WV_Crusader

First post and question 418-8

WV_Crusader

Hey everyone! I’m Matt from Triadelphia, WV. I grew up with my dad having a C-125 then a Toro Wheel Horse 8-Speed and my pap having a B80 before my uncle taking it over.  I have always loved these tractors and finally started looking to add to my beginning collection. I currently have several Lawn-Boy push mowers from a 16:1 I just got to a late 98 one, 7 in total and hoping to grow that. 

My brother called me last night and said his neighbor has a 418-8 that he has restored much of with a side discharge deck. He is wanting $2750.00 OBO. I have attached pictures of it he took for me.

152A42F4-CCE5-4AFA-9493-2538559E95D2.jpeg

10C99B59-3004-4141-BB98-CE0D1207CD45.jpeg

6DF39B6F-FC38-47B9-A990-6D5BC0943A44.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

WV_Crusader

67D13D81-874F-4CEA-8C77-F0FC64574471.jpeg

8C4E2A5A-BCAD-4425-B72C-C82765CD1223.jpeg

6B71BCEF-31F8-4064-B4A4-F220537EF607.jpeg

• Like 3

WV_Crusader

So as you can see it’s beautiful like all Wheel Horse tractors! 

My question is what would be a good offer?

• Like 2

The Freightliner Guy

:text-welcomewave: to the forum and that is a beautiful tractor I think @Pullstart might know it’s value.

Kollin:D

• Like 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  That’s not really my wheel house, but I have a feeling he’ll have a tough time getting that for a restoration done 8 years ago.  Were the wearable parts fitted with bushings and greasable points, or was it just painted?  Both, many people call restoration.  Compared to a brand new tractor of similar price range, this is hands down better.  That doesn’t always say it’s worth asking price.  Does it have other attachments?

• Like 4

D_Mac

Beautiful machine there.  I bet it runs as good as it looks. To me 2k isn't unreasonable but would be on the high side. I have paid to little for some and too much for others. What are you comfortable paying for it ?  It's an older restoration, no other attachments. I believe 2750 is his I don't want to sell it price. 1500 - 1750 in my opinion would be fair offer.

• Like 5

oliver2-44
8 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Beautiful machine there.  I bet it runs as good as it looks. To me 2k isn't unreasonable but would be on the high side. I have paid to little for some and too much for others. What are you comfortable paying for it ?  It's an older restoration, no other attachments. I believe 2750 is his I don't want to sell it price. 1500 - 1750 in my opinion would be fair offer.

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

WV_Crusader

Thanks everyone! I wish I would have looked online sooner for this site, found tons of great info, pictures and memories from others!

I agree if I could get him down to even $2200 I would be happy with that. The deck is only thing that comes with it so I would need to start looking for a blade. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

1sr!!!...Welcome to Red Square.  Obviously, that is a beautiful horse and the 418-8 is a great garden tractor.  Issue is, it is almost impossible for us to put a price on things just looking at pictures.  What the guys are trying to do, is tell you what to take a look at...be knowledgeable.  The price is always about what the seller will let it go for and what the buyer wants to pay.  That said, in my case, (and you have to look at this)  a bunch of us will never pay that much for a tractor.( I have 5 and they all work)  A few might.  Our opinions do not matter then when you look at that.  Listen to what the guys are telling you to look at...check it out...come here and ask more questions.  Remember, you can put lip stick on a pig??  We are here to help and offer opinions.  Again, Welcome to the Forum.  :occasion-xmas:

Edited by stevasaurus
  • Like 4

pacer

I agree with the other posts on '"restoration" and the widely varying differences in them, and price. Even down here in the south where WH's are scarce I cant imagine anyone paying that -- other than a rabid Horse collector. It IT IS a very nice looking tractor, but........

• Like 2

WV_Crusader

I agree, and appreciate the things to look for when seeing if it’s just paint or brass bushing installed with grease fittings and better bearings, etc. I know we did a lot on my dad’s before his passing and we always upgraded things like that for the longevity of wear items. 

