davem1111

Brinly and Slot hitches - various usage?

davem1111

I have recently come into possession of a new Brinly hitch kit, and a Slot hitch, which I had never seen or heard of before. I'm wondering what the various usages for these might be?  I can already imagine some things that I could fabricate to attach to these, and of course I would need to add the lift cable. Some of my tractors have the tube there already and some don't.

One idea is welding a 2" receiver to a tab of steel that would fit in the slot, then I could mount my winch on the back if I want to (I have it set up for a 2" Mule mount  on front right now).  Also a light weight boom to lift and move things. 

What other existing things are there?  I'm guessing plows, maybe tillers use one or the other of these?

What non-existing things can you dream up? :eusa-think::D

• Like 1

Tonytoro416

Recent quick and dirty build using a cultivator frame to attach to for a driveway rehab 

IMG_0460.jpeg

IMG_0462.jpeg

IMG_0458.jpeg

• Excellent 6

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I have recently come into possession of a new Brinly hitch kit, and a Slot hitch, which I had never seen or heard of before

Pictures Dave??!!??

C' mon man!!!

:hide:

• Haha 2

davem1111
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Pictures Dave??!!??

C' mon man!!!

:hide:

hitches.jpg.11128ccd30993a51c7c1409f690811da.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

Could be handy.   

• Excellent 1

Lee1977

SAM-1407.jpg

SAM-1730.jpg

This is my home made adjustable clevis. 

SAM-1406.jpg

SAM-0604.jpg

SAM-0603.jpg

SAM-1726.jpg

Pulverizer mostly used on large tractors to prepare for planting grass. I was using it to rip grass out of my drive.

SAM-0515.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 4

davem1111
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

SAM-0603.jpg

I really like the way that 2" receiver is up high, and the mount for the winch goes even higher. The mount I made for my winch (shown here on the front) has a car battery box on it and doesn't go higher than the receiver, so I'd need to make something different to achieve something like this.  

image.png.a3bdbfb6c0c142d13d80e4f8fe98ebfb.png

I'm curious - did you do this because the hydraulic lift (if your tractor has it) or the small stock cable isn't strong enough to lift some things? And did you have to lift the rear fender and seat to get that receiver mounted that high?  I think I've seen some pictures of mounts like this before....

• Like 1

Lee1977
3 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I really like the way that 2" receiver is up high, and the mount for the winch goes even higher. The mount I made for my winch (shown here on the front) has a car battery box on it and doesn't go higher than the receiver, so I'd need to make something different to achieve something like this.  

image.png.a3bdbfb6c0c142d13d80e4f8fe98ebfb.png

I'm curious - did you do this because the hydraulic lift (if your tractor has it) or the small stock cable isn't strong enough to lift some things? And did you have to lift the rear fender and seat to get that receiver mounted that high?  I think I've seen some pictures of mounts like this before....

It's an 8 speed I still use the hand lift for the grader blade in the next to last pictures above..  I could lift the pulverizer by hand, but with that weight on the lift it was almost imposible to push the releace.  There is a lot about this tractor you are not seeing The tractor fender is raised 1 3/4" below the fender bracket.  It also has 8" front rims and tires on the spindles for the 6" rims and has full 25" rear tires. The receiver hitch is braced on the top of the transmission.

SAM-1558.jpg

SAM-0488.jpg

SAM-0872.jpg

With some help from Kpinnc it has been modifited to a 316-8.

SAM-1722-3.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I really like the way that 2" receiver is up high, and the mount for the winch goes even higher. The mount I made for my winch (shown here on the front) has a car battery box on it and doesn't go higher than the receiver, so I'd need to make something different to achieve something like this

You can make or buy a double  receiver for an accessory mount. They're  used when towing a small trailer and wanting the second receiver for something like a bike carrier or cargo carrier. 

That'd give you some additional lift height.  

• Thanks 1

davem1111
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

It's an 8 speed I still use the hand lift for the grader blade in the next to last pictures above..  I could lift the pulverizer by hand, but with that weight on the lift it was almost imposible to push the releace.  There is a lot about this tractor you are not seeing The tractor fender is raised 1 3/4" below the fender bracket.  It also has 8" front rims and tires on the spindles for the 6" rims and has full 25" rear tires. The receiver hitch is braced on the top of the transmission.

With some help from Kpinnc it has been modifited to a 316-8.

