"Manic-Mechanic"

Kohler K Series Throttle Linkage Mystery

"Manic-Mechanic"

This is a linkage set up with what appears to be an adjustable high speed stop screw. (Currently rusted in place) Question being, is the high speed set at this point in the linkage? I cannot get the desired rpm's moving the cable. Prefer not to change the governor spring settings. The governor is properly set. So, should this screw be utilized to increase the high throttle, is that correct? Or can this be done at the carburetor link currently set at 2-7/8?

Seems I cannot locate an engine manual with this linkage depicted as such with the screw, usually just a stop is utilized... Also this set up is found more so on Cub 105 and such Rather not go through the delicate process of freeing up this screw if it's not needed for higher rpm's

throttle linkage2.jpg

gwest_ca

In the old up to 1972 service manual

Kohler gov.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"

Yes, I seen this manual, it's not the same linkage. I will delve further into it trial and error this morning. Although it is very similar, thanks

peter lena

@Manicmacanic  noting a few areas of opportunity , regularly suggest , SUPER LUBE , for cable movement ease , also put that on each end of that governor , swing shaft , perfect spot on that fuel pump to carb vertical run , for a  fuel check valve , holds fuel up to carb . also added  spring pull to all of my  cables , assist to close , gives you pull assist  on any setting . used this set up for years , related ideas , many hours , no issues ,  have it on 3  kohler engines, consistent  easy starting / running . pete 

ineedanother

Free-up and adjust the screw. Changing the length of the link will either take your governor out of adjustment, or require that it be re-adjusted which will get you right back to where you are now.

• Excellent 1

gwest_ca

To increase governed rpm apply more tension to the spring. That is what a throttle cable does.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
37 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Manicmacanic  noting a few areas of opportunity , regularly suggest , SUPER LUBE , for cable movement ease , also put that on each end of that governor , swing shaft , perfect spot on that fuel pump to carb vertical run , for a  fuel check valve , holds fuel up to carb . also added  spring pull to all of my  cables , assist to close , gives you pull assist  on any setting . used this set up for years , related ideas , many hours , no issues ,  have it on 3  kohler engines, consistent  easy starting / running . pete 

That's a unique set up, what inspired you to modify the linkage?

"Manic-Mechanic"

Here is the assembly. That is the throttle stop adjustment I will get a closer look at. I couldn't find a manual so figured another member would be familiar.

exact.jpg

Edited by "Manic-Mechanic"

peter lena

@Manicmacanic  it was the REPITITION OF THE  ISSUE , kept on doing the same thing with out a change . once I freed up every related linkage point . started thinking  about  a spring  pull to pull it back to close / stop . used the holes on the linkage as a go to point , added perforated  stainless  for a go to spring  pull area , also added a battery cable ground bolt  point to the , electrical rectifier , insuring electrical charging , those engine tins , are often rotted / rusty , making for erratic  electrical charging , not any more. also note the EVIL ENERGY  fuel check valve holding fuel just under carb?   4 photo down. held fuel makes for instant starts . regularly experiment / test a fix , have this same thing on my 3 horses , in a number of areas , chronic / repetitive  problems are what you want , for a track down and eliminate  same ,  Pete    

• Excellent 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
58 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

Free-up and adjust the screw. Changing the length of the link will either take your governor out of adjustment, or require that it be re-adjusted which will get you right back to where you are now.

I will do exactly that this morning. No, do not want to readjust the whole governor linkage for sure! I seen the distance traveled from the governor arm to the carb, and the amount needed to increase rpm's. Glad I did not try that adjustment! Should've known better to try and move the butterfly in that location! 

Thank you! 

"Manic-Mechanic"
49 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

To increase governed rpm apply more tension to the spring. That is what a throttle cable does.

Yes, this can be done at the bottom of the governor arm too but not sure if this method would've given me the rpm's correctly either. So, yes it's all leading up to this rusted screw! 

• Like 1

peter lena

put it back , close to where it was , now  , verify all related connecting movement areas , thats what I did , found a number of spots that were collectively , causing the issue , that led me to the spring pull on the cables ,those cables are laying here , dead , dragging , when I added a spring to assist its return to close , that was the answer , combined with super lube , those  2 levers move with out effort . think about it , the springs are always assisting cable close / stop , they work so easily , its stupid ,  have that set up on all my horses . I WAS LOOKING RIGHT AT IT . now thats how I see the fix , experiment  , I won't tell anyone , pete 

• Haha 1

"Manic-Mechanic"
3 minutes ago, peter lena said:

put it back , close to where it was , now  , verify all related connecting movement areas , thats what I did , found a number of spots that were collectively , causing the issue , that led me to the spring pull on the cables ,those cables are laying here , dead , dragging , when I added a spring to assist its return to close , that was the answer , combined with super lube , those  2 levers move with out effort . think about it , the springs are always assisting cable close / stop , they work so easily , its stupid ,  have that set up on all my horses . I WAS LOOKING RIGHT AT IT . now thats how I see the fix , experiment  , I won't tell anyone , pete 

My lips are sealed!

"Manic-Mechanic"

After getting behind the fuel pump clearly shows some changes were made at some point.  Hard to find the Factory settings without an exact manual but it appears the spring may need to be lowered on the governor arm for higher rpm's as the stop adjustment isn't the way to do it?

IMG_9517.jpeg