Thatoneguy
39 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Easier to control the force being applied if the bolt has a fine thread.

@Handy Don unfortunately I have already welded the course thread bold on the plate.  Hopefully it will get it off and maybe I will make one with fine threads later down the road!  Thank you for the advice though I did not think about that when I was bolt shopping! 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, mower said:

@Handy Don unfortunately I have already welded the course thread bold on the plate.  Hopefully it will get it off and maybe I will make one with fine threads later down the road!  Thank you for the advice though I did not think about that when I was bolt shopping! 

You'll be fine with the coarse thread as long you're conscious of the difference while using the puller. 

Remember.  It took 40+ years to become stuck. 

It won't likely slide right off.  

Tighten it up. 

Heat if possible.  

Let it set a bit.  

Repeat.  

Repeat.  

• Like 2

Thatoneguy

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of tires to buy? I would like to have the tractor tires on the back. 

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, mower said:

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of tires to buy? I would like to have the tractor tires on the back. 

Peruse this thread:

• Like 1

Thatoneguy

A little update on my sundstrand.  After pressure washing it the by pass valve leaks once it is screwed in passed a certain point. I put a new o-ring on it but still does the same thing.  If I screw it all the way in I can sit there and watch it start to seep past it… any ideas.  Does this require thread tape or any type of thread sealant?

image.jpg

image.jpg

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, mower said:

Does this require thread tape or any type of thread sealant?

@daveoman1966 ?

• Like 1

Achto
On 7/7/2023 at 2:27 PM, ebinmaine said:

what's your puller got for a center bolt?

I use a 3/4" center bolt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thatoneguy

Got the puller made and painted.  Going to give it a try this evening. 

08D009B3-BDD0-4D97-988F-0C1DFDCA694E.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Thatoneguy

Things are just not going my way…. Any ideas?  I am thinking cut it off….

image.jpg

• Sad 1

ineedanother
45 minutes ago, mower said:

Things are just not going my way…. Any ideas?  I am thinking cut it off….

image.jpg

Yep. Cut it off. Don't ever consider a BFH to remove a hub! The axle is held laterally with a c-clip which doesn't tolerate excessive force being applied.

• Thanks 1

Thatoneguy
Just now, ineedanother said:

Yep. Cut it off. Don't ever consider a BFH to remove a hub! The axle is held laterally with a c-clip which doesn't tolerate excessive force being applied.

BFH? What is that? 

ineedanother

Big friggin hammer :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wheel-N-It

DITTO, just cut it off. Nothing there left to save

• Like 1

Thatoneguy

Well after about 3 1/2 hours and who knows how much propane, I had to cut one hub off and the other slid off like a piece of sandpaper on wool!  Checked for play in the shaft and will be replacing seals before reassembly! Thanks to everyone for their help getting them off, especially @richmondred01 for being faster than Amazon on the new hubs! 

C3848A5F-342A-44D8-8BD9-1A663BCB781D.jpeg
:tools-hammerdrill:

EBDD58C0-E0C6-4F6C-8046-FDCEA584D20C.jpeg

Edited by mower
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, mower said:

slid off like a piece of sandpaper on wool!

:ROTF:

1 hour ago, mower said:

Well after about 3 1/2 hours

Mine average at least a day or two. 

I've had one take two weeks!!

You did just fine. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wheel-N-It

Fortitude led the way.   Good work !!

I've not had this problem working on wheel horses, but its good to know what can be expected. 

• Like 3

Thatoneguy
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

:ROTF:

Mine average at least a day or two. 

I've had one take two weeks!!

You did just fine. 👍

Well I broke the first hub last Thursday trying to get it off.  Then I thought it might be a good idea to wait and get some advice as I wasn’t really sure what to do when I got down to 3 lug holes!! :tools-hammerdrill:

I got the puller finished Monday night and got it all bolted up and thought hell I don’t even have a socket or wrench big enough to fit it…. :text-imwithstupid:  

So you could call it 5 days! 

Edited by mower
  • Haha 2

Thatoneguy

This is what I came up with to get my needle bearing out of the pto pulley housing..  I am no machinist and lucky me :angry-banghead: my caliper battery died, but the way I read it it is 1.30x1.42 with the sides rounded.  I can get it in there without modifying anything on the pulley housing and pounded :tools-hammer: it right out.

2D5AAF9E-FF58-4C56-988F-2AEBFF53D489.jpeg

8D20C321-0695-45E1-B857-450251F14827.jpeg

Edited by mower
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

If your planning on using the same bearing, I would clean it in place.  The needle cage will probable get damaged trying to remove it. you can flush it with solvent and an old 1" brush, then give it a final spray down with a cab of brake clean.  Fill  it with a clean cloth and tape it off for painting.  

Of course if your replacing it that will work.  I know there is a snap ring on the PTO end with the roller bearing.  I seem to recall their also being one on the needle bearing end.  

• Thanks 1

Thatoneguy
1 hour ago, oliver2-44 said:

If your planning on using the same bearing, I would clean it in place.  The needle cage will probable get damaged trying to remove it. you can flush it with solvent and an old 1" brush, then give it a final spray down with a cab of brake clean.  Fill  it with a clean cloth and tape it off for painting.  

Of course if your replacing it that will work.  I know there is a snap ring on the PTO end with the roller bearing.  I seem to recall their also being one on the needle bearing end.  

Yes I got everything out of it fairly easily. I will be getting a new needle bearing. :text-thankyouyellow:

• Like 1

Thatoneguy

My apprentice!  Looks like he knows just the tools to go for! :tools-hammer:

A3C7F74D-0DDE-4E3E-8422-F6F941E646A4.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, mower said:

My apprentice

That's AWESOME 

• Heart 1

Thatoneguy

Anyone had any experience repairing worn gears on the steering?  Mine are worn and in the past when I turn left hard it would pop a few times before catching.  

ebinmaine

In short, replace em. 

The gears can be closed in to some extent by a properly placed washer behind the cotter pin ... But... If yours are already "jumping" past they'd be better off replaced by a good used set.  

• Thanks 1

Wheel-N-It
23 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

In short, replace em. 

The gears can be closed in to some extent by a properly placed washer behind the cotter pin ... But... If yours are already "jumping" past they'd be better off replaced by a good used set.  

Ditto on what Ed said about this.

• Thanks 1