formariz

Two year(?) deck coating update

rmaynard

Looks great. Refresh my memory. Did you do anything special to the deck prior to applying the coating? 

Edited by rmaynard

squonk

I got 5 or 6 years on this recycler deck and insert. I use Rustoleum bed liner spray. I have to touch up a spot or 2 every year but it seems to work well.

rd3.JPG.91675b201a8935d28c60c82273d19fac.JPG

rd5.jpg.30212901d819218c347e94651dc10a64.jpg

• Like 3

formariz
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Looks great. Refresh my memory. Did you do anything special to the deck prior to applying the coating? 

Just cleaned the whole underside with a descaler and brushed on one coat of the stuff. However as per instructions on can one can just paint over rust and it stops it .

formariz
3 hours ago, squonk said:

I have to touch up a spot or 2 every year

Are those the red spots?

squonk
14 minutes ago, formariz said:

Are those the red spots?

Yes.

Brockport Bill

i have done about a dozen mowers cleaning, rehabbing, reconditioning  -- i have used various cover products - - typically two primer coats first, then either 2 coats paint - or even truck bedliner. The most important step to me has been to clean the underneath down to clean, bare metal -- most of the time i take mower deck to a commercial sand blaster who makes surface spotless of any rust corrosion or residue of any kind --  there have been a few i have cleaned by hand with combo of 90 degree angle grinder with special discs -- mini Ingersol Rand air compressor grinder - or various wire wheel tools on hand drill, etc -  or a scaler  - and of course a pressure washer. But the key has always been to get  perfectly clean of all prior rust corrosion -- hopefully these decks will get another 20 yrs -- but as we know the key to any mower longevity is the day to day maintenance of cleaning the grass from underneah regularly to prevent the corrion and rot in the fist place.

wh 48 sd mower overhead bottom.jpg

wh 37 deck rehab bottom.jpg

Deck underneath blast and paint.jpg

wh 257h  mower bottom.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@formariz  never store or put away my decks , without a hot sun dry out , then a lubrication soaking , in same sun , grease spindles , fine file the blades , verify rotational  movement ease / quiet .  combo has been the deal for  reliable / quiet deck usage , pete