sbtgog80

wheel horse C165

Sparky

Very nice and with a deck :handgestures-thumbupright: !

That model was made from 1980-1984. If you find the model number tag we can tell you it’s exact year. 

:WRS:

• Like 5

ri702bill

16 Horse 8 speed Black Hood - what's not to like...:thumbs2:

• Like 1

pfrederi

16 horse  Kohler,... simple wiring.. bullet proof tranny.  great tractor

• Like 1

bds1984

One of the best models Wheel Horse made!  I've had mine close to thirty years now and wouldn't dare think of giving her up!

859875771_C165WW1.0(1).jpg.2bc4646529712ff807c769a223079a4d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Excellent tractor !

As stated above.... Very stout.  

• Like 1

ineedanother

Good find. I only have 4 :wh: but this is my favorite :thumbs:

IMG_0711.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sailman

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Looked high and low for the C-160 hydro I finally procured. Then stumbled upon a 416- 8. Those 16's will do ANYTHING asked of them. Congratulations!

• Like 2

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

my grandson and I rescued a long abandoned C165-8 a couple years ago - got it running with help of a Rd Sq friend - a little labor time, and not too much $ -- it's now at my grandsons as one of his along with his 520HC ------- I'd love to find a C165 with the hydro -- don't see many of them ever posted?

wh C165 rescue backyard.jpg

wh C165 repair driveway.jpg

wh C165 rehab gas tank rear.jpg

wh C165 Running RMS.jpg

thumbnailwh c165 trailer.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

@Brockport Bill Ask ye shall receive! Here’s a couple pics of mine. 

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4599.jpeg

IMG_3690.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg

IMG_6799.jpeg

• Excellent 4

ineedanother
41 minutes ago, c-series don said:

Very nice Don, as is your whole collection :thumbs: I covet the mid grader, sinner that I am :wicked: Some day I'll find one her in NC.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Wheel-N-It

Nothing else looks like a Black Hood Wheel Horse. I like that about them. Another thing about the Black Hood, I've had three, and the steering feels different than the later 300 and 400 series tractors. Although it does not have a steering box, the Black Hoods have a certain feel to them that I really like.

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_4633.jpeg

IMG_4599.jpeg

IMG_3690.jpeg

IMG_2494.jpeg

IMG_6799.jpeg

omg - - Yikes, Don !!!! that is one gorgeous group of tractors -- but lovin that C165 -- plus as beautiful as it is, it's also a worker tractor with that tiller, hauling a cart, plows, etc!!! Curious tho?? Is there a difference between a C165 hydro, and an automatic ?? I see the hood decal says "Automatic" I checked TractorData.com but couldn't distinguish? Although I see the yrs vary with Eaton and Sunstrand?

ineedanother
2 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

my grandson and I rescued a long abandoned C165-8 a couple years ago - got it running with help of a Rd Sq friend - a little labor time, and not too much $ -- it's now at my grandsons as one of his along with his 520HC ------- I'd love to find a C165 with the hydro -- don't see many of them ever posted?

wh C165 rescue backyard.jpg

I think that was a great find and rescue, and one of the little things I liked was that the steering wheel didn't pose a question. You knew what you had there! 

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
19 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

I think that was a great find and rescue, and one of the little things I liked was that the steering wheel didn't pose a question. You knew what you had there! 

yes the steering wheel was one challenge ---- of course one always wonders "why was the tractor parked"? So worried about the engine internals -- but so far ok -- did need a coil, new motor mount, and other band aids, along with some typical tune up related work, Carb clean/rebuild kit, gas tank cleaned, new fuel line, some filters, plus points, plug, and fuel pump -- but also 3 flushes of tranny -- the gear shift boot was rotted from being left outdoors, thus water in the tranny -- so after the flushes and fresh gear oil, all ok - My grandson started some cosmetic work so we will see how that suceeds?

wh C165 oil change.jpg

wh C165 oil change milky.jpg

• Like 1

c-series don

@Brockport Bill To answer your question, as far I know there is no C-165 hydro, just automatic. As you said, some came with some Sunstrands and the later models came with Eaton transmissions. I have an easy way to determine which is which. If you look at the filter location, the Sunstrand is on the side, and the Eaton is on the end of the transmission. It gets a little confusing, but in the 300 series tractors there is a difference between the A and the H models. The A models had an eaten 700 transmission and manual lift which was not made for ground engaging implements. The H models had an Eaton 1100 transmission with the heavy duty inch and an eighth axles. In the 400 series the A has the Eaton 1100 (417-A and 418-A) The 518-H however had an Eaton 700 while the 520-H had an Eaton 1000. So there you go, now you’re probably more confused than before 🤣🤣 I’m pretty sure I am ! 

