SylvanLakeWH

Snow Blade Winch Lift

Pullstart

The snow plow for the Senior has a series of pulleys to lift from the front, via energy at the rear.  If you have cable enough and I ASSUME you do, you can mount the winch anywhere if that becomes in the way..

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

How does this effect downward pressure? I always figured that a cable system to lift the blade would allow the blade to ride up.  

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

How does this effect downward pressure? I always figured that a cable system to lift the blade would allow the blade to ride up.  

I don't use / have down pressure. I don't use a solid link and I have not had any issues on the 3 concrete drives I plow...

I haven't used it yet to plow but it should have no impact.

I'm still working out wires, switch placement etc.

16 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

The snow plow for the Senior has a series of pulleys to lift from the front, via energy at the rear.  If you have cable enough and I ASSUME you do, you can mount the winch anywhere if that becomes in the way..

It seems to have adequate lift. I wanted it on the 2" receiver plate so I can move it around easily... I just put an eyebolt in the bottom of the plow and hook onto that... works pretty well...

• Like 2

c-series don

@SylvanLakeWHThis might be a dumb question but can that tractor but can that tractor be converted to electric lift? 

• Thanks 1

CCW

Blade lifting is one of the things I had in mind when mounting my winch.

Winch bracket.jpg

• Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

@SylvanLakeWHThis might be a dumb question but can that tractor but can that tractor be converted to electric lift? 

I don't know... Never any experience with them... I go with what's in my garage "inventory "... and i don't have one of those... It's just an 12 v connection so i don't see why not... Anyone know? How about some pics if so...

I have this one hooked up to my auxiliary horn / lights battery... so it's not stealing power from my three drive batteries...

I have 2 E-141's...so could do one of each...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 3

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH looks interesting , get some cable lubricant in that cable . every time it flexes it will pull in the lube , stopping rust and keeping the cable supple . pete

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@SylvanLakeWH looks interesting , get some cable lubricant in that cable . every time it flexes it will pull in the lube , stopping rust and keeping the cable supple . pete

Great suggestion! Recommendation on type / brand?

I use WD 40 on my power drain snake cable, but that is to 1) displace the water and 2) it's stored in a dry basement...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

peter lena

@SylvanLakeWH  did a lot of winch maintenance  in the N G , always drew them out full length . and did the cable lubrication soak  down as it was pulling the truck forward as the cable wound itself on it was twisting in the lubrication . also did related pulleys , connection points . pete  

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
17 minutes ago, Achto said:

Maybe you could add a 12v linear actuator to the rock shaft.

https://www.amazon.com/linear-actuator-12v/s?k=linear+actuator+12v

Hhhmmm... aren't those for the rear implements? or will they work for the front blade...? if so, how? 

Achto
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

will they work for the front blade...? if so, how? 

Would have to hook it to the rock shaft (the same one that the lift handle moves) 

Not the best pic but the actuator would basically do the same job as the hydraulic ram on my Raider. 

IMG_20180331_171221749-min.jpg.f00418287fb3f893cb9a2e2fc056b959.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

I see...

Might look at that for E-141 number 2...

The winch on a 2" hitch appealed to me because 1) i had it and 2) it can be used elsewhere easily...

I do like the fit of the actuator though... looks slick...!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

c-series don
18 minutes ago, Achto said:

Would have to hook it to the rock shaft (the same one that the lift handle moves) 

That’s what I’m talking about, like the one that came factory on a 418-8. Hooks to the rock shaft and does the same thing any hydraulic or manual lift would do. 

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Excellent work here Jim.  

On that linear actuator, as long as the actuator has NO direct contact with the plow it would work great.  

The lift section would need to be a chain/cable  NOT a solid link.  

The actuators, for the most part, aren't made to take the sudden strains of a working plow.  

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 3

Ed Kennell

Hey Jim,  Feel I should share a problem I found years ago when I mounted a wheel horse plow on my Yammy 4 wheeler.

I used a RC  HF winch to lift the plow and was not able to control the winch overrun and broke a few eyebolts before I installed a heave spring in the lift cable.

You can also see a lever that pulls the blade locking pin when the plow is raised allowing the blade angle to be changed.

IMG_1992.JPG.16a56cd2d273e66ac9542ec7f7d045eb.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

wallfish
11 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

if so, how?

9438781191_087bb95a0c_z.jpg

Without a doubt you should use a spring like Ed posted for the link to the plow frame when using a winch

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@Achto  @SylvanLakeWH @ebinmaine  like those actuators , if I  were to use one , would consider a seperate , bracket to secure its pull , as well as a chain link set up . @Ed Kennell has the right spring set up , let that take the sudden pick up , at a much softer rate , avoiding stress shock. not having an electrical lift , have experimented a lot with  spring balance point . glad to see you guys looking for a better way  to do  a regular function , better watch out , you are heading into my trend of thought , going rogue , pete

2 ACHTO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
14 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

The Popeye Arm is getting old and stiff 

Everyone realizes the value of a hydro and hydo lift....Some of the tougher operators just take longer.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish

The old school type connected to the rear axle trans support.

4A9412A9-AEC8-44F5-99D6-48B07834042A.jpeg.13a67011822624d8a8212384936e4de8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@wallfish  been experimenting with springs for a long time , this  is just about right for me , probably cuts lift wt in half , still allows for self plowing , without arm assist . pete

@Achto  @SylvanLakeWH @ebinmaine  like those actuators , if I  were to use one , would consider a seperate , bracket to secure its pull , as well as a chain link set up . @Ed Kennell has the right spring set up , let that take the sudden pick up , at a much softer rate , avoiding stress shock. not having an electrical lift , have experimented a lot with  spring balance point . glad to see you guys looking for a better way  to do  a regular function , better watch out , you are heading into my trend of thought , going rogue , pete

2 ACHTO

• Like 2

c-series don

@ebinmaineEric that’s a good point you bring up about the shock load on a linear actuator, I never thought of that! 

@wallfish looks like that actuator is on a C-series? I have one of those and never installed it thinking it was for a late sixties tractor? 
Is that just for the rear implements or does it somehow work with the rock shaft? Do you have anymore pictures? Sorry for all the questions, too much coffee this morning and now I want to go install this actuator on one of my C-series!!!! Thx 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wallfish
7 minutes ago, c-series don said:

@ebinmaineEric that’s a good point you bring up about the shock load on a linear actuator, I never thought of that! 

@wallfish looks like that actuator is on a C-series? I have one of those and never installed it thinking it was for a late sixties tractor? 
Is that just for the rear implements or does it somehow work with the rock shaft? Do you have anymore pictures? Sorry for all the questions, too much coffee this morning and now I want to go install this actuator on one of my C-series!!!! Thx 

That's a pic off the net. BUT .. They connect to the rock shaft and are used just like a hydraulic ram. The rock shaft has an arm attached instead of a handle.

The rock shaft part was part of the kit that swapped with the handle but making one from a handle type isn't too difficult. Basically cut off the handle and weld on a piece of flat stock with holes to connect the actuator. I might have that factory piece here to get some pics if we can't find any on the net

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2