Sparky

Cut the cord!

pfrederi

Good luck with Frontier.  They are the provider for most the rest of our county and the next county over.Two state representatives have filed a formal complaint with the PUC about the terrible service and price gouging by Frontier...  They had come in a few years ago bought out the small local phone companies. then, when they had control poor service and higher prices...

They did this in NY a few years ago ..bought out Taconic  Tel (The one my brother used) then same thing crappy service higher prices ...Seems to be their business model

Edited by pfrederi
  • Sad 2

Sparky
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Good luck with Frontier.  They had come in a few years ago bought out the small local phone companies. then, when they had control poor service and higher prices...

Im hoping they provide good service…as long as it’s operating (internet) I shouldn’t have to deal with them for anything. We almost never interacted with our last provider except at the end when we were trying to cut costs. 
  Luckily they aren’t the “only game in town” and they have not bought out anyone here where I live. So no monopoly, I have options if Frontier starts to suck so to speak. 

• Like 3

cafoose

I got fiber in Tennessee for internet at around $100 a month. I also got firestick on several TVs and get anything I want to watch for free. I'm considering Starlink in the future. https://www.starlink.com/ My neighbor has it and it's fast and simple to set up with coverage just about anywhere. Also considering this for my phone https://www.visible.com/

• Like 1

Handy Don
20 hours ago, Rob J. said:

outdoor antennas are superior but an indoor would be so much more convenient to install. We’ll keep the cable internet cause any other option, well it’s not really an option where I live. Any suggestions are welcome. 

I admit to being something of a technology person. Bought our first personal computer around 1981 for the cost of a small car.

We switched to FIOS a couple of years ago for internet and telephone (keeping the old copper landline number alive). We never had cable and still don’t have it from FIOS. We rarely watch television so streaming is really only movies. Verizon FIOS lets you cell connect via WiFi to your internet router for calls--marvelous. During power outages, we have 2+ bars of regular service.

We’ve long had a roof-mounted, high gain antenna and, since TV switched to digital signals, we now get over 30 channels (yeah, that’s what being in a metro area with near line-of-sight to the transmitters gets you) so if I want a hysteria-riven weather or news report or just an old movie or to shop HSN I can easily do that. 

I have a smart TV but it is is NOT connected to the internet--I believe that the companies behind them are too good at gathering data and selling any bit of information they can harvest from its use (including audio input from internal microphones used for voice control). I stream movies by screen mirroring from my tablet--which I otherwise use for reading downloaded books. The tablet does not have my contact list and doesn’t have an email app either so those cannot be scanned.

• Like 1

cafoose
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Verizon FIOS lets you cell connect via WiFi to your internet router for calls

Here in the mountains of Tennessee the only choice I have, unless I go near a larger town or city, is WiFi calling on my cell. I get no service too far away from my WiFi signal. However, it's peaceful and quiet here and I can't see my neighbors from my house. :banana-dance:

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

6wheeler

We can only get FRONTIER here. And? They are the absolute WORSE provider EVER. PERIOD. Across the gravel road here is a different township (Castle Rock). They have a different internet provider which is very fast. Reasonable. And? Has great customer service. According to my neighbor. However? On the West side of the road. Which is Eureka. Which is totally controlled by Lakeville/Frontier? We get no service. Call them with an issue? We will get someone out there. And? You need to be available next Thursday from 12pm until 545 pm. Unless we need to re-schedule. Thank You for being a Frontier Customer. NOT Any more. We now use our Tmobile service. Very fast. And? some streaming channels my wife picked. All for less than half of Frontiers " Maybe we will service you if we want" Plan. T mobile and Verizon both offer this service. Well worth looking into IMO.

• Like 2

953 nut

We had Verizon landline and so-so internet when we first moved here and then Frontier bought them out  and as others have said the service degraded and the prices went up to the point that ViaSat internet was a reasonable alternative. As long as there isn't a major  storm south of us it works great. Our area is rather sparsely populated so we will probably never have cable internet but if that is the price I need to pay for solitude and privacy I'm doing just fine.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

Lee1977

I turned the ringer off on my land line a couple of years ago. I guessed I wouldn't save anything by getting rid of it as iy's tied in with my enternet.  I can still used it to call out if my sell is dead.

TractorEd

The wife and I were blessed to get gigabit FTTH a couple, maybe even 3, years ago.  $89/mo for life (lol, until they start offering 5 or 10 G a month).  This posting and responses have pushed us to finally drop our satellite TV and sign up for the tube tv.  We hope too anyway.  Tube only has a 2 day trial and to make the most of that, we’ll sign up for that tomorrow afternoon and try it out.  If it is all it’s cracked up to be then we def will.

That should cut our TV programming cost by more than half.  Ditched the land lines last year; only use cell phones and have Wi-Fi calling on them (att).

Thanks to all!

• Like 1

Sparky
2 hours ago, TractorEd said:

This posting and responses have pushed us to finally drop our satellite TV and sign up for the tube tv.  We hope too anyway.  Tube only has a 2 day trial and to make the most of that, we’ll sign up for that tomorrow afternoon and try it out.  If it is all it’s cracked up to be then we def will.

The YouTube TV app is a bit pricey compared to most. But being able to store or save an unlimited amount of shows for up to 9 months AND getting our local stations makes it worthwhile in my eyes. 

• Like 2

rmaynard

I'm digging up and old thread here, so here we go again. 

Is anyone using vSeeBox?