KVustrud

42” WH Mower Deck

biged77

Is this a “sprung” deck??? 

Yes.  The 42SD seems susceptible to this.  A quick fix is to put washers under the offending spindle to level it with the others just to see if the cut will be acceptable. I like your idea of a stiffening plate but I would keep it at 1/8" max. 

I have a 42SD and 42RD.  The 42RD has had multiple fine cracks radiating out from the spindle holes which required weld repair along with other issues.  Both decks have problems but I have been able to resolve them over time.  My favorite is the 42RD which does not have the recycler insert but still does a decent job of mulching.  I just used it to mulch leaves and it did a great job.  I have a zoysia front yard which I mow on the 4th highest level and it does well, just a fine line of clippings left on the right side which I go over on the next pass. I also have many trees and the RD helps with that too.  I'm not sure how it would do cutting so low on bermuda.

I also have a 48SD which is a backup.  I haven't used it much, but it looks to be much sturdier with the 1/8" plate on top.

If you buy another deck make sure it has the round rod welded to the front.  My 42SD and 48SD do not and I plan to add these.

If you are like most of us you will be buying at least a couple more wheelhorses and decks, if for nothing else than backups and/or for parts.  Oh and you may want one for a show model.

I'm in Chattanooga, glad to have another WH guy fairly close.

• Like 2

KVustrud
58 minutes ago, biged77 said:

Is this a “sprung” deck??? 

Yes.  The 42SD seems susceptible to this.  A quick fix is to put washers under the offending spindle to level it with the others just to see if the cut will be acceptable. I like your idea of a stiffening plate but I would keep it at 1/8" max. 

I have a 42SD and 42RD.  The 42RD has had multiple fine cracks radiating out from the spindle holes which required weld repair along with other issues.  Both decks have problems but I have been able to resolve them over time.  My favorite is the 42RD which does not have the recycler insert but still does a decent job of mulching.  I just used it to mulch leaves and it did a great job.  I have a zoysia front yard which I mow on the 4th highest level and it does well, just a fine line of clippings left on the right side which I go over on the next pass. I also have many trees and the RD helps with that too.  I'm not sure how it would do cutting so low on bermuda.

I also have a 48SD which is a backup.  I haven't used it much, but it looks to be much sturdier with the 1/8" plate on top.

If you buy another deck make sure it has the round rod welded to the front.  My 42SD and 48SD do not and I plan to add these.

If you are like most of us you will be buying at least a couple more wheelhorses and decks, if for nothing else than backups and/or for parts.  Oh and you may want one for a show model.

I'm in Chattanooga, glad to have another WH guy fairly close.

Thanks for the reply!  Unfortunately a washer would just make it worse as the spindle is "tilted" so to speak.  So one side of the offending blade cuts higher than the others and the other side of that same blade cuts much lower than the others.  Lowest side is right on the very outside edge on chute-side of the deck so a washer would just push that lower side even lower.  I'm annoyed, lol.  

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

great discussion on this thread -- i have used 36 rd, 37 sd, 42 rd,  and 42 sd --- the 37 SD i have used since 1989 on my 312-8  -- terrific mower deck ( 2 blades only ) - especially with the bagger -- but it can't be used on bigger tractors because the angle of the deck the one side hits the front wheel when turning ------- However, although i like the cut of the 42 rd, you may want to consider the 36 RD -- which i think has terrific cut -- would be interested to hear opinions of other users of the 36 RD --- For the bermuda grass purposes the 36 rd may be the answer because its durable - subject to less stress, and likely because its smaller doesnt have the same flex issues as the bigger decks -- finding a 36 rd and using it may be best solution for your small bermuda area??????????? photos of 36 rd and 37 sd attached

wh 36 inch r.d. mower top.jpg

wh 36 inch r.d. mower bottom.jpg

wh C165 Running RMS.jpg

wh 37 inch top.jpg

37 in Side discharge #2.jpg

wh 37 deck rehab bottom.jpg

• Like 1

Handy Don
18 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

the 37 SD i have used since 1989 on my 312-8  -- terrific mower deck ( 2 blades only ) - especially with the bagger -- but it can't be used on bigger tractors because the angle of the deck the one side hits the front wheel when turning

What size are the front wheels on your 312?