I will definitely comb it over and ask questions to see what all he has done as far as “restoration”. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

JoeM

Shop around, there are much better deals out there.........Unless you are totally in love then :wub:

• Like 4

WV_Crusader

I have been searching my truck state area for several months now and coming up short. But that’s not to say once I lay eyes on it and see something like a cracked frame, if he lets me check compression I am going to, etc and that will tell me more along with keeping my eyes open within a couple hour drive.  

thank you all and if you think of other things I should check on or know anyone close to northern WV that has Horses I’m all eyes and ears!

• Like 2

D_Mac

Here is another option. I never buy the "Finished" ones. I enjoy doing the work that they need. Buy one that falls into your comfort zone as to what you are able to fix. You can pick them up much cheaper and fix them up how you like. It's great that you appreciate the quality of these machines. Couple of years ago I picked up a 416-8. Didn't pay alot for it. Did the work it needed. Added a few custom pieces and when it was finished I was proud of how it came out. I wound up selling it but still have the memories of time spent with it. Here are a few before and afters. Nothing wrong with buying one all finished, just something to think about.

20210314_232155.jpg

20210314_232215.jpg

20210314_232229.jpg

20210314_232248.jpg

20210314_232502.jpg

20210314_232432.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

WV_Crusader

Yes indeed! I would love to find a C-125 that I could do a true restoration on and dedicate it to my dad. But honestly if I could find a decent shape 8 speed I would be ecstatic and still do a full resto on it! 

• Like 2

RED-Z06

Locally to me that tractor would be a seller at 1500ish...old stuff doesn't bring big money unless you find a collector 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher

WV; :WRS: I think you are in love. I have been there you go blind with the felling of beauty and need. Like :text-yeahthat: you really need to do your homework on this because of the price, in the end you will be happy you made a good move of what you would like to buy.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

That is very strong money for a Wheel Horse that hasn't had the engine rebuilt with new internals. It is very good looking and you have the right idea by doing a compression check. If you absolutely love the 418-8 and it is your must have then buy it. You won't remember how much you paid for it if it is a no-regrets buy.

I have a 418-C (automatic) and it is my go-to snow mover. The twin cylinder Kohler magnum is a great engine and although I have much less than that in it I did turn down a $ 1,500 offer. Not nearly a beautiful as the one you are looking at but would be hard to replace at that price.

It is also a great leaf blower!

101_2543.JPG.14d8ccb9d79fb9a62390873269d5dbfc.JPG

• Excellent 6

Joe Shmo

^I love your leaf blower and tractor of course 

• Like 2

Sailman

The guys here are giving you some good advice. I couldn't make out the hours but that should be a consideration. It does look like a very nice tractor but I too think that's a pretty high price without a bunch of equipment.

One last consideration....what do you plan to use it for? I have a couple of 16 HP models and they are beasts for heavy duty (plowing, tilling, etc.) but they do like to suck down the fuel. My C-120 hydro does just fine for most jobs (especially grass cutting) and is a bit easier on the fuel.

I personally set my price, see how long it doesn't sell, then make my offer.

Good luck whichever way you go! 

• Like 1

WV_Crusader

Great looking setups and advice!!

Ultimate plan is to get a 48” plow, bagger, dump cart. 

I don’t burn firewood, but I have 3 acres and want to clean up all the trees that fell and split them up and haul the wood out to stack for camping fire wood. Plow drive way, mow grass, etc.

granted my dads C-125 we did it all with it and it never complained, even pulling stumps that we dug around. 

• Like 1

WV_Crusader

Sorry hours are 1099.5

D_Mac

ooooooooh..... dont get us us started on dump carts... we love our trailers !!!

• Like 1

RED-Z06
33 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

ooooooooh..... dont get us us started on dump carts... we love our trailers !!!

Yep..love mine.  Best hundred bucks ive spent 

20220319_164237.jpg

20220319_164219.jpg

20220319_164344.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

The Freightliner Guy

I know this is completely off topic but nice obs and of course nice horse red 

• Heart 1