Sign in to follow this  
73-18 automatic

Wheelhorse 857

73-18 automatic

What can you all tell me about a 857 got this today looks to be all original just never seen one of these was told it was running last year

IM001443.jpg

IM001442.jpg

IM001440.jpg

IM001439.jpg

IM001441.jpg

IM001437.jpg

thanks for any info

Coadster32

Well, It's a 8hp Kohler with electric start made in 1967. The hood looks good, but the lights don't belong. I'm just stating the obvoius though. Others will know way more by the pics. Good luck with it.

73-18 automatic

:thumbs2: I was told that it runs but third gear is gone how hard is this tractor to find parts fit it hopefully not as hard as my D's :thumbs:

stevasaurus

I love mine...use it to plow snow and mow grass...it is a great horse and there seems to be a lot of them out there. I have had no trouble finding parts, but I have not had to look for many. Your trans is a #5053...should be able to find one. Not sure about parts for it. Others will chime in.

Nice looking horse...I would get rid of those lights though...just me :thumbs:

the bug eyes look better. :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Ahh the infamous third gear issue. Alot can be said about that...

Ball detent missing, rounded out hi gear, rounded out input gear, thin shift fork.

If you dig up a post I did in the tranny section, you'll see some of these pics in there. (some are in a 551 restore post I did also) Third gear engages the least out of any. When POs slam third gear and grind it, it doesn't take much to chew up third gear, and the input gear together. They only mesh approx. 1/4". Not much room to spare. Sometimes the ball falls out, and the detent doesn't hold it into gear. That isn't usually the prob. though. When the gears get ground, they will slip out under load anyway, as the ball won't hold it. This primarily will happen in third only. Also, I've had two trannys now where the shift fork was worn thin. Even if the gears are good, and the ball detent is good, the gear just doesn't move over far enough. If you have a keen eye for it, you can remove the shifter, and see the shift fork, and input gear. That will give you a good idea of the issue before you break the case open.

As far as parts, ask around. I picked-up a "tranny in a box" at the big WH show this year for $25. Third gear is unavail. from toro. New, all others cost 1 arm and two legs. Finding a donor tranny isn't a bad way to go. I've heard of people welding the tips of the gears back on and the filing them, but you won't see me doing that. When they break off, they gotta go somewhere.

73-18 automatic

Cool I will keep my eyes open for a transmission anywhere special I should look thanks for all the info

stevasaurus

My 3rd gear does the same thing...under load...stays in 3rd if no load...hold it in if I put a load on it. Bottom line, don't put a load on it...you can't plow snow that fast and you can't mow that fast either...especially if you like riding the horse. It's like the man said...it's a 1967, got alot of guts, can get parts, enjoy the ride. :thumbs2:

It is an excellent tractor.

here is mine...

wheelhorse857002.jpg

:thumbs:

73-18 automatic

Update It RUNS smokes but does run smokes on throttle up generator is loud and so is transmission but it does run and move but like I was told 3rd gear is gone does not even work thanks for all the info guess I am looking and a rebuild this winter

RORY K.

just bought one in real nice condition

• Like 1

rjg854
1 hour ago, RORY K. said:

just bought one in real nice condition

:WRS:

Got any pictures?