbase. does it pay to now spend a week or so stripping this one?????it appears beefier with a better trans and a headlight? Torn on what to do, ill let the forum decide!

20231014_174100.jpg

20231110_185436.jpg

20231028_174150.jpg

20231110_193553.jpg

20231110_194400.jpg

20231110_194426.jpg

20231112_164919[1].jpg

• Excellent 4

Moparfanforever

Looks really sharp!!

That deck has the older style attach mounts on it, won't work on your B80 with the new style attach a matic. 

Did you do other parts swapping to make it work?? 

matt monte

So i only learned this recently. That was the deck that was on B80 when i got it so in some other lifetime PO put the older style mounting system i suppose. I wish i would of know this BEFORE i did deck over because everything i own is attach a matic. 308,312 and this c100. Oh man....just thought of something. I pulled this deck from this mule i plan on leaving alone, just mounted snowblade on it and was gonna use it as a backup. So........the B80 that i have blown out in a million pieces that i was gonna build is probably set up for attach o matic? Hahaha 

matt monte

that deck up until 2 weeks ago was on my tenderfoot b80. Which is just a backup mower. Daily one is 312-8 with a larger 42 deck. Since im done mowing tomorrow i was gonna install the snowthrower attachment on while the weather is still mild

20231112_162135[1].jpg

• Like 2

oliver2-44

You should be able to take the attachamatic deck hardware off the new deck and bolt it on the deck you restored. I’ve read bolt right up, no hole drilling required. 

If I might recommend you ditch the Majic Oil Paint. It has a history of fading along with the poor finish problems you had.  Use some Rustoleum with hardener or almost any other brand of oil base paint. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, matt monte said:

My question is this. Does it pay to strip this one down and do this one since it apparently has a larger wheelbase. does it pay to now spend a week or so stripping this one?????it appears beefier with a better trans and a headlight?

There's more than one train of thought here. 

1. A B80 of 1974-1977 no matter the wheelbase is an excellent worker. 

The 74, 75 models were a bit shorter than the 76, 77 ones. 

The 8 speed/8 pinion in the 76, 77 models is certainly known to be a fantastic transmission.

The 4 speed 4 pinion transmission in the early years is by no means "weak". 

Likely you'd never know the difference between the 4 speed and an 8 speed/8 pinion unless doing some serious ground engaging work or legitimately used the Low range often.  

I personally like Low for backing in right spaces because IMHO R/High is too fast. 

The Headlights are optional on B series.  

The differences in 76, 77 were that and the seats. Maybe tires?

TBH I don't think being a B Series or a C Series should be the deciding factor.   

• Like 1

matt monte

Agreed. i already have a B80 blown out in 100 pieces in my WH shed.  Ill get going on that. I built that 308 last year. Spent this year wrkg on my C10 pick up but usually do the tractors in the fall/winter. Ill ditch that ghetto majic paint as well. Can anyone recommend a single stage for red? I have had pretty decent success with summit racings "brand" of automotive primers/paints. Reasonably priced for the do it yourself hobbyist. Although that majic stuff wasnt exactly cheap. with activator 75-80 bucks for the gallon. I will say this, i called there customer service, wanted to know spray tip size,air  pressure etc. I got a callback from there tech support who was quite knowledgeable. to bad the product is sub par

20220926_180413.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, matt monte said:

Can anyone recommend a single stage for red?

We use only spray cans here so I'm not the reference point. 

I'm thinking I've read a few folks use the Rust-Oleum in a quart and add hardener?

@Achto ?

• Like 1

Lee1977
17 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We use only spray cans here so I'm not the reference point. 

I'm thinking I've read a few folks use the Rust-Oleum in a quart and add hardener?

@Achto ?

I used Rust-Oleum tractor paint IH red with Acetone thinner and Hardner, painted great. Don't take it 6 months to dry.

I used 4 parts paint 2 parts thinner and 2 parts Hardner. 

SAM-1664-2.jpg

Edited by Lee1977

matt monte

love the wheels. yeah paint came out nice. thank you for both paint recommendations.ill keep thread posted!