John2189

C165

John2189
3 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Eric, I want to put my 2¢ in on the engine RPM. There's a lot of splishing and splashing going on even at idle. Think about how many times a second that dipper is grabbing oil. Plenty to keep things lubricated and plenty of air movement too. Back in the 60's and 70's my Dad would pull the kids, little and big, with his one lung Kohler. His property had some hills and he would chug up and down just barely above idle. Sometimes it seemed like a challenge to him to see how much he could pull before he had to rev is up a bit. Sometimes he killed it before he could get her revved. He did that for many many years until I took over and do the same. Never had an issue. I'm not suggesting doing that but I am saying that I simply don't buy into the 'must run at high RPM' crowd. 

I think the running at full throttle is more for cooling the engine 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, John2189 said:

I think the running at FULL THROTTLE is more for cooling the engine 

The only reason I'd run an engine at full throttle is either a Hydro/Automatic transmission all the time so it's getting the transmission the power AND cooling it needs.  

Or...

On a manual transmission tractor for running implements or pulling heavy. 

Even the pulling heavy would be marginal to me. 

I have the K341 on my Cinnamon Horse 1974 C160 8 speed set to 3300 RPM max. 

That's likely around 14 HP and it does perfectly fine for all I do.  

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

@Jeff-C175  I think (?)  has, or has mentioned,  a generator that uses a Kohler 12 which runs at 1800.

Yes, I have two of them in fact, Homelite/Textron 3600W. 1980 vintage.

1800 RPM seems barely above idle when you hear it!

• Thanks 1

Racinbob
21 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The only reason I'd run an engine at full throttle is either a Hydro/Automatic transmission all the time so it's getting the transmission the power AND cooling it needs.  

Or...

On a manual transmission tractor for running implements or pulling heavy. 

Even the pulling heavy would be marginal to me. 

I have the K341 on my Cinnamon Horse 1974 C160 8 speed set to 3300 RPM max. 

That's likely around 14 HP and it does perfectly fine for all I do.  

Perzackly. Hydros and most PTO driven attachments. I have to exclude my sickle bar mower. I think it would part ways with the tractor if I tried it. :)

• Like 1

peter lena

@John2189 agree with you on that , have always  felt / listened to my  mechanical anything , like to be running where it seams  effortless in its operation  ,  been  doing that  40 years .  can also appreciate the cooling issue , regularly  clean off my  engine  cooling intake  and look around for  any related issues .  have often stated  a  running rease  on my stuff ,  always looking for  anything related to  not working with ease . pete

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 1/19/2023 at 9:47 PM, John2189 said:

I have a c165.  I know the 16 is the horse power, but what does the 5 stand for?  

the same for my 656

john

The  xx1's were 1978 and 1979 models. The xx5's were 1980, 1981, 1982, and 1983 models, They all had the shaker plate engine mount and the gas tank under the rear fender.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Perzackly

@carscape

Here's another interesting slice hunk chunk section of new and different vernacular for you.   

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Haha 1