Sparky

Cut the cord!

ebinmaine

Good call Mike. 

:hide:

I haven't had a land line for at least a decade. No cable either. 

A few years ago Trina ordered internet for her work-from-home usage.  

We do enjoy the capability of watching dozens of movies at a moments notice.  

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

My experience - Where Comcast has competition they are not competitive... 

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 4

Sparky
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

:eusa-clap:

My experience - Where Comcast has competition they are not competitive... 

:twocents-twocents:

Yep!

Up until this summer when the new Frontier Fiber came thru Comcast was the only game in town. 
  I expect Comcast to start making all sorts of offers soon (that I will ignore) 

• Like 3

953 nut

:handgestures-thumbupright:            Wish we had those options. Competition is a good thing but somehow they all seem to jack the price up once the have you hooked up.

We live in the mountains and have one internet satellite service and one satellite TV service that isn't blocked by the surrounding mountains. If the weather is bad none of them work. Gave up the land line several years ago and our cell phone coverage is a bit iffy, some days you get two bars and on other days you need to go out to the driveway, most days its best on the front porch. As with everything these days the prices have gone up on all of them.  :sad-darkcloud:

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

WHX??
14 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

ZING !!

Just sayin Bill ... @19richie66...

AA53CA52-E8EE-4B92-A9EC-8F45EE6AC6C8.jpeg.98bc3db4e0d3442b78bedaf4e172d47b.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 5

Sparky
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:handgestures-thumbupright:            Wish we had those options. Competition is a good thing but somehow they all seem to jack the price up once the have you hooked up.

Gave up the land line several years ago and our cell phone coverage is a bit iffy, 

So this internet deal we signed on for is guaranteed to be $59.99 for 36 months. After that who knows. Might be shopping for something new in 3 years. 
  Our cell service is ok, never less than 2 bars so calling out is never an issue. 

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

A Haiku

Molasses be slow

Colossus be v e r y slow

BBT please help

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

ri702bill
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Just sayin Bill ... @19richie66...

No more calls folks, we have ourselves a Grand Prize Winner  !!

• Like 2

pacer

Familiar..... I was on ATT for land line, cell, and internet (net was awful) for right at $200. Had Direct TV for some $180 --- cut both those and got Tboone net for net at $50 (Waaay better) and Visage for cell at $35. ROKU for TV .... not too sure yet , to new to get a handle on cost, can see its gonna be way better than Direct.

I think I'm saving around $175-200 month ..... YAY!!!!

• Like 7

WHX??
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

most days its best on the front porch.

Same here Richard... if I go out to pee off the porch I hold it in one hand, phone under the cheek, hold out the other hand... @Achto says the call lasts more than 3 minutes I'm playin  with it... the phone you :occasion-clown: :occasion-clown:!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

953 nut
5 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

phone under the cheek,

:confusion-confused:                 Are you telling me you are sitting on your phone?                   :ychain:

• Haha 9

ebinmaine

:ROTF:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH
16 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Same here Richard... if I go out to pee off the porch I hold it in one hand, phone under the cheek, hold out the other hand... @Achto says the call lasts more than 3 minutes I'm playin  with it... the phone you :occasion-clown: :occasion-clown:!!!

9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:                 Are you telling me you are sitting on your phone?                   :ychain:

Oh man...

Just...

My Eyes...

The visuals...

Stop!!'

:scared-eek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

mrc

i too tried to negotiate with comcast.  no luck.  when i handed in all my gear a few years back there was a line of people doing the same. the poor clerk was a nice young gal who did her best to listen to all the griping and still smile.   IMO comcast had all these packages with hundreds of channels that i did not care for.  you could not get 'a la carte' so to speak.

luckily, our municipal gas and electric company expanded into fiber and went around stringing the cable.  i saved money.  my wife still hates the streaming thing and yes it takes an extra minute or two.  i tell her she is retired so what is time to her!  LOL!

