Keithwidney

Wood chipper

Keithwidney

I bought a small trailered DR power wood chipper that had a Briggs and Stratton 8hp. WhenI bought it I knew it wasn’t running, motor rolled over fine and didn’t pay to much attention to it. I figured I have fixed lots of small engines , shouldn’t be a problem. Got it home and realized it rolled over a little too easy . It has a Grenaded piston rod . I can possibly rebuild it but was thinking I can make an adapter plate to mount to the front of my tractor and run it off the pto . What are your opinions? 

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Absolutely CAN be done.

Several of us have Mackissic chipper shredder machines as implements on our own tractors already. 

With the right adaptations yours should be able to be done. 

• Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:

Some pictures would be helpful in figuring out the best approach but there should be no problem driving a chipper with a Wheel Horse. 

• Like 2

Keithwidney

6974996B-AB5B-45B7-86CB-D4749D6DE215.jpeg

555E9FFC-3C69-4EB3-87A2-EA8004A3F604.jpeg

• Like 3

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Several of us have Mackissic chipper shredder machines as implements on our own tractors already. 

Does yours have the separate branch chipper feed tube or only the top feed?

• Like 1

Handy Don
18 minutes ago, Keithwidney said:

6974996B-AB5B-45B7-86CB-D4749D6DE215.jpeg

As long as you get the direction and speed of the rotation correct, it should be straightforward to power that off a WH PTO.

You could choose to have it hang on the tractor or else stay on its wheels and lock up against the tractor to keep the belt taut.

Chipping can be tough on engines, though, (hence the blown B&S). Using a longish belt with a spring tensioner that can slip before stalling it out helps protect the engine.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Does yours have the separate branch chipper feed tube or only the top feed?

Both inputs. 

The branch input on the side will accept up to a 3" piece.   

• Thanks 1

Keithwidney

It just has the one feed shoot from the top. 
i figured that may have been what caused the shattered rod. There was evidence that the belt slipped and the pulleys burned trough it .  The previous owner probably tried to force feed something and stopped it in its tracks . 
the Briggs had a clutch on it, not sure if that was what was supposed to allow slipping in case of a bind . 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
22 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Chipping can be tough on engines, though, (hence the blown B&S). Using a longish belt with a spring tensioner that can slip before stalling it out helps protect the engine.

5 minutes ago, Keithwidney said:

It just has the one feed shoot from the top. 
i figured that may have been what caused the shattered rod. There was evidence that the belt slipped and the pulleys burned trough it .  The previous owner probably tried to force feed something and stopped it in its tracks . 
the Briggs had a clutch on it, not sure if that was what was supposed to allow slipping in case of a bind . 

Mine is powered by a 16 HP Kohler single.

I've never even come close to stopping this thing and I've put some reasonably substantial wood through this Mackissic. 

That said, I do keep the belt a little on the loose side on purpose.

What kind of an engine will you be repowering this with or running off pto?

Keithwidney

I would like to use the pto if not I will probably get a cheapie from harbor freight. I haven’t opened the case on the Briggs to see if it’s rebuildable 

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, Keithwidney said:

I would like to use the pto if not I will probably get a cheapie from harbor freight. I haven’t opened the case on the Briggs to see if it’s rebuildable 

What size is the Wheel Horse that you would like to use?

Keithwidney

14 hp kihler on a c-145

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Keithwidney said:

14 hp kihler on a c-145

Given good connection I think you would be more than happy with that. I don't run my 16 at full RPM so it would be pretty comparable to your 14 if you ran yours at 3600 RPM.

Be a great idea for you to check rated horsepower of your chipper.

Even if the 14 yes a little on the high side, I still do it. Be more adamant about building in belt slippage or a clutch situation.

Blasterdad

Check out this thread....:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

formariz
1 hour ago, Blasterdad said:

Check out this thread....:thumbs:

We have now used the chipper a few times. Let me just say that coupled with the 12HP Kohler this thing is unstoppable. The height is perfect and the clearance underneath for the chips also a great improvement.One has also the ability to slow it down if needed by adjusting the throttle. Then when done the fact that one can just drive the tractor into its usual parking area without struggling with an unyielding chipper is absolutely great. As an added bonus he now uses this tractor to pull the trailer filled with firewood around. The extra weight in front fixed all the steering problems he had before. Before we used to accumulate stuff to be shredded into a big pile until we felt like doing it. Now everything is immediately disposed of keeping the place better maintained. It is so convenient and so much fun to use that grand kids are always asking if anything needs to be shredded.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
On 3/31/2023 at 7:17 AM, Keithwidney said:

thinking I can make an adapter plate to mount to the front of my tractor and run it off the pto

Any updates? 

peter lena

@Keithwidney agree with others on the options / possibilities, think the rotational mass , should be run on a heavier bearings , with correct  hi temp / stress  grease  . the easier you make that main function , the easier it works . would also use a closed loop spring for tension , to contain it , if its needed. always marveled at a gravely set up , their  baseline was incredible strength and gearing . don't  be afraid to  over build any stage , greasy pete

gwest_ca

That chipper looks to be the same as a Mighty-mac without a shredder.

Do you know the DR model number?

3 screws holding the knife on?

• Like 1

Keithwidney

I purchased a harbor freight 8hp . I would rather wreck that engine than my Kohler.