• Haha 2

Brockport Bill
7 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@Brockport Bill To answer your question, as far I know there is no C-165 hydro, just automatic. As you said, some came with some Sunstrands and the later models came with Eaton transmissions. I have an easy way to determine which is which. If you look at the filter location, the Sunstrand is on the side, and the Eaton is on the end of the transmission. It gets a little confusing, but in the 300 series tractors there is a difference between the A and the H models. The A models had an eaten 700 transmission and manual lift which was not made for ground engaging implements. The H models had an Eaton 1100 transmission with the heavy duty inch and an eighth axles. In the 400 series the A has the Eaton 1100 (417-A and 418-A) The 518-H however had an Eaton 700 while the 520-H had an Eaton 1000. So there you go, now you’re probably more confused than before 🤣🤣 I’m pretty sure I am ! 

yup - - i sorta knew some of that stuff but not all, and always love to learn more -- or just confirm what I thought I recalled ??????? The difference between the A and H was something I am still trying to navigate across various models???? However, the location of the filter to distinguish which tranny mfg was something i recall vaguely needing to learn when I got the 175s a few yrs ago. I did learn the engine distinction to look for to determine the Series 1 versus 2 for the 175s. I am certainly not an engine or tranny expert -- but the one that puzzles me is why WH put the 700 tranny in a 500 series tractor (518h) HUH ?? Thanks for clarification - Bill

• Like 2

c-series don

I agree on the 518, but I guess if you’re only going to mow grass it would be okay? Probably around 15-20 years ago a buddy of mine bought a 518-H used that was like brand new. I’m talking this thing had wax packed in the hood seem, it was waxed that often! He wanted hydraulic lift so I had him buy everything that he needed to convert it, only to find out that it can’t be done to that transmission. If I remember correctly it has no ports and no charge pump. I didn’t know this until we pulled off the fender pan. I kinda felt like a jerk for having him buy all the stuff because I was confident that we could convert it relatively easily only to find it can’t be done. He however just said  “oh well looks like I just have to buy a tractor with hydraulic lift!” And his addiction to Wheel Horses was born!! 

• Haha 3

Jon Paulsen

To me those are also the best looking horses, unless you go back to the really old ones. 

Brockport Bill
2 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I agree on the 518, but I guess if you’re only going to mow grass it would be okay? Probably around 15-20 years ago a buddy of mine bought a 518-H used that was like brand new. I’m talking this thing had wax packed in the hood seem, it was waxed that often! He wanted hydraulic lift so I had him buy everything that he needed to convert it, only to find out that it can’t be done to that transmission. If I remember correctly it has no ports and no charge pump. I didn’t know this until we pulled off the fender pan. I kinda felt like a jerk for having him buy all the stuff because I was confident that we could convert it relatively easily only to find it can’t be done. He however just said  “oh well looks like I just have to buy a tractor with hydraulic lift!” And his addiction to Wheel Horses was born!! 

for all of us -- I suppose there are other similar stories to that one -- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Long time joke --- the definition of "EXPERIENCE" is "life's accumulated mistakes"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

sbtgog80
On 6/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, pfrederi said:

16 horse  Kohler,... simple wiring.. bullet proof tranny.  great tractor

what kind of fluid goes in the Tranny,  do you know the drive belt size ,  i wanna change all the fluids and wiring fixed and put this tractor to work

• Like 1

sbtgog80
On 6/25/2023 at 4:41 PM, ineedanother said:

Good find. I only have 4 :wh: but this is my favorite :thumbs:

IMG_0711.jpg

I love those tires 

• Like 1