Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

c161rat

Ian,

Congrats on your success. Man that thing went together fast!!!!!!!! LOL.......Seriously though you have showed us all what perseverance and ingenuity can accomplish. I know you wanted to give up a couple times and even second guessed your designs but in the end it was all worth it!!!!! Great job!!!!!!! Now get in that shed and get some paint on that ugly turd!!!!!! I'm kind of partial to flat black and pinstripes if you are looking for suggestions!!!!!!! LOL

Ole MN

Ian

That was wonderful :woohoo::bow-blue::greetings-clappingyellow::banana-tux::text-thankyouyellow:

illinilefttackle

Great job Ian! No quit in you..you fought all the way thru. One thought tho-on my C-125A I was told to always run my hydro at at least 3/4 throttle. What do you think? Should you? Again-great to see your success!-Al

stevebo

Looks to me like you may want to add a skid plate on that bad boy! Huge amount of work you put into that project. :thumbs2:

312Hydro

Congratulations Ian to you and your friends for making your dream a reality. I always admired the way you worked out the problems you encountered and sometimes "thought outside the box" when a solution required it. Great project and great execution! Hat's off to you ,sir. :bow-blue: Have a beer! :beer:

AMC RULES

Awesome, confident steering it now Ian?

Stigian

Hi Guy's. Wow!! So many great reply's.... Thank you all. and thank you for keeping faith in this build.. It's certainly helped me keep going when times have been tough...

Over 50000 views now.. I'm blown away..

Congrats Ian.. THE BEAST IS ALIVE..WOHOOOOOOOOOO :bow-blue: ... Glad to see it works out for you after all the time u have used on this beast, good work. keep updating when ur doing the paint job also cant wait to see it finish.

ill bet Ian is happy like this now :banana-guitar:

:beer:

Lars

Btw after watching ur last vid.. i think a seat belt would have been a good idea..because you don't have the steering wheel to hang on to LOL

Thanks Lars, I'm rather glad it has all worked out too.. Don't worry, loads of updates to come, the beast is now where near finished yet.. I get what your saying about fitting a seat belt, a much better seat that doesn't bend would be a great help to start with..

Ian,

you are the man ! looks like I need to arrange a trip to see you very soon...

How did I know you were going to say that Mark..

Looks good Ian!! I'm glad it all worked out and your happy!! now to get the blade and 3 point on ! winter is not far away.

Thanks Scott. Funny you should mention the blade and 3 point.. Your see why in a bit.

Very nice Ian! Glad it finally worked out for you! ~Jake

Ta muchly Jake.

Awesome! How soon till I can order one?

It might be a little while yet, not finished this one yet!!

I agree on the seat-belt... also it looks like you need to build some covers for your chain gears so you don't fill them up with weeds.. Very well done sir!!

Hey Alan, The chains will get covers, I have kept and labeled the squares of steel that were cut out the outriggers for making covers out of..

You Da Man! Watching that beast do a complete 360 while staying in the same place was just awesome! I know its been a long road, but that just makes the success all that much sweeter!

Matt :flags-texas:

Hey Matt, doing a complete 360 was the big turning point (pun intended) in this build, the hardest part is done..

It doesn't get any better than that! Turning and climbing banks doing just what you wanted it to do. With two transmissions you can have separate lifts :bow-blue: front and back. :bow-blue: I can see this build lasting a few more years. :ychain:

Thanks Don. I'm not sure on this build lasting a "few" more years, but there is still quite a way yet to go until it's finished.

Great vid...love the closing shot of the tractor driving over the camera!

BTW...I ditto the seat belt sentiment, and along the lines of safety, do you suppose there is much chance of a pant leg, errant boot lace, etc getting caught in any of the running gear, or a foot bouncing off the footrests ending up between the tires? Would some sort of fenders be advisable? Just a thought...'cause you know, that thing is rightly called a beast, and I'd sure hate for it to eat you!

That thing is awesome...just awesome. Congrats to you again!!!

Thank you Chris. Rob wasn't too keen on driving "over" the camera, but it had to be done to make good closing shot.

The wheels will get fenders fitted, not quite at the bodywork stage yet though.

The drive belt has this massive guard to cover it all, it needs a few mods before it will bolt back on which I can't do until my new grinder turns up.. I need to stop the belt from jumping off the pulleys as well, it shouldn't be hard to sort.

