76c12091520h

The end of the road for the K & B Horse Hauler

76c12091520h

In late 2014 I ordered a new 2015 Toyota Tundra Limited, best truck I've ever owned. Only one of us made it home safely on Thursday. I have no idea what I'm going to replace it with because I'm not really in love with anything currently offered by any manufacturer. I do however get to spend another Xmas with my family and you guys and for that I'm thankful.( bruised and battered, but thankful ) 

Also : for those of you that don't know , I do collision work for a living , and I have preached this for years :  WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS! I probably wouldn't be here if I hadn't...

1001171802a[1].jpg

20221215_170007[1].jpg

20221216_155003[1].jpg

20221216_155033[1].jpg

20221216_155044[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 12
  • Heart 6

nylyon

Wow, glad only bruises!

• Like 3

Sparky

Wow! So glad to hear that you’re OK! 
 I also drive a Tundra. 
 The new Tundras look good (my opinion anyway) but they seem to have lost their Consumer Reports ratings as a good choice. New model issues I suspect. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Bill D

Wow!  Glad you're okay!  

• Like 2

Zeek

Ouch! Glad you are okay! There is no "legitimate" argument against seat belts after having been in law enforcement for over 30 years (in PA) . . .  I've seen it all. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
16 minutes ago, 76c12091520h said:

WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS! I probably wouldn't be here if I hadn't...

Without belts and bags you probably would have been hospitalized or worse.  Glad you came through it well.

• Like 3

lynnmor
8 minutes ago, Sparky said:

The new Tundras look good (my opinion anyway) but they seem to have lost their Consumer Reports ratings as a good choice. 

If Consumer Reports doesn’t like it, that is a good reason to buy one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Just glad to hear your OK KB .

The missus just wacked a deer with her Prius and was all worried about the car. It's just plastic and metal and can be repaired/replaced. You can't be I told her.

She always wears a belt but I seldom do... I know Zeek but I used to defy the helmet law too. 

Bad roads @76c12091520h

• Like 3

76c12091520h
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Just glad to hear your OK KB .

The missus just wacked a deer with her Prius and was all worried about the car. It's just plastic and metal and can be repaired/replaced. You can't be I told her.

She always wears a belt but I seldom do... I know Zeek but I used to defy the helmet law too. 

Bad roads @76c12091520h

Snow and ice, about 35 - 40 mph on a slight left curve, in 4 wheel drive, turned the wheels with no response , grazed the guardrail on the passenger side , then in bit in and threw me hard left and head on into a Jeep SUV ,

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

SylvanLakeWH

Glad you're ok...

• Like 1

EB-80/8inPA

Ditto.  Trucks are replaceable, dads aren’t.  I’m sure the family was happy you fared better than the truck.  I must say though, that was a pretty sweet vehicle!

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Proud you are OK. Check out the new Fords. Stay safe for you and your wife.

Merry Christmas 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Seat belts and safety glasses....never leave home without them.           Sure glade you're OK.     Jeep occupants OK ?

• Like 2

76c12091520h
57 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Seat belts and safety glasses....never leave home without them.           Sure glade you're OK.     Jeep occupants OK ?

Everyone walked away

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

Glad to hear y’all will be alright!  If you’re in the used market and are willing to buy out of state, I’ve found TX and OK to be great sources!  I even have a contact of a lady in FL who brokers trucks for delivery all over the states.  I don’t even get commission, I’m just a satisfied customer!

• Like 1

squonk

Back in '92 I was driving a little 85 Toyota PU like the one pictured but had 33" tires on it.

This Rugged '85 Toyota Pickup Is Built for the Long Run ...

Hit black ice and went into a ditch at an angle and those big tires flung the truck back up and out. Barrel rolled it 6 times and ended up back on the wheels facing the opposite direction from where I was headed. Snapped off a 4 x 4 pole and almost ended up in the woods. Glass everywhere. All I got was a tiny cut on 1 finger that I didn't even know I had until the sheriff pointed it out. Seat belt saved me. No air bags or anything else. Not wearing a seat belt is just plain selfish and stupid.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

Tonytoro416

Happy to hear that you’re healthy and not hurt as side from your hurt feelings.  The right truck will come along be patient and you will find what you want. Years from now it will be the best truck you ever had.  Lots of love happy holidays buddy

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Very glad to hear you are okay. Too many people who don't wear seat belt end up DOA.

• Like 1

rjg854

So happy to hear how well it went for everyone involved.  Glad you were able to walk away.  I agree on the newer trucks, 4 regular doors and a short box.  That's not a truck in my humble opinion.  Seems like that is all any manufacturer builds lately.  What happened that's there no need for work trucks anymore.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, rjg854 said:

What happened that's there no need for work trucks anymore.

Well... "work" trucks assume they are used for work... very few actually are... most are 1-2 year leases and the tiny beds never get used...

Ive been looking around for a 2 door 8' bed truck... no frills... ya nope... 

• Like 2

squonk

Work trucks are available. But to get one you pretty much have to order one or find a big city dealer who has a fleet dept. On occasion you can find a dealer who has a few off lease work trucks they picked up cheap at an auction. Our local Chevy dealer has about a half dozen full size work vans at the moment. They have also been there a while. One reason why dealers don't carry work trucks in stock. They aren't worth keeping on a floor plan and if they need one they can usually get one from a fleet dealer.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

c-series don

@76c12091520h I’m glad everyone is doing well. As a volunteer firefighter for over 34 years I’ve been to plenty of accidents, and cut out many people from their vehicles. One particular accident occurred when two almost identical Jeep Cherokees hit almost head on going around I’m guessing 35-40 mph. One of the women had her seatbelt on and was able to walk away with minor injuries. The other didn’t have it on and suffered compound fractures on her femurs when her legs jammed into the dashboard. Right then and there I pointed out to my fellow firefighters the value of wearing a seatbelt. 

• Like 4

953 nut
22 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Ive been looking around for a 2 door 8' bed truck... no frills.

Do they even make such a thing as NO FRILLS any more? There isn't any profit in selling a truck that isn't loaded with Extras.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Handy Don
19 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Do they even make such a thing as NO FRILLS any more? There isn't any profit in selling a truck that isn't loaded with Extras.

From conversations with friends in the DPW, one way to get these sorts of vehicles today is via a fleet contract. In NY, governments (and school districts) can order through a state contract from a menu of vehicles. 

Apparently it is possible to "special order" via dealer for individuals, as well, but you'll have to do your own ordering homework and work hard to resist "up selling" at the dealer!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

rmaynard

My car and truck do not go into Drive without all passengers seat belted (my rule). My wife has a 2014 Subaru Outback, and I drive a 2014 Toyota Tacoma. Both are considered safe vehicles by the NTSB, however we were in South Dakota in 2019 and we rented a 2019 Outback. Without their EyeSight feature, we would have rear-ended a car that suddenly changed lanes and slammed on the brakes. I know not every event can be avoided, and ice is one that defies all safety features.

Glad you were not seriously hurt.