yspecv

Help identifying WH 552?

yspecv

Hello everyone!

Been a minute since I've been on here but I need your help. I just picked up this, what I assume, is a '62 552. But what has me second guessing is the lift arm mechanism on the side(second pic). All the early '60s models I see have the lift arm that passes through the bulkhead. I also attached a pic of the serial number if that helps. I tried searching around Google images and couldn't find anything similar. Thanks!

PXL_20230921_141017826.jpg

PXL_20230921_141021802.jpg

PXL_20230921_141029858.jpg

PXL_20230921_141036764.jpg

ri702bill

Welcome!! That is a 1962 WH alright - maybe started life as a 552....  The short arm is part of the optional HY-2 hydraulic lift setup.

Looks like the pump, cylinder and brackets are long gone. Too bad A regular manual lift can be installed. Does it still have the Unidrive cylinder mount??

Here are pictures of a HY-2 kit I have, still shown on the donor tractor.

Bill

P1010135.JPG

P1010136.JPG

P1010137.JPG

P1010138.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

yspecv

That makes more sense. It has a sticker on top in front of the steering wheel that says something about hydraulic fluid. Had me scratching my head. It also has another bracket on the right side(from the seat). Must be where the pump was mounted. And no, the whole cylinder and everything is gone. Well, I guess I'll have to fabric something for the deck. I'm assuming you can't install a manual lift with out a different bulk head. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

The dash stand stays put, the lift arm is replaceable.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

There is a large clip inside, holding things together.

8D19F5A6-1743-4035-B323-3C178B19D3C1.jpeg

B5E2DA99-464B-4CD0-BA1D-FB0093379ECE.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

yspecv

Interesting. I have a few lift arms and brackets from other models. I'm sure I can fab up something to work. 

ri702bill

Maybe not if you keep that hood stand - 61 and 62 only. Switch to a 63 - 64 style - much simplier and friendly mounting..... bolts right in.

Bill

• Excellent 1

ri702bill

And - the 63 and later have the adjustable height stop - a HUGE benefit to skim a plow in the snow over the grass......... over the 61-62 2 position quardrant.

• Like 1

WHX??

Agreed Bill. 61 & 62 had a nasty way of ignoring the lever stop and bashing the belt guard. 

Nice tractor @yspecv what's your thoughts on a motor for it? 

yspecv
55 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Agreed Bill. 61 & 62 had a nasty way of ignoring the lever stop and bashing the belt guard. 

Nice tractor @yspecv what's your thoughts on a motor for it? 

Kohler or Briggs. I have a hate/hate relationship with Teks so I won't go that route. I figured I'd pick up a cheap snow blower somewhere and throw that in. Not looking for a show rig, just want to get it operational. I would probably pick up a Tek 55 if I can find on cheap, just to have an original engine for it, but I wouldn't mount it up. 

Edited by yspecv

yspecv

So will any older style lift handle work? I found this one, and ones similar, for a decent price, but it's for a 854. 

Screenshot_20230922-165224.png

Pullstart

Same dash tower, and a bonus you’ll get an adjustable stop!

• Thanks 1

yspecv

Thanks! I was digging through some parts I got from a buddy and found a quadrant and lift stop, but not the handle and rod. I'm hoping he has the rest of what I need. If not, looks like I'll be ordering one.  

• Like 2