Doc Watts

Hydraulic hose problem .

Doc Watts

:sleeping-drool: I had a hydraulic hose burst on my c-160 that I just purchased. When I went to the tractor shop the man behind the counter told me that the threads were not compatible with what he had. Said they looked as if they were pipe threads. Does any of you folks know what he was referring to. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

JPWH

He is probably referring to the fittings being normal pipe threads and they probably carry jic fittings. Take your hose to a hydraulic shop. They will be able to match your fittings. You can also call wheel horse parts and more and he can make what you need.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, JPWH said:

He is probably referring to the fittings being normal pipe threads and they probably carry jic fittings. Take your hose to a HYDRAULIC SHOP. They will be able to match your fittings. You can also CALL WHEEL HORSE PARTS AND MORE and he can make what you need.

Agreed. 

I'm lucky enough to have a great hydraulic repair shop near my work that's reasonably priced.... For what they do. 

Even then, Lowell's pricing on the correct hoses with no adapters is FAR better.  

Second vote to call Lowell.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

In a pinch, some NAPA stores make hydraulic hoses on site.... the one in my town does.

• Like 2

squonk

Hoses come in different grades. Same with fittings. I have gotten hoses on line that last maybe a year before they start seeping. Our Napa uses 3 wire hose and top grade fittings from Eaton (Weatherhead) Not cheap but you get what you pay for.

• Like 6

JoeM
9 hours ago, Doc Watts said:

Does any of you folks know what he was referring to

If you are talking about the hydraulic lift. I am thinking your hoses have o-ring boss fittings on the ends that screw in. #4 or #5. Not a common type. 

Those hoses can be purchase here

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/product-category/hydraulics/

image.png.9b9736f63cecd8457e7aa3e82a639ef0.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Older WH hydraulics use SAE#5 ORB (O ring Boss) fittings.  (Later they switched to the much more common SAE#6 ORB)  The SAE#5 are near impossible to find now.  Lowell has hoses with them.  i doubt any local hardware or even hydro place would have them.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

:text-yeahthat: I went to my local hose shop in a pinch because I wouldn’t see Lowell for a bit yet.  I ended up buying hoses the same length, but with all the adapters they wouldn’t fit in the tractor.

• Like 2

squonk

My GT-14 had the hard to find o ring ends. I did find the correct thread o ring adapter with a male 1/4 flare end. Then made hoses with 1/4" female swivel ends. Worked great

• Like 3

Handy Don

My last project caused me to spend a LOT of time and cash researching hydraulics. 

For straight up replacements I, too, endorse Wheel Horse Parts and More. You get exactly the right length and terminations for easy “bolt in”.

Stock hoses with adaptors work a la @squonk and can save money but space is tight in our tractors so you have to be careful to fit things in!

For custom stuff, PM me and I can offer suggestions.

That said...

Yes, the ORB #5 fittings are uncommon and with somewhat fewer options, but they are readily available from several online sources that will make custom hoses.

3-wire hose is (IMHO) radical overkill for WH tractor hydraulics which max out at around 700psi. This hose is intended for systems running at 4,000 to 6,000 psi plus it is very stiff both for bending and twisting and it is larger in diameter. 1-wire is plenty; 2-wire if you must.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

squonk

I bought a set of hoses from a popular WH site for my C-160. One hose leaked in a year. Replaced it with an Eaton hose. Twice as much money.  Another is seeping. I bought another Eaton hose to replace it when it really starts to leak bad. Over kill or not, I don't want leaks!(Plus when it leaks, it leaks on your shoes! ) :shock:

IMG_20230721_115220320.jpg.195f973e922909983e6b1de08ca15488.jpg

IMG_20230721_115824468.jpg.9e8c662a74768687ff841ce1904e3d80.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
Just now, squonk said:

I bought a set of hoses from a popular WH site for my C-160. One hose leaked in a year. Replaced it with an Eaton hose. Twice as much money.  Another is seeping. I bought another Eaton hose to replace it when it really starts to leak bad. Over kill or not, I don't want leaks!

The wire spec doesn’t address leaks in particular, only that the OD is usually larger so it might fit tighter in the maker’s “standard” fitting collar. I suspect the Eaton hoses are better put together.

My experience is that the fit, quality, and installation process of the hose-end fitting are much more important. The compression collar must be correct for the hose OD, be of sufficient strength to hold its crimp, and be fully compressed by a crimping tool of adequate strength. Failure of any of these leads to premature hose leaks.

• Like 1

Handy Don

image.png.782681da1f6b315f8ef1bf5fde1d02ad.png

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

Doc Watts
On 7/20/2023 at 9:55 PM, Doc Watts said:

:sleeping-drool: I had a hydraulic hose burst on my c-160 that I just purchased. When I went to the tractor shop the man behind the counter told me that the threads were not compatible with what he had. Said they looked as if they were pipe threads. Does any of you folks know what he was referring to. Thanks for your help.

• Like 1

Doc Watts

:blink:

I thank all you for your input and knowledge. I’ll look into the W.H. Parts website. Also I will check out the Easton hoses. I don’t need to waste money on shoes when I have horses to take care of.🤣

thanks again.

I will send a couple pics when I figure out how to do it.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Doc Watts said:

send a couple pics when I figure out how to do it.

What type of device are you using to be on Redsquare? 

• Like 1

Doc Watts

Iphone

ebinmaine

@admin does one of you have an iPhone or can tell @Doc Watts how to load pics from it? 

case442

Good morning,

I use my IPhone on here. Anytime I download pictures I have to pic the small size of my photo ti get it to publish. I guess the iPhone photo platform is too large?

if I can help in any way let me know.

Mike

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, case442 said:

photo platform is too large?

if I can help in any way let me know.

Mike

Excellent. Thanks Mike. 

Doc is looking for a general procedure to start. 

Mine's an android so I'm unfamiliar. 

Your pic/file size limits would apply to any device. 

To eliminate the limits, become a Redsquare Supporter. 

Best money you can spend!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

case442

I may have to consider being a supporter.

• Excellent 2

Handy Don

Not gonna discourage this, but it won’t solve your issue 😁

3 hours ago, case442 said:

I may have to consider being a supporter.

The most common issue is not the size of the images (although that can be a factor), but rather that an iPhone’s default image storage format is HEIC while the forum can only display images in JPG or JPEG format.

Your options are:

- change your phone’s settings to store in JPG

- convert one or more images from HEIC to JPG

Here is a link to a fairly easy description of the steps.

Edited by Handy Don