TSS1440.jpg

Stigian

Congrats Ian! That is an awesome machine! :greetings-clappingyellow:

Ta Muchly.

AAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMAAAAAAAZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG

TTTHHHHHAAAANNNKKKK YYOOOOOUUUUUUU :D

A well earned bravo Ian. You've done a fine job on seeing this through and I commend you.

Thanks Massey.

Outstanding work my friend. You're a hell of a fabricator.

I can't wait to see what your next project is going to be.

Thanks James. I know what the next project will be, I guess I should get this one finished first :)

I was the first Youtube view on the first drive, almost drove me to tears seeing your face. I am so happy for you!!!

Hi Carl, I should of guessed it was you having the first view :) How are you keeping? No need to cry over my vid.. Your only make your keyboard wet and give it a mind of it's own when the circuit board gets damp..

very nice ! . great job on the build

Thanks Perry....

That thing is extremely cool! Good video!

Ta muchly Zeek.

Stigian

:bow-blue: Ian,

I can only endorse what these Guys have already said about your success in finally taming 'The Beast'. only to say that your work has been a fine example of the ability to 'Adapt and Overcome'. A remarkable endeavour from the start (I suspect you feel you haven't finished it yet). I take my hat off to you. :eusa-clap: . Seeyousoon.

Hi Richard, I quite like your "Taming the Beast" :D Adapt and overcome has been the name of the game with this machine, so many bits have been chopped and changed to get this far.

Your right, I do feel like it's not finished yet, but the hard part has been done.

Tremendous stuff Ian. Lovely to see her doing what you designed her to do. Front & rear linkage would be great as the next stage?

I bet you feel marvellous, after all the hiccoughs along the way, to actually get a test drive like that: project delivered , as designed!

Hi Ed, I do have a 3 point to go on the back, I should be starting to get that sorted over the next few weeks.. The front definitely needs a dozer blade... ;)

SWEEEEEEEEET !!!!

Thanks Kato.

ian, i have sat back and watched this build and havent said much...nows the time lol

that has to be the toughest wheel horse out there, congrats on the success. you guys have put a ton of time and effort into this project and you all deserve to be commended. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Thanks Jason, yeah she does look a bit mean :D Yep, we have put a load of time and effort into this project, I couldn't of done it without help..

So a big thanks to Garry, Pete, Rob, and the ever camera shy Mr Pickled Pickles.

Congradulations Ian on a fantastic :notworthy: build! :thumbs:

Now lets have a drink! :beer: ~Duke

Thanks Duke. Have a drink I did.. My Wife made sure I had to drink a whole bottle of red wine in just over 1 1/2 hours (we went out for a meal).. No hangover the next day but it took a while for the "still slightly drunk feeling" to go away :eusa-whistle:

Stigian

Hey Stig, I'm so relieved that your project is working. It's been all of your (and your pals) hard work, sweat, blood and tears that have gone into this. I put one comment about the possibilty of running two transmissions and a couple days later you have the tractor hacked apart and a second transmission staged. I can't believe the perserverence when that idea wasn't working, belts slipping and all. I would have given up right there. I'd like to think it was my idea that made this work, but it was your ingenuity that pulled this through. Congrats, and I'll have a beer for you!!!!

Not as relieved as I was when it turned as it should :D Your comment about running two trans'ss was and still is a fine idea.. So yep it's your idea that has made this work. I had the fun of working out how to make it all work. Lol, yes it's given plenty of problems, but there was no way I would ever of given up on it.. Building this mad project is what ha kept me sane for the past 3 odd years.

Enjoy your beer :thumbs:

So what's the next step?

Sort out a few little drive train problems (more on that after I've done all the replies), then get the 3 point finished.. After that a bit of bodywork.

Phew.. That's page 31's replies done..

Stigian

Ian,

Congrats on your success. Man that thing went together fast!!!!!!!! LOL.......Seriously though you have showed us all what perseverance and ingenuity can accomplish. I know you wanted to give up a couple times and even second guessed your designs but in the end it was all worth it!!!!! Great job!!!!!!! Now get in that shed and get some paint on that ugly turd!!!!!! I'm kind of partial to flat black and pinstripes if you are looking for suggestions!!!!!!! LOL

Thanks dude. I've never wanted to give up on it, but there more than a few times when I just had to walk away for a while... Things always look better the next day with a fresh head.. And a coffee :D

Lol, yep she needs paint.. It will be a while until I'm at that stage though. Sorry no custom paint job on this beast, she's going to be the correct red for the year... 1971 is the look I'm going for.