• Like 4

Rob J.
3 hours ago, Sparky said:

We have had the Comcast internet/phone/cable tv bundle for years. It crept up to $296 a month!!

Watched Frontier contractors run a new fiber service down my street, once it was done they started making offers to get folks to sign up. Eventually the deal sweetened to $60 a month for their top tier fiber internet, a $200 VISA gift card and $10 a month off a YouTube TV subscription. It was a tough decision to make the swap since it’s so easy to use what we had, learning to use apps to watch anything was a tough learning curve for the wife and I. We are getting much better at it!

So with this new internet and the 2 or 3 apps we subscribe to we are right around $140 a month. 
  We did try to cut the bill with Comcast, asked about dropping the landline since we didn’t use it and we were told that the monthly price would increase!! Any cost savings they offered up always included cutting back on channels or services. 
  YouTube TV is an expensive app but it allows unlimited “recording” of shows and will store them for up to 9 months. We always record the NASCAR races and watch em later for example. It also has all our local stations showing in live time. 
  And now that the land line is gone I don’t have to listen to that phone ringing 26 times a day with telemarketers, political recorded messages and general scammy stuff :rolleyes:

Anyone need a good used phone?? :lol:

D116B31B-03AF-4044-B9C2-99E8F3CF125A.jpeg

We’re in the process of doing the same thing. Trying to decide which antenna I get. I believe the outdoor antennas are superior but an indoor would be so much more convenient to install. We’ll keep the cable internet cause any other option, well it’s not really an option where I live. Any suggestions are welcome. 

Sparky
6 minutes ago, Rob J. said:

We’re in the process of doing the same thing. Trying to decide which antenna I get. I believe the outdoor antennas are superior but an indoor would be so much more convenient to install. We’ll keep the cable internet cause any other option, well it’s not really an option where I live. Any suggestions are welcome. 

Is your TV a smart TV? The antenna will get you a few local stations, but a smart TV connected to your home wifi would allow you to load a few apps for streaming. Or get a Firestick and put a few apps on it. 
  My plan was to install a roof antenna but the YouTube TV app gives me the local stations. 

• Like 2

Rob J.
2 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Is your TV a smart TV? The antenna will get you a few local stations, but a smart TV connected to your home wifi would allow you to load a few apps for streaming. Or get a Firestick and put a few apps on it. 
  My plan was to install a roof antenna but the YouTube TV app gives me the local stations. 

Yeah we have the smart tv and plan to stream from time to time. That’s one of the reasons for keeping just the cable internet and our cell phones but everything else is gone. I just want a good selection of free stations and I’m thinking the outdoor antenna will have to be the way to go being rural as I am. 

oliver2-44

We dropped cable TV about 3 years ago and put up an outside stick antenna. Usually can get one of the 3 local station for news 60-80 miles in various directions. My techie son has an app on his phone that helps optimize antenna direction.   We have Verizon cell and pay too much, but their the best 2-3 bar service around here. Still have Cable internet and pay too much for it too. With the granite and dolomite limestone rock in the ground around here fiber is only being put in town or larger subdivisions. We use Wi-Fi Roku for streaming.  The rest of my family live in black dirt country around the farm and now all have rural fiber. 

Blasterdad
17 hours ago, Rob J. said:

Any suggestions are welcome. 

I wouldn't mind this...Would love it actually....( & Eva Gabor too ). :ROTF:

image.jpeg.6acdfec0a686998d628d51b631ee5128.jpeg

Edited by Blasterdad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Pullstart

I read the title and went right to Shinedown :lol:

• Like 1

squonk

We haven't had a land line since @WHX?? was peddlin ceiling fans and ice boxes. We have Consumer Cellular for the phones and a local broad band company started up like 3 years ago and one of their antenna's is up on the Chim-blee. Bought a reman antenna for the tv and it's about 10 feet above the roof of my house. I stream every Packer game on the puter and cast it to the TV. I also have the XM app and can listen to just about anything on the phone if I'm working outside. 

• Like 2