Sutty

RPM meter

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, TractorEd said:

Both the Kohler engines I’m testing are cam driven K Series engines with points.  So they should both spark every other revolution, but the tach says it ain’t so on one of them.

:techie-reference:

Use the setting that gives the most logical reading.  Wide open at 1600 or 7200 obviously wouldn't make sense, you find a setting that shows around 3600 wide open and it sounds right...thats the one

Sutty

Very odd then, but as you can see by the initial lack of knowledge, from the thread above, there's obviously nothing I can offer here.

Successful visit and test for me, though a disappointing result. Suzuki ATV forum confirmed that if I had it idling nicely, not stalling out, and not lurching, at all, when selecting a gear, because the clutch is automatic, then the idle will most likely be between 12 to 1500 rpm and this is how mine behaves. Lower and it won't sound stable, and higher, and it will be grabby, of which it is neither. This info meant that I could be sure I wasn't a half or double reading when I got there, if I got anything like 1200 or so.

My meter was set in advance to 1P1R, as per their instructions, on the basis of wasted spark ignition, and on arrival, after letting it warm up, as soon as I set the meter going I got an rpm of 1460.

Bingo, happy as Larry, lol. With this as my baseline, I could now rev it to the desired revs for the electrical test, which sadly it failed. I'd half expected it would, based on prior symptoms, but at least this confirmed it.

Thank you for helping me use my Wheel Horse as a test bed, so that I could be completely ready before going. No time was wasted during my trip, because everything was set up and planned in advance.

Cheers

Sutty

Edited by Sutty
  • Like 1