Prater

I am not going to tear this one all the way down. I just want to get it in good running order and use it around the house. Dont make fun of the Grille, theres a new one on the way.

The wiring harness is all messed up so I will probably be wiring it from scratch. there are a few parts I need and a few parts that are questionable. Here are a few pics, notice how someone jerry-rigged the coils, and I am sure I will need a PTO engage rod. They also took out all the safety switches. I took off the Bolens three point mower and stashed it behind the fence...

IMG_1730.jpg

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1734.jpg

I am fortunate that dad installed a winch on the trailer. It was on sale at Harbor Freight for $49. It pulled the D180 on the trailer(Partially with the parking brake on) with no problem. Here is a video link of me using the winch to off load the tractor into the garage.

rickv1957

Steven.the D180 also had a larger air filter than the one shown,about 3" tall,Rick

Prater

Rick,

I just put that one on there to keep things out of the carb while I work on it. You have a an extra PTO rod?

rickv1957

Steven,will have to do some checking on a pto rod,Rick

Prater

Rick,

Do they make a front PTO for this tractor?

Prater

Here are the parts I know of that I need for the tractor:

103992 Instrument Plate

102885 Trans Oil Temp

104682 Wiring Harness

102892 Hydro Knob

960154 Whizlock for the knob

102927 Rear Clutch Rod

103039 Front clutch Rod

Also looking for the safety switch for the PTO but dont know the part number

Rollerman

Steven that looks like a pretty straight D.

I'm just about done going through an 18Auto, takes a little time with all the parts...."heavy parts too"

I've seen a few D's turn up with that coil mod.

The factory Kohler coil is kinda pricey & two standard coils were probably a cheaper solution.

TT pointed out to another member here a Harley Davidson coil will work & be much cheaper than the Kohler part.

Whats wrong with he PTO engageing linkage rod?

I see it's bowed some but they do have a curve in them to clear the engine & air filter.

Prater

It was cut and welded on. Just preference I guess.

Rollerman

It was cut and welded on. Just preference I guess.

Wasn't able to see it in the pics or missed it.

Yeah hack stuff like that bothers me too.

rickv1957

I have seen a lot of Ds with repaired pto linkage rods,Rick

d180man

Hi rick is right on the rod ! our first d looks just like that and it works fine we have used our tiller and 60" 3pt mower fine on it ! that is a nice looking d wheelhorse ! :notworthy: :thumbs:

Prater

I have got to start looking for a tiller as soon as I have her running and the 3 point operating again...doubt I find anything close to Oklahoma though.

d180man

We still may be getting a 2 tiller in that we dont need but if you can find some one that will take it a part to ship is best than shipping on a pallet that is what we think but you just have to keep looking it is funny where you will find some of the stuff for them ! :notworthy: but good luck on your d you will love it ! :thumbs: :WRS:

Prater

I dont mind a road trip if the price is good on a tiller. Let me know.

I have most of the parts I need now. Just need that temperature guage now.

Prater

I built most of the wiring harness tonight. I am still waiting for the safety switches to arrive so I just bypassed them for now. She started right up, then I had to kill her realizing the garage door was down and it was 11:40PM...Oops...I did check the 3 point and it raised and lowered fine. I will see if it looses presure overnight. I just have to wire in the lights and remaining gauges. I used the color code from the manual to keep everything organized. All the connectors are soldered and heat shrinked to protect from vibration.

I also took off the homade grill prepping it for the replacement. I noticed that the crank shaft is splined like a PTo can be mounted on the front. What parts shoudl I be looking for to mount the front pto, or is the shaft all there is?

IMG_1738.jpg

tgranthamfd

Rick,

I just put that one on there to keep things out of the carb while I work on it. You have a an extra PTO rod?

Hey is that a 10 horse air breather?? :thumbs: Glad you got it running, Got any pics of the wireing job, I got to do a littlt, too. Minor stuff like head lights on my 80 model C-BlackHood :notworthy:

bitten

Prater

I have never seen any thing other then a snow blower on the front of a D, and it doesnt mount to the lower(rear) PTO that you have pictured. It has its own pulley and the belt goes on the front groove of the PTO.

Wheel Horse has that cut out at the front of the rear PTO for something but I do not know what it would be for.

Nice looking tractor you have there. Good luck with her and have fun.

P.J.

rickv1957

Steve your pto looks right just the way it is,Rick

clintonnut

I think the only thing they took the block out plate for was the loader

Charlie

Prater

Thanks Guys,

Terry,

Yep thats off the 10. As soon as my new one gets here I will get it to you and Garry. I needed to keep things from getting dropped in the carb.

d180man

Prater

I have never seen any thing other then a snow blower on the front of a D, and it doesnt mount to the lower(rear) PTO that you have pictured. It has its own pulley and the belt goes on the front groove of the PTO.

Wheel Horse has that cut out at the front of the rear PTO for something but I do not know what it would be for.

Nice looking tractor you have there. Good luck with her and have fun.

P.J.

Hi they had a brush cutter too that went up front ! but it works just like the snowblower it uses a belt ! i have never see some thing that was hook to the front running off to pto ! and the loader should run by a belt too! i know d250 run off the front ! but my 550 runs by a belt ! but good luck with it ! still looking good !! :notworthy: :thumbs:

Prater

A few more things. Started the engine today. Runs fine, just a puff of smoke at startup then its clear. The pto clutch is not working. The clutch is engaged all the time. I will get it figured out though. The other thing is I tried the 3 point and it did not work. The tractor would not go forward or reverse either so I shut it down and checked the fluid. Nothing on the dipstick. i guess when i ran the 3 point last night is sucked up all the fluid. Do you use motor oil like suggested in the user manual?

jdog_kustoms

i used 10w30 motor oil in mine ti runs great

d180man

Hi look under the seat there should be a decal that will say what to use if it is still there? but ours use motor oil ! and i think it is 10w30 with out looking it up ! and check the vavle that it is turned in ! good luck ! :notworthy: :thumbs:

rickv1957

Steve,Curtis is right,make sure tow valve is closed,it is located on left side above running board,it takes a screwdriver,if it is already closed and you are full of oil and tractor wont move,Iwill stop here for now,Rick