Yeah, I would not want to be lifting anything heavy with that handle, unless maybe it was rigged with some pulleys like a block-and-tackle to give it more leverage. All of mine have hydraulic lift except my 312-A.  I'm guessing that once you do this to a tractor it is no longer able to mow at lower heights, so unless you want a higher cut the tractor isn't a good candidate for deck duty.

Nice re-power on that one. :handgestures-thumbupright:

peter lena

@Lee1977  nice job on that , get some chain / cable lube in that cable area , pull it out , spray it on , as it pulls itself into place on spool it will also pull in the lubricant , makes for a vey flexible  / rust / binding free set up, CRC has a good synthetic cable spray . pete  

• Like 1

Lee1977
18 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Lee1977  nice job on that , get some chain / cable lube in that cable area , pull it out , spray it on , as it pulls itself into place on spool it will also pull in the lubricant , makes for a vey flexible  / rust / binding free set up, CRC has a good synthetic cable spray . pete  

It's in the design of the latch,  The latch pin doesn't drop stright down, it goes down against a radius the more weight on the lift the harder it is to release it. 

The lift on theser models will drop by themselfs with no load on them ( hit a bump it will drop ) it's a weak spring in the handle . It works fine with my grader blade and a 42" deck.

If i greased it up I would trust it to stay up with a new spring.  

• Like 2

Handy Don
13 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I don’t recognize the black piece in the lower right. Is it a ⅝” thick piece to be used for fabbing a slot hitch implement connection?

Edited by Handy Don

Lee1977
3 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Yeah, I would not want to be lifting anything heavy with that handle, unless maybe it was rigged with some pulleys like a block-and-tackle to give it more leverage. All of mine have hydraulic lift except my 312-A.  I'm guessing that once you do this to a tractor it is no longer able to mow at lower heights, so unless you want a higher cut the tractor isn't a good candidate for deck duty.

Nice re-power on that one. :handgestures-thumbupright:

It mows 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher. the biggest problem it you have to block up the front of the deck to get it mounted. I did modifity the wheel bracket.

SAM-1006-2.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

8ntruck

Got to watch it if you hook a trailer to a receiver hitch mounted above the axle - if the trailer catches on something , the tractor almost instantly wheelies.

Today's passing of my experience to benefit other's wisdom.....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Got to watch it if you hook a trailer to a receiver hitch mounted above the axle - if the trailer catches on something , the tractor almost instantly wheelies.

Great to point this out. Even a low hitch point can cause a wheelie, but the higher the mount, the easier!

• Like 1

davem1111
38 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I don’t recognize the black piece in the lower right. Is it a ⅝” thick piece to be used for fabbing a slot hitch implement connection?

I'm not sure - there were a number of loose pieces, and this one seems to fit into the slot on this hitch. I'm not sure if it has any use by itself, since it only has the one hole in it. But it could have something done to it to make it useful, although it's a bit short so not much sticks out to weld to if it's put in the slot and bolted in. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

I'm not sure - there were a number of loose pieces, and this one seems to fit into the slot on this hitch. I'm not sure if it has any use by itself, since it only has the one hole in it. But it could have something done to it to make it useful, although it's a bit short so not much sticks out to weld to if it's put in the slot and bolted in. :eusa-think:

I think you’ll find it quite handy to have a “full range” of hitches, including the rear rock shaft components.

• Like 1

davem1111
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I think you’ll find it quite handy to have a “full range” of hitches, including the rear rock shaft components.

Yeah, I was just reading the instructions for installing the rock shaft under the seat.  That would seem to give more "lift" leverage to the "pull" from the handle or hydraulic lift cable.  I think I'll install this on my GT-1848, which is the one I use for just about anything that's not mowing (and mowing too).

Handy Don
4 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Yeah, I was just reading the instructions for installing the rock shaft under the seat.  That would seem to give more "lift" leverage to the "pull" from the handle or hydraulic lift cable.  I think I'll install this on my GT-1848, which is the one I use for just about anything that's not mowing (and mowing too).

So folks run a lift cable direct from the mid-tractor rock shaft all the way to their rear implement. Having the rear rock shaft gives you flexibility in pull/leverage and it also lets the rock shaft to implement chain link be at a different angle than the lift cable (as well as being independently length-adjustable).

• Thanks 1

Lee1977
6 hours ago, davem1111 said:

You need to check the width of the rocker shaft they made two, a long one for 1976 and 1977 C-series and a short one for all the ones with the gas tank under the seat.

Your limited in the rear lift with or without the rocker shaft. Don't know if it makes much difference.

• Thanks 1