76c12091520h

The end of the road for the K & B Horse Hauler

Ed Kennell

Buy an ugly white work truck and dip it.

See the source image

• Haha 4

squonk
7 hours ago, Handy Don said:

From conversations with friends in the DPW, one way to get these sorts of vehicles today is via a fleet contract. In NY, governments (and school districts) can order through a state contract from a menu of vehicles. 

Apparently it is possible to "special order" via dealer for individuals, as well, but you'll have to do your own ordering homework and work hard to resist "up selling" at the dealer!

When I was working for the state when the dept "needed " a truck it was  spec'd out and was put out to bid to local dealers and ordered thru them. You pretty much had to wait about 10 month's to get it though. Navy Blue 3/4 ton  Fords that didn't carry more than a snow shovel!:)

8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Do they even make such a thing as NO FRILLS any more? There isn't any profit in selling a truck that isn't loaded with Extras.

I have a retired engineer friend who insists on no frills. Years ago he had to order a brand new S-10 PU with no AC or Radio. When the truck arrived he had a fit because it had an antenna. He made them replace the fender with one with no antenna hole. He didn't let them remove the antenna and just plug the hole with a plastic cap.

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don

15 minutes ago, squonk said:

You pretty much had to wait about 10 month's to get it though

One of the "upsale" ploys, right? "Well, Mr. Smith, if we halfta order it it'll take at least six months to get here. Don't you want to be using your new truck sooner? I have one I'm sure you'd like out on the lot that I can have prepped and ready for you this afternoon!"

16 minutes ago, squonk said:

... he had a fit because it had an antenna. He made them replace the fender with one with no antenna hole. He didn't let them remove the antenna and just plug the hole with a plastic cap

Great example of how hard it can be to "special order" something that isn't the dealer's usual stock in trade. I'm kinda amazed that a fender without the hole could even be had!

• Like 1

76c12091520h
28 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

One of the "upsale" ploys, right? "Well, Mr. Smith, if we halfta order it it'll take at least six months to get here. Don't you want to be using your new truck sooner? I have one I'm sure you'd like out on the lot that I can have prepped and ready for you this afternoon!"

Great example of how hard it can be to "special order" something that isn't the dealer's usual stock in trade. I'm kinda amazed that a fender without the hole could even be had!

Try special ordering something now , given the supply chain issues we're currently dealing with. Dealers around me barely have anything in inventory , let alone something I'm interested in......

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
1 hour ago, 76c12091520h said:

Try special ordering something now , given the supply chain issues we're currently dealing with.

The grand poohbahs of market prognostication are calling for lots of available inventory in the near future (especially repos) now that consumers appear to be tapped out.  That’s of little help right now, of course, but good luck - I hope it works out.

• Like 1