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

What size are the front wheels on your 312?

yes...my 1989 model 312 has 6 inch front wheels which allow the clearance to use the 37 inch mower which is angled..... however the "larger" WH models with 8 inch front wheels/tires dont have the clearance -- his photo shows a 312 but its a Toro version from the 90s and i am not sure what size tires the Toro model has for front wheels - he could check the front tire size and if 6 inch then likely use a 37 sd mower

• Like 1

kpinnc

The 37 was really the only high lift deck that was ever on a classic wheel horse. They have arguably the best cut. A bit narrow, but they work well. The longer blades mean higher tip speeds, so there's less clumping and they work well with baggers.

A 520 with a swept axle is the only tractor with 8-inch front wheels that work well with it, though the wide track of the tractor makes cutting close to obstacles difficult. 

I used one with 8-inch wheels occasionally, but left turns would allow the wheels to rub the front of the deck. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brockport Bill
51 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

The 37 was really the only high lift deck that was ever on a classic wheel horse. They have arguably the best cut. A bit narrow, but they work well. The longer blades mean higher tip speeds, so there's less clumping and they work well with baggers.

A 520 with a swept axle is the only tractor with 8-inch front wheels that work well with it, though the wide track of the tractor makes cutting close to obstacles difficult. 

I used one with 8-inch wheels occasionally, but left turns would allow the wheels to rub the front of the deck. 

for years after i bought the 312 in 1989 I thought the 37 sd had a nice cut.... but i really did not have any other WH to compare ??? Then past few yrs i had some different WH tractor models as well as different size and model decks -- they cut pretty well but it just seemed the 37 made for terrific cut and the lawn looked really nice -- of course especially when i used the bagger and the lawn looked clean like a vacuumed rug !!!!!!!!! Sooooo ---- it's interesting to read your comment about the 37 sd is "arguably the best cut" -- now i understand why i liked the cut so much !!! DITTO !!

• Like 1

kpinnc
19 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

"arguably the best cut" -- now i understand why i liked the cut so much !!! DITTO !!

I say "arguably" because different lawns work best with different decks. Most folks enjoy what they are used to. Some like the RD decks. Many like the 60. I've used all of them except the 36RD, and each has its strength. The 37 works well on basically anything that grows wild. On landscaped lawns that get mowed every time they have 1/2 inch growth, the RD decks work well. 

The 37 also works very well on leaves when coupled with a bagger. I used mine on a vacuum bagger, and the high lift combination with the vacuum was unbelievable. Where I live now has no heavy leaves to get up, so I no longer need that setup. I gave the vac to my FIL, and he loves it.

Now I have mutant grass that grows year round, and as much as an inch daily during the summer. With 3.5 acres to mow, my tractors just can't keep up, even with the 60. Now my primary mower is a Scag zero turn, and my Horses are only used as backups.

But- of all the deck combinations I ever used on a Wheel Horse, the 37 had the best cut and clipping dispersal. The 60 on my 520-H was a close second. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 1

KVustrud

Great info. here, thanks all!  Trying to decide what to do with the deck...!

• Like 1

peter lena

@KVustrud  those support brackets are cold rolled on a multi ton press, very short / strong, suggest if you want to  bend / adjust that side angle , to a straighter  setting , take the bracket off , have a heavy bench  vise ?  personally used an 8"  adjustable wrench , with a 1"  pipe about 3 / 4 ft. long , secure the holed , adjustment side , solidly in vise , and gently , use that  leverage , and wrench for a tweak  on the angle . having done this type of recovery , I know it works , make sure the wrench jaw is solid on its fit , and easily pry on that pipe extension , look / watch for effect . can easily see that bracket over powering that deck , strength . done this a few times , slow leverage pull / push will get you what you want . pete    

• Like 1

KVustrud
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@KVustrud  those support brackets are cold rolled on a multi ton press, very short / strong, suggest if you want to  bend / adjust that side angle , to a straighter  setting , take the bracket off , have a heavy bench  vise ?  personally used an 8"  adjustable wrench , with a 1"  pipe about 3 / 4 ft. long , secure the holed , adjustment side , solidly in vise , and gently , use that  leverage , and wrench for a tweak  on the angle . having done this type of recovery , I know it works , make sure the wrench jaw is solid on its fit , and easily pry on that pipe extension , look / watch for effect . can easily see that bracket over powering that deck , strength . done this a few times , slow leverage pull / push will get you what you want . pete    

Can you mark up a screen shot to show the bracket you're referring to?