Ian

That was wonderful :woohoo::bow-blue::text-thankyouyellow:

Thanks Brad, glad it was "good for you".

Great job Ian! No quit in you..you fought all the way thru. One thought tho-on my C-125A I was told to always run my hydro at at least 3/4 throttle. What do you think? Should you? Again-great to see your success!-Al

Thanks Al. The ol girl put up quite a fight at times.. Showed her who was boss :D I have been running her at about half throttle, and gave Rob a light telling off about driving it at just about tick-over.

Looks to me like you may want to add a skid plate on that bad boy! Huge amount of work you put into that project. :thumbs2:

Your right about the skid plate, your see why when I post the latest photo's!!

Congratulations Ian to you and your friends for making your dream a reality. I always admired the way you worked out the problems you encountered and sometimes "thought outside the box" when a solution required it. Great project and great execution! Hat's off to you ,sir. :bow-blue: Have a beer! :beer:

Thanks Rich, as annoying as the problems were, working out ways around them was the most fun.. I like a challenge :D

Not got any beer in the house, it will have to be a cider instead..

Awesome, confident steering it now Ian?

Hey Craig, getting used to the steering now, she likes a light touch unless she's being asked to turn on the spot.

Sorry guy's your going to have to wait a little longer for an update, I need my dinner..

Terry M

VERY NICE!!! Great video too. :thumbs::bow-blue::handgestures-thumbupright: :eusa-clap:

Stigian

VERY NICE!!! Great video too. :thumbs::bow-blue::handgestures-thumbupright::eusa-clap:

Thanks Terry.. Which video? there's two on page 30 as well.

Not much has been happening on this build since the "more testing" video, partly due to waiting for grinders, cutting disc's etc turn up, I also thought it was about time I paid the garden some attention instead.

TSS14492.jpg

Of course Pete popped over for a test drive.. He soon got the knack of steering smoothly..

Some of these photos were "grabbed" from video footage, so sorry if their a bit blurred..

TSS14482.jpg

TSS14488.jpg

Now for something a little steep!!

TSS14483.jpg

Going up!!

TSS14484.jpg

A look of relief :D

TSS14485.jpg

Pete wasn't brave enough to go down forwards though!!

This is where the beast needs a skid plate at the front!

TSS14487.jpg

A happy but blurred chap... No I hadn't been at the red wine again :D

TSS14486.jpg

An "arty" through the roll bar shot.

TSS14477.jpg

The 312-8 came along for the ride as well... Just in case a rescue vehicle was needed!!

TSS14480.jpg

It was almost needed as well, while down the bottom of a rather brown field of beans and quite a way from home....

TSS14479.jpg

The right side rear chain started making crunching noises!!!

A peek inside the outrigger showed a less than healthy chain guide/tensioner and a chain that was hitting the base of the outrigger!!!

TSS14478.jpg

To cut a very slow journey short, I managed to drive the beast back very slowly with minimal chain crunching..

Back in the shack the offending chain guide :thingy: was pulled out.... Er... shouldn't it be in only one piece!!!

I didn't expect the machined down skateboard wheel to last forever, a little longer would of been nice.

As luck would have it the chain had stretched enough to be a perfect fit with a half link removed and no guides needed!

All I need to do is wait for the other three chains to stretch enough.

TSS14481.jpg

One of the little problems I need to sort out is the drive belt like to jump off once in a while..

TSS14469.jpg

Part of the problem was the WH tensioner pulley had shot bearings and twisted under the strain of things. Also the right side steering lever tends to clobber and lift the tensioner handle when pulled fully back..

Nothing a stronger spring won't solve..

It's a shame the belt had to do this to the rear trans cooling fan when it jumped off :roll:

TSS14496.jpg

Out of interest I thought I'd plonk a few bits in place to see how long the beast will be when finished..

Er... Too long to fit in one photo, so here's the rear..

TSS14490.jpg

Think you might like the front :D

TSS14491.jpg

AMC RULES

I like the "happy but blurred" shot...looks like it's a blast to operate.

bowtiebutler956

Wow! A :wh: Bull Dozer!!! :scared-eek::text-datsphatyo: Love It! :woohoo:

meadowfield

loving it ! When's the shed extension starting? :D

Jake Kuhn

Thats gonna make one awesome dozer! Great work on it! ~Jake

Staub'sLawnmower

That thing looks like a beast now!! Like the idea of putting a three point "tool carrier" on the back! The bulldozer is cool too. You could make it mount on a "trunnion" on the side of each of the track frame just like larger dozers. It will make it eazy to take on and off. Look'en good!!!!

