bc.gold

Milwaukee M18 Hackzall

bc.gold

Milwaukee M18 Fuel Hackzall needs a doctor.

Removing the gear to replace the broken drive pin is a PITA and the bearing still has to be removed to drive out whats left of the pin.

Read this carefully, the gear did not have to be removed, as you can see the manufacture has anticipated this pin failure and has conveniently provided a pair of extra holes.

Yea grind the old pin flat to the face of the gear then install the new pin in a vacant hole. Your back in business.

Three strikes your done, you'll have to remove the gear and bearing to clear the holes for another round.

The screws are a treat, I found that you have to push upwards on the bearing to keep the height of the counterweight above the screw heads. But as you can see this was totally unnecessary to remove the gear.

In my next yard sale, all my Milwaukee junk will be on the bargain table.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

4.jpg

bc.gold

The lubricant a sticky almost dry graphite compound does not perform well in sub zero weather. I believe this to be the cause of the drive pin failure.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Drive pin is NA from Milwaukee but the drive roller is.

The cure.

Drill Rod is a round metal bar stock made from tool steel that has been ground and polished to tight tolerances. It is generally supplied unhardened and is therefore readily machine workable making it an ideal product to use to manufacture tools.

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 2

bc.gold

Stopped in at the Milwaukee warranty depot in Brandon MB, was informed I would have to purchase the whole gear case and that i would be better off economically too purchase a new Hackzall. I asked if the pin wearing out was a common problem, yes he replied.

Next stop Princes Auto our Canadian version of Harbour Freight, purchased some small zip cut off wheels for the Dremal these will be used to trim the drill rod I plan to use to replace the worn out pin.

I addition will pack the gear case with a better lubricant, make a gasket and put everything back together.

The Hackzall has less than 50 hours on it, have other Milwaukee M18 tools, multiple chargers and battery's so I'm not about to send everything into the trash just yet.

• Like 2

bc.gold

Corn head grease.

One side of the gear case comes with the gear and drive pin installed.

Making an observation the drive pin is located closer to the centre line, shorter stroke less stress on the drive pin, a ha ha gotcha moment from the manufacture. My GF vibrator has a longer stroke.

spacer.png

o

Edited by bc.gold

bc.gold

All that's left to do, trim the pin then reassemble the Hackzall with some good grease.

Had to heat the gear to install the pin, $6.00 cobalt drill.

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Excellent 1

Mark Gabriel

Just had a stainless steel pin and bush made for gearbox..works a treat. £15 for both.

953 nut

:WRS:

Welcome @Mark Gabriel, please tell us a bit about yourself and your Wheel Horses.         We love pictures if you would like to share some.

rjg854
4 hours ago, Mark Gabriel said:

Just had a stainless steel pin and bush made for gearbox..works a treat. £15 for both.

:WRS:

Handy Don
On 1/2/2023 at 1:48 PM, bc.gold said:

does not perform well in sub zero weather

I’m not sure it is fair to expect a tool made for general tradesfolk to operate well at sub-zero temperatures. I’d check the owner manual for the temp range. 

I know that tool makers have specialty tool lines for use in difficult conditions that use different materials and lubrication--and are priced accordingly.

Mark Gabriel

If the clearance on the pin is correct then it has to be right ..also the pins are not available so it's manufacture a new pin and boss or replace the whole gear..I know what I would do.? 

wh500special
3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I’m not sure it is fair to expect a tool made for general tradesfolk to operate well at sub-zero temperatures. ...

Generally agreed, but he's in Canada with their Celsius scale...Subzero for them is barely chilly for us. :hide:

Steve

• Haha 1

Mark Gabriel

In reply handy Don to be fair I know where your coming from .I can only imagine what you have to deal with on a daily basis..as regards to temperature thanks for your comments. 

Mark Gabriel

In reply Steve. Yes your right. Apologies to you  and Don if I came across as rude..it wasn't meant to be .

wh500special

I didn’t detect any rudeness. No problem. 

I’m not sure my wry joke landed well, either. 

steve. 

Handy Don

All good here.

I don’t want to come across as an apologist, but I’ve worked alongside engineers tasked with designing tools and manufacturing equipment that must meet specs including a price point. It is a dee ay em en hard job and they certainly don’t always get it right but it is impressive that so many things DO work as expected!

I have said here before that I would happily buy dinner to have a chance to sit down and chat with some of the WH engineers!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ bc.gold , not just " good grease "  must be a specific , hi temp , polyurea based lubricant , seen many lubrication failures , thinking that grease is grease , J D related grease as well as LUCAS  xtra hd , green chassis  grease , is a anti sling hi stress lube  made for brutal conditions , if you are right there in replacement stage , detail it in for operational movement ease . pete

Mark Gabriel

Thanks Pete for your reply about grease..I was going to use automobile cv joint grease as this is high temperature. Would this be suitable?.or what could I use..cheers