BairleaFarm

Building an Off road Mower

BairleaFarm

I got hurt years ago and am unable to walk the woods.    I think an overland mower build is next up on my conversion.   I found a 8 speed that was built for pulling that ill be picking up tomorrow.  What motor is this? I am sure it wasn't stock.   Pics to follow on the horse when I get it home.

387825288_10159808012016009_6143592105776416625_n.jpg

• Like 2

Vintage_Wheel_Horse_Lover

maybe some type of larger kholer  i know the had like magnum 18s which were twins  

Pullstart

Looks a lot like a Briggs to me.  They sure do sound good when they’re running smooth!

4CA87DE7-4E68-474F-ABB4-5C19FF87F97C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

BairleaFarm
4 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Looks a lot like a Briggs to me. 

That's kinda what I thought.  Ive never really messed with anything other than a k series on the bigger stuff.  

Google has show this which has the same label as the one im getting. 

8AD3BE66-50F6-49CD-8422-88596996E7D6_1585526542797.jpg

Edited by BairleaFarm

sjoemie himself
23 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

4CA87DE7-4E68-474F-ABB4-5C19FF87F97C.jpeg

You would'nt happen to have a copy or PDF for that repair manual would you? Or maybe just a link to the source where one could maybe download that?

• Like 1

kpinnc

Definitely a Briggs opposed twin. The carbs can be a pain sometimes (if left sitting for a while), but you can replace them aftermarket nowadays. 

Very nice running engines!

• Like 2

Pullstart
Just now, sjoemie himself said:

You would'nt happen to have a copy or PDF for that repair manual would you? Or maybe just a link to the source where one could maybe download that?

@gwest_ca might you have a link?  I tried searching the manuals and didn’t find much.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Found it!  

• Excellent 2

BairleaFarm
10 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

The carbs can be a pain sometimes (if left sitting for a while), but you can replace them aftermarket nowadays. 

Very nice running engines!

I could be jumping the gun but I ordered a aftermarket carb for tomorrow.   Seller says it needs carb work.  Been in a barn for years.    Good to know the briggs could be a good runner for me. 

• Like 1

squonk

A rear axle built for pulling may not be the best for maneuvering in the woods if the pinions are welded

• Like 3

BairleaFarm
5 minutes ago, squonk said:

A rear axle built for pulling may not be the best for maneuvering in the woods if the pinions are welded

Depends on how off road I go lol.   The seller didnt even know it was a 8 speed so details are limited.   Looking at some builds online it seems to be a 50/50 shot if they weld the rearends.    Lots of unknown until I actually put hands on this.   Based of the horrible built wheelie bars id assume they didnt have the skillset to pull apart and weld.   Lots of plans going through my head and I havent even seen it in person yet.

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Handy Don

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

Achto
3 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

Seller says it needs carb work.

The opposed B&S engines are known for having fuel pump issues, diaphragm dries out if they sit for long periods. Easy to rebuild and the kits are available from B&S. 

• Like 4

Achto

@BairleaFarm

There are two styles of pumps for the opposed B&S, one with 3 mounting holes & one with 4 mounting holes.

B&S part # for 3 hole 393397 - more common & usually the less expensive of the 2

B&S part # for 4 hole 693502 - less common & the more expensive of the 2.

These are both available aftermarket as well for a lower price.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Gotta agree with @Achto, fuelpump diaphragm goes bad but is easily rebuildable. Just make sure you don't loose the tiny springs and put them in the right way. 

If memory serves me right you can rebuild the carb without taking it off the engine.

Taryl Fixes All on YouTube has a good video about the Briggs and carb online.

• Like 4

BairleaFarm

3 hour drive but a solid foundation for a offloading GT.   Wonder what model it is.  🤔      hood is bent but a second one came with it.     I really wish he had the foot rest and air cleaner assembly but he didn't.  

20231014_093605.jpg

20231014_093615.jpg

20231014_101004.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, BairleaFarm said:

solid foundation

Yer headed the right way there.  

IF there's a tag it'd be on the left side of the steering tower above where the lift handle used to mount. 

That bigger square hood with the back angled steering tower puts it anywhere from 1970 to 77.  

Those Craftsmen flat Briggs twins are generally a good engine.  

Lee1977

They modifited the belt tightner, Should be a vee idler up under the top of the belt with a tab on it to stop the belt. You also need a belt guard to help with changing gears

My best guess from what I can see is that it ,is a 1973 no name. the clutch and brake is on one pettle on the left side and it has the front hitch.  The food boards off a 73 or older

Raider will work with out modifitation.

BairleaFarm
19 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

IF there's a tag it'd be on the left side of the steering tower

2 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

The food boards off a 73 or older

Raider will work with out modifitation.

The tag is there.    I was able to clean it up enough to read.     The numbers show this to be a 1073 Raider 12 - 8 speed.

A belt pinch will be added since I wont be running the original belt guard.    When you modify the pulleys it's almost easier to make a new one.     

The carb is a 3 bolt but since it's missing parts I assume that's why it didn't work right lol.    Which wire is what on the top of the motor?  

1000001949.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

Which wire is what on the top of the motor?  

I can't say for sure having no real experience with wiring harness for a Briggs... Yet. 

Is there a schematic diagram for something like a Work Horse Gt1600 or 1642 or similar? 

BairleaFarm

Waiting on parts but I've decided what I'm going to do.   Locking the rear is the only mod I'm going to do at this time.    I'll update tierods, steering, etc as needed or if it breaks.    I'm going to keep the black frame, orange under hood (for tractors history sake) and the hood seat pan will go back to red.      A new carb was needed and she ran, drove, and shifted through all the gears.     I'll get it pulled apart and painted tomorrow.    18" front tires and 8" wheels ordered along with the fuel tank.    

I would like to find a intake for the briggs and foot boards.   

20231017_191853.jpg

20231017_191828.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, BairleaFarm said:

Locking the rear

@Greentored has a locked 8 speed by simply flipping 4 of the pinions so they all go the same way. 

That way you can reverse the decision if so desired.  

Weld it, and it's permanent... And they ain't making these anymore.... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BairleaFarm

Parts have started coming in and shes got a Name.    Shoot might even get some red paint tonight.    

20231019_105932.jpg

tractorlogo.JPG

• Like 2

BairleaFarm

Parts are coming.    There's a good chance I'll have the paint done and this gal running and driving this weekend for sure.    Fuel tank and front tires.   Getting excited.   

1000001987.jpg

1000001988.jpg

• Like 3