SPINJIM

NEW RUSTOLEUM RED PAINT COLOR

SPINJIM

Has anyone tried the Rustoleum 2X ULTRACOVER spray paint in Gloss COLONIAL RED?   I used it on the hood of my 312H, and it seems a little closer to the original color as compared to the Regal Red.  Seems a little less orange.  Also, covers and flows a  little better, but takes a little longer to dry. 

I'll be listing it for sale this weekend, along with a 48" plow blade and a good 37" RD mower deck that I got from Ed Kennell two years ago.   I'll have pictures then.  This has been my 'haul things around the yard' tractor for a couple of years, but have to downsize for a move.

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

:law-policeblue: :wwp: :law-policeblue:

• Like 2

EB-80/8inPA

***makes some popcorn***

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

Rustoleum 2X ULTRACOVER spray paint in Gloss COLONIAL RED?   I used it on the hood of my 312H, and it seems a little closer to the original color as compared to the Regal Red.  Seems a little less orange.  Also, covers and flows a  little better, but takes a little longer to dry

We've had it here in our shop. 

@JCM chose it. I'll let him answer why. 

The Rust-Oleum 2x is very good. 

Flows well.  Coverage is better than some others. Dries evenly. 

It will need a good strong 2 MONTHS to fully cure. 

It isn't as hard as a more industrial or road automotive paint in the long run. That doesn't matter to us because we only build workers for now.  

Just something to keep in mind. 

• Like 2

squonk

I would get a test piece of metal and spray it with the 2X. When the 2nd coat is still wet spray a coat of Rustoleum Chrystal Clear on it. Wait 15 minutes and spray another coat of clear. Part should be ready to handle in an hour at 70° See how it looks.

This is how I paint with Regal Red. Paint isn't worth a hill of beans if you got a tractor with soft paint all summer

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

SPINJIM
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

When the 2nd coat is still wet spray a coat of Rustoleum Chrystal Clear on it

I used the Chrystal Clear on my C-120, and it came up real nice.   Too late for the 312H that I'm doing now.  If I spray Chrystal Clear two days after the 2X Red, I suspect it would wrinkle the red.  The instructions on the Rustoleum 2X UltraCover says you can spray another coat after 48 hours, but my experience has been more like 6 months before respraying.   It's going up to 80 degrees over the next two days here, so I'm going to put it out in the sun to help the cure.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

That's why I spray the first clear while the red is still wet. Curious if it will work on the 2X like it does on the regular enamel.

• Like 3

JCM

To set the record straight I chose the color not the 2x @ebinmaine  You recommended that to me. I like the regular Regal Red for the transmissions , axle and frame etc, but not crazy about using it for the tins. If I were to paint a complete tractor I would go back to the Toro paint. It has been many years since I have used it so I would buy 1 can and experiment with it. I have never used 2x Rustoleum before.

• Like 1

JCM

Side by side. 1986  312-8 painted with Toro paint done around 2001 and a 1989 312-8 with original paint for comparison.

img20200728_11262329.jpg

• Like 2

clueless
1 hour ago, JCM said:

Side by side. 1986  312-8 painted with Toro paint done around 2001 and a 1989 312-8 with original paint for comparison.

img20200728_11262329.jpg

:text-yeahthat:If your going to repaint or touch up a 300,400 or 500 series tractor the Toro New Red spray can is the correct paint. It is quality paint but a bit expensive.

• Excellent 1

ri702bill
3 hours ago, clueless said:

but a bit expensive.

Like WHAT isn't these days....!! :scared-eek:

• Like 1

SPINJIM
13 hours ago, squonk said:

That's why I spray the first clear while the red is still wet. Curious if it will work on the 2X like it does on the regular enamel.

I had a week old test piece of metal with the 2X UltraCover.  I sprayed it with Rustoleum Crystal Clear, and the 2X wrinkled.  So much for their claim that you only have to wait 48 hours.

• Like 1

squonk
8 hours ago, SPINJIM said:

I had a week old test piece of metal with the 2X UltraCover.  I sprayed it with Rustoleum Crystal Clear, and the 2X wrinkled.  So much for their claim that you only have to wait 48 hours.

Try another piece and spray the clear with the 2x wet and see if it works.

c-series don

I have been through this before also. More than once in fact. So I called Rustoleum and actually talked to someone. They said just like @squonk said recoat while it’s still wet (within 15 minutes) or wait 48 hours or 72 hours to be safe. B.S.! I waited almost a week and it still wrinkled 😡😡 I was furious because you know right away in order to do it correctly, you are starting from scratch when that happens 😡 As far as the paint and primer all in one, I tried it in gloss black and definitely didn’t like it. To me it looked milky when it dried, not a deep glossy finish like it should be. I thought maybe I got a bad batch or something so I went somewhere else and bought some and had the same results, so I won’t be using that again. 

• Like 2

rmaynard

I am done with rattle can paints. It doesn't seem to matter what brand, Rustoleum, Krylon, or whatever, the quality is poor. Takes more paint to cover, takes longer to cure, and the price...

