WheelHorseVH

Any Horse Painters?

WheelHorseVH

I bought a set of brand new decals for my 96 520h that has peeling ones now. Only problem is the decals @Vinylguy makes are too damn nice to waste on anything less than a fresh paint job, IMO. I would love to get a 2 stage on just the sheet metal but I don’t have the tools. I am also afraid I would get laughed at by most autoshops for asking. 

So my question is does anyone know of someone trustworthy in the northeast, near or in CT that takes on jobs like this? I would obviously bring them just the sheet metal to make it easy on them. Ideally its a member here that you all know and trust but open to ideas. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

@stevebo isn’t far from you.  He taught me how to wet sand and buff an old paint job into looking brand new.  It might be worth firing a PM to him, for any ideas or thoughts.  

Pictures always help…

• Like 1

oliver2-44

Since your doing all the sheet metal you might consider getting it blasted and power coated.

mrc

hi vischal,

i'll ask my buddy mark if he has time to do your paint work.  you saw what he did on mine.  he recently retired but, the guys at the legion keep him sooo  busy.

regards

mike

• Like 1

WheelHorseVH

Hey Mike, I thought about your guy first since I saw what a great job he did with your machines but I remember how busy you said he was. Please do PM me and let me know if he has time. 

Thanks for the suggestions on both, @Pullstart and @oliver2-44. I like wet sanding but didn’t think it was possible on this type of paint.

I am looking for pictures that are close up but will need to go take more. The ones I have are from too far away so it looks perfect lol. But attached them for you anyway.

717C265A-8F63-477F-BF6B-B7AAAA9A1754.jpeg

A3C24171-7B98-4D2E-AF3A-D7E9C2CD40C7.jpeg

C7B3DD5A-F82C-47F2-8427-D8D65169D635.jpeg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@AMC RULES may be able to throw in a hint or two here as well.  

That looks far better than some of the older paint I've seen saved.  

I'd be more prone to try saving your red paint and repainting the satin black there.  

Do you have any tech schools or hotrod clubs down there?

WheelHorseVH

I agree the paint is definitely not bad but I may be a bit of a perfectionist, especially when I’m about to put the new decals on. 

When you say satin black you mean on the grill? Or all of the back panel parts in general?

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, WheelHorseVH said:

When you say satin black you mean on the grill? Or all of the back panel parts in general?

I'm not sure how they came out of the factory so somebody else might want to answer for you.

@JCM can you explain what sheen of black goes where?

JCM

I have used Gloss, Semi- Gloss, Satin and Flat over the course of 30 + years. The only black that I used which looked correct is the WH cans from the dealers IMHO. This 89  312-8 was painted roughly around 2001. I do not believe I painted the K-Series Kohler. The Kohler KT- Series 2 is flat black which I don't think looks correct on this chaff screen in comparison to the original black on the twin engine tins. The red on the 312 was the Toro new red which I think looks correct compared to Rust Oleum Regal or Sunrise Red .And the debate continues.

img20200728_11205894.jpg

img20200728_11244120.jpg

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

• Excellent 2

mrc

hi vischal,

mark said ok.

contact me via pm

• Excellent 1