-Will

COMMANDO6

Hey Ian! Any progress lately?

bowtiebutler956

I agree, whats up Ian? I'm not used to going this long without my 6x6 fix! :ROTF:

Stigian

I like the "happy but blurred" shot...looks like it's a blast to operate.

Howdo Craig, yep she sure is fun to drive. I'd just been giving her a workout powering up a long steep hill with no problems.. I should get some video footage of that hill, she really growls under load :D

Wow! A :wh: Bull Dozer!!! :scared-eek: Love It! :woohoo:

Hey Matt, the blade was only slid under the beast to get an idea of how a blade on the front would look... Rather good me thinks :D

loving it ! When's the shed extension starting? :D

Afternoon Mark, I'd love a shed extension but somehow I don't think our landlord would go for it... It was a battle enough to get "permission" to put the shack up in the first place!

Thats gonna make one awesome dozer! Great work on it! ~Jake

Thanks Jake, a blade would certainly add to the "I'd better get out the way" look :D

That thing looks like a beast now!! Like the idea of putting a three point "tool carrier" on the back! The bulldozer is cool too. You could make it mount on a "trunnion" on the side of each of the track frame just like larger dozers. It will make it eazy to take on and off. Look'en good!!!!

-Will

The "larger dozer look" is what I'm going for, easy "take on and off-able" would be very handy.

I agree, whats up Ian? I'm not used to going this long without my 6x6 fix! :ROTF:

Yeah, sorry Guy's. I've not been feel that great for a few weeks, running out of energy very quickly... But a little progress has been made.

Stigian

One of the job's I need to do on the beast is move the battery from it's hiding place under my left foot (when sitting on the beast of course) to somewhere it might be handy for a foot!!

With the battery here (well it was) my feet were a couple of inches higher than they would normally be sitting on a standard Raider.. A couple of inches may not sound like much, but it's enough to keep giving me cramp in both legs while driving it!!

TSS14493.jpg

So the battery will be moved to the spot where this blue plastic tray thingy is..

If I put the batt in a nice sturdy steel box it will also give me something to brace my foot against while tackling steep downhills :D

The footplate on this side will need cutting from the belt guard and lowering between the chassis rails..

TSS14494.jpg

While the 3 point was out the box I thought I'd best make a start on getting it mounted..

Lot's of bit's plonked in place so I could do some :scratchead: ing and work out what would work, and what wouldn't.

TSS14498.jpg

TSS14499.jpg

First things first though, I needed to make some mounts for the base of the rams... A bit of digging on the bench found this gudgeon pin from a KT-17 engine..

TSS14500.jpg

A perfect fit in the base of the ram :thumbs:

TSS14501.jpg

A couple of bit's of angle to make the mount out of.

TSS14502.jpg

Sorted.... Almost... They still need a trim to tidy them up.

TSS14503.jpg

A closer look.. They will be welded on when I know exactly where they need to go..

TSS14504.jpg

The top of the arm will be attached to an arm which will pivot on a rod across the back.. You can see the rod in the first two photo's.

The bearing blocks I actually made quite a while ago..

TSS971.jpg

TSS973.jpg

I just needed a way to mount them..

My first thought was to weld these plates to the frame and bolt the bearing blocks inside them...

Until I realized I wouldn't be able to remove the rod if needs be!!

TSS14506_zps0ed8d008.jpg

TSS14505_zps07366f1a.jpg

So I did it the other way around... The bearing block is in there somewhere!!! It's in need of a bit of finishing work.

This should be strong enough once bolted on the frame..

One side made, one to go..

TSS14507_zps1016e799.jpg

TSS14508_zps22db42d4.jpg

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Looking good there Mate! :handgestures-thumbupright: Nothing like Fireing up Ole Smokey and layin down some wire on a Sunday Mornin. :ychain: She's comming along quite nicely. :notworthy:

Cheers :beer: ~Duke

AMC RULES

Quite the awesome little fabricator you are Ian...can't wait to see the "hill video" too.

Hope it gets shot in the snow. :)

Staub'sLawnmower

Three point setup looks strong w/ two lift rams! Looks like it will be a real "work horse"!!!!