I think I may jus keep this 42" deck for field/"bush bogging" lol so-to speak in our neighborhood fields and try to find a 37" deck and bagger for my lawn! 

peter lena

@KVustrud   isn't it the deck lift height guide ?  that is bent away from the deck ? that would seam pretty easy to counter bend , back to a straight measurement setting , in a vise , Pete 

Brockport Bill

my 312-8  has been great worker since bought new in 1989 - the 37" mower with bagger has gotten much use over 34 years -- Deck was still in good condition but we decided to rehab it to be sure it would last for many more years - Grandson in photo enjoys WH projects -- has done various Wh rehabs with me - he has his own 520HC and a C165 now.

wh 312 mower and bagger.jpg

wh 37 rehab RMS.jpg

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Brockport Bill said:

Grandson in photo enjoys WH projects

Great to see, but could you give the poor kid a bench to work on?

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
On 10/24/2023 at 12:28 PM, kpinnc said:

Some later models had a 1/8 plate inside to reinforce that area. You can add a couple fender washers under the nuts on the underside and it should be fine.

here's the photo of my 42 s.d mower with the factory plate underneath to reinforce the 2 rear axle carriage bolt anchor brackets

wh 42 sd mower reinforce plate.jpg

• Like 2

Brockport Bill
33 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Great to see, but could you give the poor kid a bench to work on?

funny Don - the 15 yr olds still have healthy lumbar backs - - different than us older guys -- Actually, we do use work benches and saw horses for most projects to save the backs but this one happened to be how he set up his work area

KVustrud
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

@KVustrud   isn't it the deck lift height guide ?  that is bent away from the deck ? that would seam pretty easy to counter bend , back to a straight measurement setting , in a vise , Pete 

I fixed that with some washers and new hardware. L bracket wasn’t actually bent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KVustrud

Here's where I am at.  My 42" deck is in really nice shape!  I fixed the height adjustment bracket issue with new hardware and adding some washers on the inside of the deck.  However, the right side (chute-side) spindle is not plum vertically so the right blade cuts lower on the outside than the other two. 

I really want a 37" deck as it sounds like this is the one that cuts the best and is more durable + I can use the bagger made for it with no additional pullies, belts, etc.

If I were to replace my front axle with a swept axle from a 520.....are these forward swept?  Would that allow me to use the 37" bagger deck with my larger front tires? 

• Like 1

peter lena

@KVustrud  if you a SPECIFIC chain / cable lubricant , it will have a anti sling lubricant, ingredient , WD  40 is minimal at best ,my snow bower chain was never dry, Pete    

• Like 1

KVustrud

Or.....!  A rear discharge deck + pull behind sweeper!   I just want to be sure the RD deck (35 or 42 would be fine) leaves a nice even cut on Bermuda and is not prone to uneven cutting or warping or anything. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, KVustrud said:

Or.....!  A rear discharge deck + pull behind sweeper!   I just want to be sure the RD deck (35 or 42 would be fine) leaves a nice even cut on Bermuda and is not prone to uneven cutting or warping or anything. 

The RDs are at least (mostly) symmetric in structure. I have seen later models get reinforcement at the points where the gage wheel holders bolt to the shell. Small plates on some and a full-width plate on others that also strengthened the deck angle adjustment bolt base (both on the underside). Ours has the full-width and when refurbing I took steps to carefully prime/paint the plate and shell underside to inhibit rust from invading (prevention is really only through careful maintenance, right?).

• Like 1

oliver2-44
14 hours ago, KVustrud said:

However, the right side (chute-side) spindle is not plum vertically so the right blade cuts lower on the outside than the other two. 

Try putting washes between one of the spindle mounting bolts to level the blade

• Like 1

KVustrud
9 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Now that's not a terrible idea....!  I'll give that a shot. 

Just frustrating to have to do all of this to a deck that's in great shape in order for it to cut level....

• Like 1

Rick3478
13 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

:text-yeahthat:and you'll have to dismount the spindle housing to do that, so check the sheet metal around it for flatness.  PO may have hit a tree root with it and pulled the metal a bit.  Hammer and body block as good as you can get it, then shim as needed.

• Like 1

KVustrud

I checked everything today very closely.  The deck is honestly in perfect condition, I cannot find anything wrong with it nor has it ever hit anything.....so I did some more reading.  I think with my expectations for 2" manicured Bermuda grass are just not a good fit for a WH tractor.  I need something with higher blade tip speed and a deck with more suction.  Anyone completely disagree with me before I jump ship?

• Like 2