• Like 2

squonk

I have zero issues recoating Regal Red when wet. I'd like to see someone try the 2X with clear when wet and post the result. and when I say wet you spray the final color and immediately spray the clear. Don't let the red start to dry

And a spray gun. Unless you're doing a whole tractor or have a touch up small cup gun, you end up throwing unused paint away

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

. It doesn't seem to matter what brand, Rustoleum, Krylon, or whatever, the quality is poor. Takes more paint to cover, takes longer to cure, and the price...

Agreed on all.

The only advantage rattle cans offers to us at this point is sheer convenience.

• Like 1

rmaynard
3 minutes ago, squonk said:

I'd like to see someone try the 2X with clear when wet and post the result. 

Are you talking about applying 2K clear on top of wet alkyd paint such as Rustoleum? I can let you be the Guinee pig. I am bringing 5 cans of 2K clear gloss with me to sell at the show.

Some users have said that they applied 2K clear to Rustoleum after about 45 minutes with good results. I am very dubious of their answer. What I have found over years of failures is that ALL paints that dry by evaporation have a gas-out period which can last up to 60 days. If 2K, which cures chemically in about 30 minutes, is applied over something that has not completely gassed out, there is going to be trouble.

squonk
26 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Are you talking about applying 2K clear on top of wet alkyd paint such as Rustoleum? I can let you be the Guinee pig. I am bringing 5 cans of 2K clear gloss with me to sell at the show.

Some users have said that they applied 2K clear to Rustoleum after about 45 minutes with good results. I am very dubious of their answer. What I have found over years of failures is that ALL paints that dry by evaporation have a gas-out period which can last up to 60 days. If 2K, which cures chemically in about 30 minutes, is applied over something that has not completely gassed out, there is going to be trouble.

No. I spray Regal Red then the Regular Rustoleum Chrystal Clear enamel over it when the final color coat is still wet. I did this wheel last year

16610180712182414759788089946392.jpg.f0fb0ca7e63dfb68a3df60a416609859.jpg

What I want to know is if you can use the Regular clear over the 2K color by spraying it wet or the 2k clear over 2K color. And do it on a junk piece of metal to see what happens. The guys who already have the materials, why not get a piece of scrap and try it. I don't use 2k, don't need 2K so I'm not gonna buy any just to see if it works. But if somebody's already got the stuff why not try it and post results.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, squonk said:

The guys who already have the materials, why not get a piece of scrap and try it. I don't use 2k, don't need 2K so I'm not gonna buy any just to see if it works. But if somebody's already got the stuff why not try it and post results.

I don't have any clear coat but I have some scrap metal and plenty of 2X paint. 

I could pick up some 2X clear and have The Paint Department do some experimenting.

• Like 1

squonk
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I don't have any clear coat but I have some scrap metal and plenty of 2X paint. 

I could pick up some 2X clear and have The Paint Department do some experimenting.

Or just the regular clear. but I wouldn't spend the $$$ unless you're planning on using the clear on something else.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, squonk said:

Or just the regular clear. but I wouldn't spend the $$$ unless you're planning on using the clear on something else.

Yeah we were. 

I've considered using it on a couple hoods and wheels to see if it held up better.

• Like 1

SPINJIM

I put a second coat of the 2X UltraCover red within an hour after the first coat, while the first coat was still a little tacky, and there was no wrinkling.  I'd imagine that a coat of Chrystal Clear within an hour would have the same result.  The seat fender on this 312H is Regal Red.  The hood is 2X Colonial Red.   I like the hood color better.

IMG_0387.JPG

Edited by SPINJIM

Racinbob

It states right on the can to recoat within one hour or after 48. I have used Rusty Regal red for years And found that one hour is too long and 48 nowheres nearly long enough. I use the @squonk method recoating before the previous coat it dry, within 10 minutes depending on the conditions. The difference is that I haven't used the clear. No problems with wrinkles or getting a shine.

1093665628_SubHood012616a.JPG.50689cd79b0ad7512a61451aee476c7f.JPG

I do like the idea of using clear. The next time I get to town I'm going to get a can of the clear and the 2x. I have some regular Regal. It's time to experiment. One thing is for sure though. While the durability of the finish will never be like a spray gun and hardener I find it acceptable after some time. I'm talking weeks, not days. Mike, do you think the clear adds any durability to the finish or? 

• Like 2

squonk
33 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

It states right on the can to recoat within one hour or after 48. I have used Rusty Regal red for years And found that one hour is too long and 48 nowheres nearly long enough. I use the @squonk method recoating before the previous coat it dry, within 10 minutes depending on the conditions. The difference is that I haven't used the clear. No problems with wrinkles or getting a shine.

1093665628_SubHood012616a.JPG.50689cd79b0ad7512a61451aee476c7f.JPG

I do like the idea of using clear. The next time I get to town I'm going to get a can of the clear and the 2x. I have some regular Regal. It's time to experiment. One thing is for sure though. While the durability of the finish will never be like a spray gun and hardener I find it acceptable after some time. I'm talking weeks, not days. Mike, do you think the clear adds any durability to the finish or? 

As far as I can tell it adds a lot to the durability.

• Like 1