Sign in to follow this  
LeonardS

Harbor Freight 6.5 HP

LeonardS

Harbor Freight has a coupon for the 6.5 HP engines at $99. I have a 551 without an engine and was considering using one of these engines. $99 is about as cheap as I have seen them. Do any of you have experience with these engines?

http://www.harborfreight.com/predator-212-...rnia-68120.html

Leonard

wheelhorse656

My grandpa ownes a HF portable Gen. and a 5hp HF honda clone the clone was ok a little hard to start in the winter but it was unstopable though! The gen is the same way! they are good engines! i would suggest trying to find a original engine for your tractor though. good luck :dunno:

jusjeepn

The add you refered to says $149.99 :dunno: :wh:

LeonardS

The add you refered to says $149.99 :dunno::wh:

The coupon is available in several of the automotive and tractor restoration magazines. I attached the link so you could see the engine I was talking about.......also the fact that it is an additional $50 savings from their sale price.

Leonard

midnight rambler

I have 2 of these engines and for the money Yes they are great for the money

VinsRJ

I have had a couple of these motors with no issues. :wh:

Now let the Pro-Americans complain...... :dunno:

can whlvr

i live in ontario and we have a place that sells similar motor but we call them power fist,i also have 2 wheelhorses with original hondas too,i will never but one of those chinese pieces of --it again,nothing but pure crap,i have a 6.5,it was ok for a couple of years then it started acting up,cant adjust the carb,it missed from getgo,then no spark,getting parts is a chore too,i love my kohlers first,then my true hondas,i have one on a c160 thats over 20 years old,been on many things i own and never gave me any trouble and i bought it from the rental company and it was on a packer,so it has seen some work,jmo

PECVD2

I've used an 11HP Greyhound (HF) in my 64 David Bradley for around two years and work it pretty hard...no problems to date.

BTW I am going to rebuild the original 7.25 B&S once I find a decent replacement carb to replace the original PITA two part flowjet carb and find the energy to put it all back together. :dunno:

DBwith11hpHF2-1.jpg

Mykol610

I have the 420cc Harbor Freight motor & I like it. The only complaints I have with it was the rope for the pull-start snapped but mine has electric start so it's all ok. And the oil fill and drains are at the same level so you'll have to tip the tractor forward or back to change the oil. I got an off road jack for that. I've never had any problems with it yet... But only time will tell.

Rooster

I've used an 11HP Greyhound (HF) in my 64 David Bradley for around two years and work it pretty hard...no problems to date.

BTW I am going to rebuild the original 7.25 B&S once I find a decent replacement carb to replace the original PITA two part flowjet carb and find the energy to put it all back together. :dunno:

DBwith11hpHF2-1.jpg

You sure that was a Flow-Jet and not a Warlboro?

bringing up this old thread

just bought a Harbor Freight Predator 212 CC  because they were on sale for $99.99.  have not run it yet , not sure what i'm going to do with it. doesn't look like it would fit well in place of the H60 on my Lawn Ranger.....i wouldn't do it anyway since the H60 runs great and i have an extra H60 ready to go as a backup

from what i can see so far it looks like a quality piece , and googling around  they have a good reputation.  you can even get speed parts for it...exhaust header , racing camshaft , billet connecting rod,  adapters for a Mikuni carburetor ,etc.  some websites claim they can get 26 HP out of it. i will probably put it on a mini bike

illinilefttackle

Just sold a 656 that I replaced the HH-60 with the very engine you are talking about-really works well-Al

IMG_20130209_161047.jpg

IMG_20130209_171040.jpg

IMG_20130210_154008.jpg

IMG_20130210_154019.jpg

Here is the finished tractor-Al

DSC04405.jpg

littleredrider

I was gonna put one of those engines on a ranger, I think it would fit, but would require some mods. Just can't remember what...I do have a HF 13 horse on my 63 ranger. It's been on for a couple years now, snow blower duty and now mowing duties. Starts on the first pull, winter or summer. It has electric start, but battery died, and really don't need it. It has plenty of power. I put a stack type muffler, and air filter adapter so i didn't have to cut the hood. It all fits under the round hood. I think I changed the oil in twice, and it gets worked hard, and still is caramel color. I wish the had the 16 horse out, would have gotten that....IMO, great motors for the price...

Xjchief

Just sold a 656 that I replaced the HH-60 with the very engine you are talking about-really works well-Al

IMG_20130209_161047.jpg

IMG_20130209_171040.jpg

IMG_20130210_154008.jpg

IMG_20130210_154019.jpg

Here is the finished tractor-Al

DSC04405.jpg

I have a 606 with a bad tecumseh hh60 and was thinking of doing this swap did you have any issues I should know about?

Pullstart

I was considering using my 212 predator for a temporary replacement for my 502, the mounting patterns are off considerably and I believe the crank height was 1/2" short, plus a crankshaft sleeve would be needed for the stock pulley.  I guess if said adapter for mounting patterns was 1/2" high that would help to align things.